Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
04 May 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing Shuts Down Subway Stations to Slow Spread of COVID-19 VOA 04 May 2022 -- Authorities in Beijing have shut down dozens of subway stations as part of its efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19.
- Chinese mainland reports 353 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases, 260 in Shanghai People's Daily 04 May 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Tuesday reported 353 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 260 were in Shanghai, according to the National Health Commission's report Wednesday.
- Beijing's Chaoyang district asks residents to work from home from Thursday amid fresh flare-up Global Times 04 May 2022 -- Residents in Beijing's most populous Chaoyang district have to start working from home on Thursday, and those who must work in their offices are advised to travel by themselves and reduce gatherings at companies, the Beijing government announced on Wednesday, following its fresh COVID-19 flare-up that has seen over 500 infections since the end of April.
- Shanghai sees stable, improving epidemic situation; youth thanked for efforts in COVID battle Global Times 04 May 2022 -- Omicron-stricken Shanghai has seen a stable and improving epidemic situation with the daily tally of new COVID-19 infections dropping below 5,000 for the first time on Tuesday and two-thirds of the city's population now outside quarantine.
- Chinese COVID-19 vaccines safe, effective: Cambodian official People's Daily 04 May 2022 -- Cambodian health ministry's secretary of state and spokeswoman Or Vandine has said that China's Sinovac and Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective, and the jabs are essential to protect lives.
- 2,092 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 04 May 2022 -- A total of 2,092 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland on Tuesday, the National Health Commission said in its Wednesday report.
- Beijing to continue strict anti-virus measures amid 53 new cases in last 24 hours, postpone resuming classes for a week Global Times 04 May 2022 -- All kindergartens, primary and middle schools and secondary vocational schools in Beijing will postpone resuming classes for a week until May 11.
- Shanghai reports 260 confirmed, 4,722 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 04 May 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported 260 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 4,722 local asymptomatic cases on Tuesday, the municipal health commission said Wednesday.
- China amphibious assault ship held live-fire drills in South China Sea Radio Free Asia 04 May 2022 -- China's largest Type 075-class amphibious assault ship Hainan has conducted combat training and live fire drills in the South China Sea, Chinese media reported.
- Taiwan on front line of Chinese disinformation, cyberattacks: Blinken CNA 04 May 2022 -- Taiwan is on the front line of Chinese disinformation and cyberattacks, which is why the U.S. is partnering with it to build greater resilience against Beijing's disinformation efforts, United States Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Tuesday.
- PLA's Y-8 anti-submarine warfare aircraft resumes patrols around Taiwan island Global Times 04 May 2022 -- A Y-8 anti-submarine warfare aircraft of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) reportedly conducted a maritime patrol mission near the island of Taiwan on Tuesday, two months since this type of aircraft last appeared in the region, amid speculation that an aircraft of this type had an accident in March.
- Experts Anticipate Stricter Rule in Hong Kong Under Beijing's Favored Candidate VOA 04 May 2022 -- Experts say Hong Kong's only endorsed candidate for upcoming leadership elections is likely to take a harder-line approach on the city's freedoms than outgoing Chief Executive Carrie Lam.
- China casts its 'SkyNet' far and wide, pursuing tens of thousands who flee overseas Radio Free Asia 04 May 2022 -- The Chinese Communist Party (CCP)'s law enforcement agencies routinely track, harass, threaten and repatriate people who flee the country, many of them Turkic-speaking Uyghurs, under its SkyNet surveillance program that reaches far beyond China's borders, using a variety of means to have them forcibly repatriated.
- Musk's Twitter acquisition prompts renewed fear of Chinese influence, infiltration Radio Free Asia 04 May 2022 -- Elon Musk's Twitter takeover has sparked fears that the platform may now be more vulnerable to Beijing's influence, amid an ongoing overseas influence and infowar campaign by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
- Beijing Reportedly Conducted Massive 'Stress Test' Modeling Impact of Russia-Style Sanctions on PRC Sputnik 04 May 2022 -- The reported test comes on the heels of an emergency conference involving Chinese state regulators and major domestic and foreign banks last month discussing how the Asian nation's assets could be protected if the US imposed Russia-style restrictions on the People's Republic.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list