Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
14 April 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Shanghai's daily cases may peak this week; total infections may reach 700,000 in outbreak: experts Global Times 14 Apr 2022 -- The number of Shanghai's daily new COVID-19 cases may peak this week and the fresh wave may finish as early as the end of next month, experts said, although China's financial hub reported a record high number of daily new infections on Thursday, bringing the total infections in Shanghai to more than 250,000 since March.
- Surges in COVID-19 infections in Shanghai stem from delayed release of screening data, family infections and logistics transmission Global Times 14 Apr 2022 -- Despite the fact that local residents in Shanghai have been locked down at home for over two weeks, some even as long as over one month, the daily increases in confirmed and asymptomatic COVID-19 infections remain high. The local disease control authority attributed the situation to the delay of the release of screening data, family infections and transmission via logistics.
- All cities, prefectures in NE China's Jilin achieve goal of COVID clearance in communities Global Times 14 Apr 2022 -- Northeast China's Jilin Province has achieved the goal of COVID clearance in its communities, according to a press conference on Thursday. Changchun, capital of Jilin Province, has cleared all its COVID-19 cases in its communities after 45 days of a hard battle against the Omicron outbreak. This means all the cities and prefectures in the province have achieved the goal of zero new cases in communities.
- China's CDC issues instructions for home quarantine, requires independent toilet Global Times 14 Apr 2022 -- The Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention issued specific instructions for home quarantine receivers on late Wednesday, which require independent toilet.
- Over 300 COVID-19 patients discharged from Shanghai's largest makeshift hospital People's Daily 14 Apr 2022 -- A total of 322 COVID-19 patients were released from medical observation and left the National Exhibition and Convention Center (NECC), Shanghai's largest makeshift hospital, on Thursday morning, local authorities said.
- Northeast China's Changchun City halts community transmission of COVID-19 People's Daily 14 Apr 2022 -- Changchun, capital of northeast China's Jilin Province, has cut off all COVID-19 transmission chains out of its quarantine areas, according to a press conference held on Thursday.
- Inflatable COVID-19 testing lab improves Shanghai's screening capacity People's Daily 14 Apr 2022 -- An inflatable laboratory for COVID-19 nucleic acid testing that was recently put into operation in Shanghai's Xuhui District has helped improve the city's testing efficiency, local authorities said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2,999 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 Apr 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 2,999 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and 26,391 new asymptomatic carriers, according to the National Health Commission's report Thursday.
- 2,024 COVID patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 14 Apr 2022 -- A total of 2,024 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland on Wednesday, the National Health Commission said in its Thursday report.
- Emigration inquiries spike in China amid grueling COVID-19 lockdowns, restrictions Radio Free Asia 14 Apr 2022 -- As a citywide lockdown continued in Shanghai and around 100 cities imposed more limited COVID-19 curbs, immigration consultancies said they are receiving a record number of inquiries from people hoping to get out of China for good.
- Hong Kong changes law, forcing owners to give up pets 'believed' to have COVID-19 Radio Free Asia 14 Apr 2022 -- Authorities in Hong Kong have changed the law to force people to hand over pets and other animals believed infected with COVID-19 for 'humane dispatch,' as police have been tasked with investigating activists who tried to save hamsters from a cull in January, the city's top health official has said.
- Hubei doctors battle Omicron in Shanghai; unified discharging standards established at makeshift hospitals Global Times 14 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai has established unified discharging standards for COVID-19 patients and their average hospitalization period has been shortened to about one week at makeshift hospitals, Shanghai local authorities said on Wednesday.
- Shanghai reports 2,573 new local confirmed COVID-19 cases, 25,146 asymptomatic carriers People's Daily 14 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai reported 2,573 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and 25,146 local asymptomatic carriers on Wednesday, the municipal health commission said Thursday.
- HKSAR chief executive says 3-day rapid antigen test exercise meets expectations People's Daily 14 Apr 2022 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam on Wednesday said the three-day mass rapid antigen test (RAT) exercise had achieved its intended goals of better understanding the overall COVID-19 situation in Hong Kong.
- 80 percent elderly in Beijing vaccinated against COVID-19 People's Daily 14 Apr 2022 -- Nearly 3.44 million over-60s in Beijing, or 80 percent of the city's elderly population, have been vaccinated against COVID-19 as of 4 p.m. Wednesday, local authorities said.
