Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
26 April 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing Begins Mass COVID-19 Testing Drive VOA 26 Apr 2022 -- Beijing has begun mass COVID-19 testing most of its 21 million residents amid fears the Chinese capital will be placed under a strict lockdown similar to the one imposed on Shanghai.
- Beijing wages critical war against Omicron with largest nucleic acid testing, strictest community management Global Times 26 Apr 2022 -- Learning the lessons from Shanghai's response to the Omicron resurgence, Beijing is waging a critical and decisive war against the Omicron variant with the strictest measures on community management, largest-ever nucleic acid testing, suspending gathering activities, tracking down transmission routes, and urgently mobilizing the public to ensure the safety of local residents and the country's political center, as the COVID-19 tally in the capital city rose to 92in five days.
- Shanghai sees sharpest case drop since Omicron epidemic, yet far from time to let guard down: officials Global Times 26 Apr 2022 -- Positive signs flicker in Shanghai with the sharpest case drop recorded since the latest outbreak, and only a small proportion of cases found outside the quarantined areas. Yet municipal officials, believing it is far from time to let their guard down, kicked off another round of mass testing and doubled down on restrictions on leaving Shanghai, to prevent the infection from spilling over.
- Beijing reports 32 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Apr 2022 -- Beijing reported 32 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and one local asymptomatic carrier on Monday, local authorities said Tuesday.
- Shanghai sees largest drop of new infections with total tally of cases surpassing half a million Global Times 26 Apr 2022 -- The Omicron-stemmed flare-up in Shanghai saw the largest drop in the growth of new infections on Monday, with more than 90 percent of new cases discovered in closed-loop management or during centralized quarantine, despite the epidemic still lingering at a high level and the total tally amounting to surpass 500,000.
- Omicron-specific inactivated candidates approved for clinical trials in China Global Times 26 Apr 2022 -- Two Chinese vaccine manufacturers have been approved to send their Omicron-specific vaccine candidates into clinical trials on the Chinese mainland, while cities like Shanghai and Beijing are combating the Omicron variant.
- 2,323 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 26 Apr 2022 -- A total of 2,323 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland on Monday, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 1,908 new local COVID-19 cases, 1,661 in Shanghai People's Daily 26 Apr 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 1,908 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 1,661 were in Shanghai, according to the National Health Commission's report Tuesday.
- China's smaller cities also under lockdown as COVID-19 prevention drive hits Beijing Radio Free Asia 26 Apr 2022 -- As a grueling lockdown in Shanghai continues to make world headlines, as many as 30 million people have been under similar measures for weeks under the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP)'s zero-COVID policy elsewhere in China.
- Beijing's zero-COVID policy snags Lao exports to China via new railway Radio Free Asia 26 Apr 2022 -- Costly and time-consuming customs-clearing procedures put in place as part of China's zero-COVID-19 restrictions are making it difficult for Lao traders to export products via the new Laos-China Railway, Lao officials and people involved in cross-border trade said.
- Several public venues in Beijing closed amid COVID-19 surge Global Times 26 Apr 2022 -- Several public venues, including the National Center for the Performance Arts (NCPA) in Beijing closed after the capital saw a COVID-19 flare-up in recent days.
- Beijing to expand nucleic acid testing to more areas People's Daily 26 Apr 2022 -- Beijing will conduct three rounds of nucleic acid testing in 11 areas from Tuesday to Saturday in efforts to curb the risk of COVID-19, local authorities said at a press conference Monday.
- Tibetan exile leader arrives in Washington for talks Radio Free Asia 26 Apr 2022 -- Tibetan exile leader Penpa Tsering has met with senior State Department official Uzra Zeya for discussions on the status of the Himalayan region in the first of a series of talks this week with U.S. Congressional and government representatives.
- Central Asia should be vigilant about major powers disrupting and undermining regional security: Chinese Defense Minister Global Times 26 Apr 2022 -- China firmly opposes external forces deliberately instigating a "color revolution" in Kazakhstan, and calls for vigilance about certain major powers interfering in Central Asia to disrupt and undermine regional security, said Chinese State Councilor and Minister of National Defense Wei Fenghe during his visit to Nur-Sultan in meeting with Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on Monday.
- China's armed forces always a force of justice safeguarding world peace People's Daily 26 Apr 2022 -- Recently, 15 members of the 12th Chinese peacekeeping engineering contingent to South Sudan received the Sector Commander's Commendation conferred by the Sector West Commander of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) Brigadier General Measho Hagos Seyum for their outstanding achievements and great contributions in recent peacekeeping work.
- Kazakh president, Chinese defense minister agree to strengthen military cooperation PLA Daily 26 Apr 2022 -- Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev and visiting Chinese State Councilor and Minister of National Defense Wei Fenghe voiced common readiness on Monday to step up bilateral cooperation.
- US to Launch Strategic Dialogue with Solomon Islands to Counter Chinese Outreach VOA 26 Apr 2022 -- The United States will launch a high-level strategic dialogue with Solomon Islands in September to address mutual security concerns and enhance cooperation in public health, finance and other issues.
- US won't rule out military action if China builds military base in Solomon Islands Press TV 26 Apr 2022 -- A senior US government official has refused to rule out military action against the Solomon Islands if it were to allow China to establish a military base in the South Pacific country.
- US vows to respond to any Chinese military base in Solomons Radio Free Asia 26 Apr 2022 -- The United States voiced concerns Tuesday over a "complete lack of transparency" surrounding a new security deal between the Solomon Islands and China and vowed to respond to any attempt to establish a Chinese military base in the island nation.
- Solomon Islands Pact Clears Lane for China to Sail Into South Pacific VOA 26 Apr 2022 -- A security pact signed this month with the Solomon Islands will clear a lane for the Chinese military to access the South Pacific despite opposition from the West, experts say.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on April 26, 2022 PRC MofA 26 Apr 2022
- Suspected Suicide Bombing In Pakistan Kills Three Chinese Teachers And Their Pakistani Driver RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Apr 2022 -- Three Chinese citizens and their Pakistani driver were killed April 26 in a blast carried out by an apparent suicide bomber on a van belonging to a Chinese language and cultural center that is part of the University of Karachi, officials said.
- Blood of Chinese people cannot be shed in vain: FM condemns terrorist attack that killed 3 Chinese in Pakistan Global Times 26 Apr 2022 -- Three Chinese nationals and a local man were killed after what appeared to be a targeted suicide bombing in Karachi, Pakistan outside the University of Karachi's Confucius Institute on Tuesday afternoon local time.
- Chinese nationals among four killed in bomb attack in Pakistan's Karachi Press TV 26 Apr 2022 -- A powerful explosion has targeted a vehicle at a major university campus in the southern port city of Karachi, killing at least four people, including three Chinese nationals.
- Female Bomber in Pakistan Kills 3 Chinese Nationals, Local Driver VOA 26 Apr 2022 -- Police in Pakistan said Tuesday three Chinese nationals and their local driver were killed in a suicide bombing of a van in the southern city of Karachi.
- China's Pacific Deal Pushes National Security to Heart of Australian Election Campaign VOA 26 Apr 2022 -- China's new security accord with Solomon Islands, a Pacific archipelago northeast of Australia, has caused alarm in Canberra.
- Chinese premier stresses need to further anti-corruption fight, build clean government People's Daily 26 Apr 2022 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang on Monday called for further efforts to combat corruption and build a clean and honest government.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list