Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 April 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Two Shanghai districts eliminate community infections Global Times 20 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai is seeing a glimmer of hope after battling the Omicron variant for almost a month and a half, with two districts announcing they have stamped out infections within communities, and the number found outside quarantine areas has fallen for consecutive days.
- Shanghai reports 52 COVID-19 patients in critical conditions; death tally reaches 17 Global Times 20 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai authorities urged to prioritize the treatment of severe and critically ill COVID-19 patients to reduce the number of severe cases and mortality rate, as the city on Wednesday reported seven more COVID-19 patient deaths, adding to a total number of 17 amid this around of Omicron outbreak.
- China vows to adhere to dynamic zero-COVID approach as cases spike People's Daily 20 Apr 2022 -- China will adhere to its dynamic zero-COVID approach as local infections are surging, a spokesperson for the National Health Commission (NHC) said Tuesday.
- Shanghai new COVID-19 cases: 2,494 confirmed, 16,407 asymptomatic People's Daily 20 Apr 2022 -- China's Shanghai reported 2,494 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 16,407 local asymptomatic carriers on Tuesday, the municipal health commission said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2,753 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases, 2,494 in Shanghai People's Daily 20 Apr 2022 -- The Chinese mainland Tuesday reported 2,753 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 2,494 were in Shanghai, according to the National Health Commission (NHC)'s report Wednesday.
- 2,365 COVID patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 20 Apr 2022 -- A total of 2,365 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland on Tuesday, the National Health Commission said in its Wednesday report.
- Chinese police order residents to hand over passports 'until after the pandemic' Radio Free Asia 20 Apr 2022 -- Police in the central Chinese province of Hunan have ordered local residents to hand over their passports to police, promising to return them "when the pandemic is over," amid a massive surge in people looking for ways to leave China or obtain overseas immigration status.
- Shanghai Slowly Turning the Corner from Strict COVID-19 Lockdown VOA 20 Apr 2022 -- Authorities in the Chinese financial hub, Shanghai, released another 4 million people from its strict COVID-19 lockdown rules as part of the city's efforts to restore its economic activity.
- China's Xi'an to lift restrictive measures against COVID-19 People's Daily 20 Apr 2022 -- The northwestern Chinese city of Xi'an will lift temporary restrictive measures against the COVID-19 epidemic from Wednesday, local authorities said Tuesday.
- Explainer: FAQs on China's dynamic zero-COVID policy People's Daily 20 Apr 2022 -- What is the goal of China's dynamic zero-COVID policy? What are the country's considerations behind the policy? On Monday, Wu Zunyou, chief epidemiologist with the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, broke down some of the most popular misperceptions about the policy in an article.
- 1st phase construction of mainland-aided COVID-19 isolation facility completed in Hong Kong People's Daily 20 Apr 2022 -- The first phase construction of the Penny's Bay Community Isolation Facility (CIF), with mainland support, was completed, and the units were handed over to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government on Tuesday.
- China's Tianzhou-3 cargo spacecraft completes fly-around and automatic docking with Tianhe core module Global Times 20 Apr 2022 -- Tianzhou-3 cargo spacecraft detached from China's Tianhe space station core module from the rear port at 5:02 am on Wednesday and flew around and successfully conducted automatic rendezvous and docking with the orbiting Tianhe at the front port, which took around 4 hours, the Global Times learned from the China Manned Space Agency (CMSA).
- In-orbit construction of China's space station to be completed in 2022 People's Daily 20 Apr 2022 -- The in-orbit construction of China's space station is expected to be completed this year, during which the country plans to carry out six launch missions, according to a press conference on the latest developments in China's space station construction held on April 17.
- China calls for early end to conflict to fundamentally resolve Ukrainian humanitarian crisis Global Times 20 Apr 2022 -- China called on Russia and Ukraine to engage in dialogue and negotiation towards a ceasefire, since an early end to the conflict is the only way to resolve the existing humanitarian crisis, China's Permanent Representative to the United Nations Zhang Jun said on Tuesday at the UN Security Council.
- Supplying offensive weapons to Ukraine to worsen conflict: China UN envoy Press TV 20 Apr 2022 -- China has called on Western countries to refrain from sending offensive weapons to Ukraine, warning that such deliveries will only escalate the ongoing conflict and worsen the humanitarian crisis in the country.
- Two new Type 055 large destroyers, a new Type 052D destroyer confirmed in PLA Navy service Global Times 20 Apr 2022 -- Two Type 055 large destroyers, the Nanchang and the Lhasa, are moored at a naval port in 2021. File photo: Courtesy of the Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy
- China, Solomon Islands confirm they have signed security pact Radio Free Asia 20 Apr 2022 -- China and the Solomon Islands have both confirmed they signed a controversial security pact that has sparked concerns about China's rising influence in the Pacific region.
- Solomon Islands Sign Security Pact With China VOA 20 Apr 2022 -- The prime minister of the Solomon Islands, Manasseh Sogavare, has told parliament that a wide-ranging security pact it has signed with China will not undermine peace and stability in the region. However, the United States, Japan, New Zealand and Australia have expressed concern.
- Taiwan expresses concern over China-Solomon Islands security pact CNA 20 Apr 2022 -- Taiwan joined the United States on Wednesday in expressing "deep concerns" over a security pact sealed a day earlier between China and a former Taiwan diplomatic ally, the Solomon Islands, a move that many fear could open the door to a Chinese naval base in the South Pacific.
- China stresses transparency of security pact with Solomon Islands, questions US' motive in South Pacific Global Times 20 Apr 2022 -- China and the Solomon Islands will act according to customary international practice on the basis of consultation, Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday, after both China and the Solomon Islands have announced the signing of a bilateral security deal.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III Call with the People's Republic of China Minister of National Defense General Wei Fenghe DoD 20 Apr 2022
- US Defense Secretary Austin Holds Call With Chinese Counterpart VOA 20 Apr 2022 -- The Pentagon says U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin had a phone conversation with his Chinese counterpart Wednesday, the first such contact between the two defense chiefs since President Joe Biden took office.
- Defense minister stresses China's resolve, warns against US provocations in 'late' first phone talk with Austin Global Times 20 Apr 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister Wei Fenghe had a phone call with US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin on Wednesday at the latter's request, with Wei stressing the importance of the Taiwan question, while demanding the US to stop its military provocations at sea, and not to throw mud or threaten China with the Ukraine issue.
- Chinese defense minister holds phone talk with US counterpart PLA Daily 20 Apr 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe held a telephone conversation with the US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin on Wednesday.
- Chinese defense minister holds video talks with Mozambican counterpart PLA Daily 20 Apr 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Minister of National Defense General Wei Fenghe held video talks with Mozambican Defense Minister Crist√≥v√£o Artur Chume on April 19, 2022.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on April 20, 2022 PRC MofA 20 Apr 2022
- China Urges US to Clarify Situation With CIA's Beehive Spyware Sputnik 20 Apr 2022 -- China called on the United States to clarify the situation regarding its Beehive malware attack and control systems developed and infiltrated by the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in many countries around the world, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said on Wednesday.
- South Africa Floods Could Hurt China Trade VOA 20 Apr 2022 -- Some of the worst flooding in South Africa's history has left more than 400 people dead and some 40,000 displaced, dealing a devastating blow to the eastern city of Durban, which has a seaport that has also been badly affected.
- YouTube Blocks Account of Hong Kong's Sole Leadership Candidate VOA 20 Apr 2022 -- Google-owned YouTube blocked the campaign account of Hong Kong's only leadership candidate, John Lee, on Wednesday, citing U.S. sanctions against the former No. 2 official.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list