Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
01 May 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Shanghai achieves phased results in latest battle against Omicron with 6 districts basically registering no community transmissions Global Times 01 May 2022 -- The risk of COVID-19 community transmission in Shanghai has been effectively contained and six districts, including Fengxian, Jinshan and Chongming have basically realized no community transmissions, Shanghai local government said on Sunday, amid the easing of a citywide lockdown for more than 15 million residents.
- Normalizing nucleic acid testing in Chinese metropolises 'transitional means' with minimum cost to fully social opening, resumption: expert Global Times 01 May 2022 -- On the premise that the dynamic zero-COVID policy remains unchanged, large-scale lockdown can only be avoided through regular and normalized nucleic acid testing, meaning economic development and anti-epidemic work can be balanced; meanwhile, normalizing nucleic acid testing is a transitional means at minimum cost to the opening of the whole society and free movement of people in the future, Chinese experts said on Monday after several Chinese metropolises including Beijing issued new guidelines to normalize nucleic acid testing.
- Sales of takeout shot up as Beijing halts dine-in services at restaurants during May Day holidays Global Times 01 May 2022 -- Sales of takeout dishes saw a sharp increase as Beijing imposed a ban on in-house catering services from Sunday to Wednesday amid the latest COVID-19 flare-ups in the Chinese capital.
- Beijing's Xiaotangshan makeshift hospital put into use for COVID patients amid latest flare-up Global Times 01 May 2022 -- Beijing reopened the Xiaotangshan makeshift hospital on Sunday to treat COVID-19 asymptomatic patients and mild cases and the capital city will launch a further two rounds of mass nucleic acid testing in major districts from May 1 to 4 during the May Day holiday amid the latest Omicron flare-up, local authorities announced on Sunday.
- Why China stands firm on dynamic zero-COVID policy People's Daily 01 May 2022 -- In a country of some 1.4 billion people, any public health issue is of significant concern, and the coronavirus outbreak is no exception.
- HKSAR gov't continues to provide free COVID-19 testing service for elderly, targeted groups People's Daily 01 May 2022 -- The Food and Health Bureau of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government announced on Saturday that it continues to provide free COVID-19 nucleic acid testing service for eligible persons of high-risk or high-exposure targeted groups and all elderly people aged 60 or above.
- China's food giant enhances supply to Beijing amid COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 01 May 2022 -- China's leading food trader COFCO has enhanced its food supply to Beijing and ramped up production at nearby plants to ensure sufficient supplies and stable prices in the Chinese capital amid the latest resurgence of COVID-19 infections.
- Beijing ups restrictions to contain latest COVID-19 flare-ups People's Daily 01 May 2022 -- The Chinese capital city of Beijing intensified restrictive measures against COVID-19 on Saturday to best reduce cross-infection as high mobility is expected during the five-day Labor Day holiday starting from Saturday.
- Shanghai reports 788 confirmed, 7,084 asymptomatic local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 01 May 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported 788 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 7,084 local asymptomatic infection cases on Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 916 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 01 May 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Saturday reported 916 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 788 were in Shanghai, according to the National Health Commission's report Sunday.
- Serbia displays 'powerful, affordable' Chinese air defense missiles for the 1st time, 'not meant as a threat but rightful natl defense devt' Global Times 01 May 2022 -- Serbia displayed its latest addition to its arsenal, the Chinese-made FK-3 air defense missile system, to the general public for the first time on Saturday, after concentrated sorties of Y-20 large transport aircraft from the Chinese Air Force delivered the weapon to the European country in April.
- Pakistan to continue advancing ties with China after Karachi attack, says president People's Daily 01 May 2022 -- Pakistan will thwart any attempt to undermine its relations with China, Pakistani President Arif Alvi said here on Saturday, after a terrorist attack killed three Chinese nationals in Karachi earlier this week.
- Pelosi visits Kiev to 'maximize' US' support and prolong Russia-Ukraine conflict, inflate 'political legacy' Global Times 01 May 2022 -- US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi made an unannounced visit to Kiev on Sunday, the highest-ranking American official to visit Ukraine since the start of the Russia-Ukraine conflict, and Chinese analysts said it indicated that the Biden administration was maximizing US support to Ukraine while deceiving the domestic voters as much as it can that US won't get involved in the conflict.
- Ukraine War A New Test For Chinese Power Across Eurasia RFE/RL 01 May 2022 -- When Zhang Ming left his post as China's ambassador to the European Union and became secretary-general of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) on January 1, Central and South Asia looked a lot different.
- China enlists foreign vloggers to whitewash Uyghur situation in Xinjiang Radio Free Asia 01 May 2022 -- China has enlisted some fresh faces in its pushback against charges it is committing genocide against the Uyghurs in Xinjiang: young foreign social media influencers who produce short videos showing happy minorities in the far-western region.
- Xi stresses healthy development, positive role of capital in China People's Daily 01 May 2022 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, Friday called for efforts to regulate and guide the healthy development of capital in China per the law and give play to the positive role of capital as a significant production factor.
- Chinese Regulators, Banks Reportedly Brainstorm Ways to Save Assets Threatened by US Sputnik 01 May 2022 -- The move comes in the wake of the freezing of more than $300 billion in Russian Central Bank assets trapped in banks abroad by the United States and its allies, and threats to seize this wealth, or "redirect" it to other countries.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list