Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
06 April 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Shanghai Allows Parents to Accompany Special Needs Children into COVID-19 Isolation Centers VOA 06 Apr 2022 -- Authorities in the eastern Chinese city of Shanghai have eased a controversial aspect of its COVID-19 isolation policy as the financial hub continues to struggle with a raging outbreak of the disease.
- China will unwaveringly adhere to dynamic zero-case policy Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- China will unwaveringly adhere to the dynamic-zero case strategy, officials from the National Health Commission (NHC) stressed on Wednesday, as the Chinese mainland reported 20,000 daily new cases, the highest number since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Total number of COVID-19 positive cases in NE China's Jilin likely to reach 120,000 by late May: expert Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- The COVID-19 epidemic situation in Northeast China's Jilin Province, which has reported more than 60,000 positive cases in the fresh wave, is still worsening despite some positive signs of decline in parts of its capital Changchun and nearby city Jilin.
- Vaccination still best way to reduce health risks from COVID-19: chief immunologist Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- The best way to reduce the risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19 is still to get vaccinated, said a chief immunologist at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), at a press conference on Wednesday. Officials from the National Health Commission (NHC) said they are continuing to guide local authorities to actively and steadily promote the vaccination program.
- Shanghai builds more makeshift hospitals to receive COVID-19 mild and asymptomatic carriers Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai has been making efforts to convert more venues into makeshift hospitals amid the rising COVID-19 cases during this wave of Omicron outbreak, as the city continued to register a record daily tally of new COVID-19 infections - over 17,000 positive cases.
- Shanghai grappling with record 17,000 new infections, to conduct new round of mass testing Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai continued to register a record daily tally of new COVID-19 infections - over 17,000 positive cases - on Tuesday, the local authority announced on Wednesday. Officials say the epidemic situation remains grim and complicated.
- Shanghai conducts new round of citywide COVID-19 screening People's Daily 06 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai on Wednesday launched another round of citywide antigen and nucleic acid testing amid efforts to contain the recent resurgence of COVID-19 cases in the metropolis, according to local authorities.
- Chinese mainland reports 1,383 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 Apr 2022 -- The Chinese mainland reported 1,383 new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Shanghai transports tens of thousands of COVID-19 cases, close contacts out of town Radio Free Asia 06 Apr 2022 -- The mass, out-of-town relocation of thousands of people from Shanghai who have tested positive for COVID-19 is sparking a social media backlash from neighboring regions in China, according to local residents and social media posts.
- Shanghai explores more venues for makeshift hospitals, isolation Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai saw the largest-ever daily increase of infections after testing all its 25 million residents on Monday, with 268 confirmed cases and 13,086 asymptomatic infections, bringing the accumulated number of COVID-19 infections in Shanghai to 73,000 since March.
- Shenzhen asks residents to provide negative COVID-19 results taken within 72hrs when entering public places, transportation Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- Shenzhen in South China's Guangdong Province, home to over 12 million people, restored its normal life and work after the recent outbreak of COVID-19, it announced in a notice on Tuesday, saying that public entertainment venues will reopen with capacity restrictions of 50 percent.
- Another makeshift hospital under construction in Shanghai People's Daily 06 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai is converting the National Exhibition and Convention Center (NECC) into a makeshift hospital with a planned capacity of 40,000 beds.
- Beijing cleared of at-risk areas for COVID-19 People's Daily 06 Apr 2022 -- Beijing has been cleared of high and medium-risk areas for COVID-19, the municipal government said on Tuesday.
- AUKUS plans hypersonic weapons to confront China as US speeds up NATO, Asian allies' coordination Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- As the US, the UK and Australia announced they would cooperate to develop hypersonic weapons under the framework of the new AUKUS alliance and the NATO leaders are set - for the first time ever - to discuss China's influence and "coercive policies" in its next strategic concept, analysts said that the US is making use of the Ukraine crisis to speed up the coordination of NATO and the "Asian version of NATO" to serve its purpose of containing China and keep its global hegemony, which will bring greater harm to both regional and global peace, and risk a regional arms race.