- China opposes foreign companies forcing Chinese partners to choose sides amid Russia-Ukraine conflict: ministry Global Times 14 Apr 2022 -- Certain foreign companies have violated market norms, coercing their Chinese partners to choose sides in the Russia-Ukraine conflict, a spokesperson with Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) said on Thursday, adding that China is firmly opposed to such unlawful acts.
- Beijing Strongly Opposes Visit of US Congressmen to Taiwan, Calls to Stick to 'One China' Policy Sputnik 14 Apr 2022 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Thursday that Beijing firmly opposes any official contact between the United States and Taiwan after the arrival of a US delegation on the island earlier in the day.
- Mainland denounces DPP's denial of cross-Strait cultural ties People's Daily 14 Apr 2022 -- A Chinese mainland spokesperson on Wednesday criticized Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authority for its denial of the profound cultural connections across the Taiwan Strait.
- Xi orders building world-leading spacecraft launch site PLA Daily 14 Apr 2022 -- President Xi Jinping demanded efforts to elevate a spacecraft launch site in southern China's island province of Hainan into world-leading standards when he inspected the site on Tuesday.
- China's BDS accuracy comparable to GPS, even better in Asia-Pacific region: authorities Global Times 14 Apr 2022 -- Some 15 years after the first BeiDou-2 navigation satellite was launched, China is providing the world with an all-round, multifunctional satellite navigation system, with a worldwide positioning accuracy equal to the US' GPS, and even better performances in the Asia-Pacific region, authorities said at the 13th China Satellite Navigation Conference on Thursday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on April 14, 2022 PRC MofA 14 Apr 2022
- US Counters Chinese Outreach to Solomon Islands VOA 14 Apr 2022 -- The United States is increasing its diplomatic outreach and COVID-19 vaccine assistance to the Solomon Islands amid concerns over a security deal between the Pacific island nation and China.
- Yellen's threats against China prompt calls for precautions to protect Chinese interests Global Times 14 Apr 2022 -- After US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen issued threats against China over the Russia-Ukraine conflict, Chinese experts on Thursday cautioned about the rising risk of potential US actions against Chinese businesses and called for precautions, including possible counter-measures, to safeguard China's legitimate rights and interests.
- U.S. human rights report reveals hypocrisy, double standards: FM spokesperson People's Daily 14 Apr 2022 -- China on Wednesday said it deplores and firmly opposes the China-related content in the 2021 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices and relevant remarks by U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, which have revealed hypocrisy and double standards of the U.S.
- Japan PM set to visit SE Asia in late April Radio Free Asia 14 Apr 2022 -- Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida is planning a visit to Southeast Asia later this month to counter China's growing assertiveness in the region, according to news reports and a government official.
- US should introspect and reform itself, stop interfering in HK affairs under guise of 'human rights': official Global Times 14 Apr 2022 -- Spokesperson of the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region expressed strong dissatisfaction and firm opposition to the US' so-called 2021 Human Rights Reports, which again pointed fingers at Hong Kong affairs, smeared the National Security Law for Hong Kong and the new electoral system, slandered the SAR governance and blatantly interfered in China's internal affairs.
- Financial stability guarantee fund offers double protection against systemic risks: central bank official Global Times 14 Apr 2022 -- China's financial risks are diminishing and controllable, a central bank official said on Thursday, noting that the newly introduced financial stability guarantee fund will work in a coordinated manner with existing safeguards such as the deposit insurance fund and will be used at the discretion of the central government.
- Shanghai's Lingang New Area loosens curbs on property sale Global Times 14 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai's Lingang New Area loosened its housing sale policy for talent, shortening the required work time for residents applying for talent verification to three-six months and becoming the latest Chinese city to relax restrictions for property sales in April.
- Online gambling, cryptocurrencies deployed in money laundering: says Ministry of Public Security Global Times 14 Apr 2022 -- An official from China's Ministry of Public Security (MPS) said that a large number of money laundering cases are correlated with online gambling platforms and cryptocurrencies, which was the subject of a special campaign targeting telecommunication and cyber fraud launched by the ministry.
- China to expand rare-earth permanent magnet material application: MIIT Global Times 14 Apr 2022 -- China will further promote the expansion of rare-earth permanent magnet material application, in a bid to enhance the development of rare-earth permanent magnet materials and the high-end application industry, China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology said on Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list