Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
02 May 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Zero-COVID policy in Chinese border city stops freight to North Korea Radio Free Asia 02 May 2022 -- North Korea and China are again suspending rail freight as Beijing's zero-Covid policy spreads to cities on the Sino-Korean border, sources in both countries told RFA.
- Beijing to conduct three more rounds of testing in three days to stamp out latest flare-up Global Times 02 May 2022 -- The city of Beijing will conduct another three rounds of mass testing in 11 major administrative districts and the Yizhuang economic development zone in the three days starting Tuesday, to curb the spread of COVID-19 as epidemic control in the Chinese capital remains at "a critical stage."
- World's 1st Omicron-specific inactivated vaccine administered in China's Hangzhou Global Times 02 May 2022 -- The first dose of COVID-19 inactivated vaccine specifically against the Omicron variant was administered on Sunday during a clinical trial in Hangzhou, East China's Zhejiang Province, bringing hope to people in the regions hit by the highly transmissible variant.
- Shanghai dispatches 160,000 personnel for disinfection covering 13,000 residential compounds as new cases keep declining Global Times 02 May 2022 -- As part of achieving the goal of eliminating the COVID-19 cases at the community level, Shanghai is carrying out citywide cleaning and disinfection covering 13,000 residential compounds in the city, local authority said on Monday, noting that nearly 1 million delivery packages are being disinfected every day.
- Chinese mainland reports 846 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 02 May 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Sunday reported 846 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 727 were in Shanghai, according to the National Health Commission's report Monday.
- HKSAR gov't continues tracing COVID-19 through sewage surveillance People's Daily 02 May 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government announced on Sunday that the COVID-19 virus has recently been detected in sewage samples from some areas in the city, indicating that there may be hidden cases in the premises in these areas.
- Chinese vice premier stresses cutting off COVID-19 transmission in Shanghai communities People's Daily 02 May 2022 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan has urged solid efforts to stay on the target of cutting off COVID-19 transmission in communities as epidemic prevention and control enter a critical stage in Shanghai.
- 4,662 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 02 May 2022 -- A total of 4,662 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland on Sunday, the National Health Commission said in its Monday report.
- Beijing reports 55 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 02 May 2022 -- Beijing reported 51 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and four asymptomatic cases between 3 p.m. Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday, local authorities have said.
- Shanghai curbs risk of COVID-19 transmission in communities: official People's Daily 02 May 2022 -- Comprehensive research and judgment by experts have shown that the risk of transmission in communities has been effectively curbed in Shanghai, an official told a press conference on Sunday.
- Beijing requires 48-hr negative COVID-19 test result to enter public venues People's Daily 02 May 2022 -- Residents in Beijing will be required to have a negative COVID-19 test within 48 hours to enter public spaces from Saturday, the municipal government said Friday.
- Shanghai reports 727 confirmed, 6,606 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 02 May 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported 727 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 6,606 local asymptomatic infection cases on Sunday, the municipal health commission said Monday.
- China's Changchun clears COVID-19 risk areas People's Daily 02 May 2022 -- Changchun, the capital of northeast China's Jilin Province, has cleared all medium and high-risk areas for COVID-19, the municipal epidemic prevention and control headquarters announced Sunday.
- US howitzer sale to Taiwan 'halted,' but mainland should remain alert over 'advanced alternatives' Global Times 02 May 2022 -- The first deal approved by the Biden administration to sell $750 million worth of arms to Taiwan, including 40 155mm M109A6 medium self-propelled howitzers, has been halted by the US, Taiwan's defense authority said.
- NATO's New Strategic Concept to Address 'Pacing Challenge' Posed by China, Pentagon Says Sputnik 02 May 2022 -- A new NATO strategic concept will address the "pacing challenge" allegedly posed by China for the United States and for European countries, US Assistant Secretary of Defence for International Security Affairs Celeste Wallander said on Monday.
- US to ramp up engagement with Pacific amid tensions over China-Solomons deal Press TV 02 May 2022 -- In a bid to ramp up diplomatic engagement with Pacific Island countries, Washington is set to host leaders from the region later this year, a senior US government official has said.
- 'I Will Not Permit Any Change in Status Quo': New Indian Army Chief on Border Stand-off With China Sputnik 02 May 2022 -- The Indian and Chinese armies have been in a stand-off over eastern Ladakh since May 2020 after rival troops clashed in the area of Pangong lake near the contested border.
- Vietnam protests as China declares annual South China Sea fishing ban Radio Free Asia 02 May 2022 -- China has once again announced a unilateral fishing moratorium in the South China Sea, to vigorous protests by Vietnam but the Philippines has so far not reacted.
- China clamps down on dissident writer who criticized cult of personality around Xi Radio Free Asia 02 May 2022 -- Despite asking for public input ahead of a key party congress later this year, Chinese authorities appear to be stepping up its clampdown on public dissent amid a growing cult of personality around ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leader Xi Jinping.
- Communist youth league of China has over 73.7 million members People's Daily 02 May 2022 -- The Communist Youth League of China (CYLC) has over 73.7 million members nationwide as of December 31, 2021, according to statistics released by the CYLC Central Committee on Monday.
- China capable of securing safe, stable energy supply People's Daily 02 May 2022 -- Facing the pressure of increasing uncertainties in the global energy market caused by international geopolitical conflicts, China has pledged maximum efforts to safeguard its energy supply.
- Philippines vote: Marcos seen as pro-China; Robredo will likely test Beijing ties Radio Free Asia 02 May 2022 -- China would likely enjoy friendly ties with the Philippines if Ferdinand Marcos Jr. wins next week's presidential election, while his main challenger, Vice President Leni Robredo, has vowed to seek help in protecting Philippine waters in the South China Sea, American analysts said.
- Pakistan to make every effort to fight terrorism, says National Assembly speaker People's Daily 02 May 2022 -- Pakistan will make every effort to fight terrorism and bring the perpetrators of Tuesday's terrorist attack which killed three Chinese teachers to justice, Speaker of Pakistan's National Assembly Raja Pervaiz Ashraf said here on Sunday.
- Uyghurs warned against divulging 'state secrets' before UN right chief 's China visit Radio Free Asia 02 May 2022 -- Chinese officials in Xinjiang are warning Uyghurs not to divulge "state secrets" during a visit by United Nations human rights chief Michelle Bachelet this month, officials in the western region said.
- Myanmar's junta vows to defend China-backed copper mine after PDF threats Radio Free Asia 02 May 2022 -- Myanmar's junta has vowed to defend a suspended Chinese copper mine, seen as a key source of revenue for the military regime, after the country's armed opposition threatened to destroy the project if owners resume operations.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list