- 'Undermines Peace and Stability': China Condemns Move by AUKUS to Jointly Develop Hypersonic Weapons Sputnik 06 Apr 2022 -- In a joint statement on 5 April, the US, UK, and Australia announced that the three nations, which had previously signed the so-called AUKUS security pact, will be developing hypersonic weapons together. The announcement follows the first successful test of a US hypersonic glider after a series of reported failures.
- China slams US-UK-Aussie pact to develop hypersonic weapons Press TV 06 Apr 2022 -- China has censured newly-announced joint efforts by the US, Britain, and Australia to develop hypersonic weapons and electronic warfare capabilities.
- China urges restraint, probe of Bucha incident in Ukraine Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- China has been greatly concerned about the humanitarian situation in Ukraine, especially harm on civilians, said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Wednesday, noting the reports and images about the deaths of civilians in Bucha are deeply disturbing and that the truth of the incident must be thoroughly investigated.
- Biden admin's 3rd arms deal to Taiwan won't boost DPP's security, only benefits arms dealers: expert Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- The Biden administration approved its second arms sale to the Taiwan authority in two months, an estimated $95-million package including equipment and services to maintain the missile defense system the US exported to the island.
- China urges U.S. to cancel proposed arms sales to Taiwan PLA Daily 06 Apr 2022 -- China said Wednesday it is firmly opposed to and strongly condemns the proposed U.S. arms sales to Taiwan worth 95 million U.S. dollars, urging the U.S. to withdraw its plan.
- Beijing Pledges 'Firm, Forceful Measures' Against $95 Million US Sale of Patriot Missiles to Taiwan Sputnik 06 Apr 2022 -- Since Russia began its special operation in Ukraine on February 24, American leaders have called for buttressing Taiwan's defenses, claiming China could soon launch an invasion of the autonomous island. However, Beijing has said the two situations are not at all similar, as Taiwan is a part of China.
- China: No plans to build military base in Solomon Islands Radio Free Asia 06 Apr 2022 -- China is denying that it will build a military base in the Solomon Islands after agreeing with the South Pacific nation to a security pact that is raising concerns in the region and beyond.
- Renewed US hype of 'China's nuclear expansion' filled with hegemonic intentions Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- A top US admiral again hyped China's "expansion of strategic and nuclear arsenal" on Tuesday, making irresponsible and speculative remarks on the country's hypersonic weapons tests and construction of missile silos. Chinese experts said that the hype is nothing new and that the US is aiming to maintain its global military hegemony and making excuses for its record-breaking defense budget.
- Tibetan exile leader set to visit Washington in April Radio Free Asia 06 Apr 2022 -- Tibetan exile leader Penpa Tsering will visit Washington D.C. from April 25 to 29 at the invitation of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Tsering confirmed to RFA in an interview on Tuesday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on April 6, 2022 PRC MofA 06 Apr 2022
- Hong Kong Documentary Prompts Taiwanese to Eye Immigration Policy VOA 06 Apr 2022 -- As Hong Kongers trickle into Taiwan seeking asylum, a documentary about the Hong Kong protests of 2019-20 is prompting Taiwanese moviegoers and civic groups to question current immigration laws.
- 6 people including former leader of CTU arrested by HK national security department Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- Former vice-chairman of the disbanded Confederation of Trade Unions (CTU) Leo Tang kin-wah was arrested by the national security police in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Wednesday for doing "acts of nuisance" in court, Hong Kong media reported.
- Hong Kong police arrest six for 'sedition' over courtroom protests, support Radio Free Asia 06 Apr 2022 -- Hong Kong police on Wednesday arrested six people including a former labor leader on suspicion of "sedition" under a colonial-era law, as the city's security chief â€” who is widely seen as Beijing's preferred candidate â€” resigned to run for chief executive.
- HKSAR's LegCo has returned to rationality: LegCo president People's Daily 06 Apr 2022 -- Andrew Leung, president of the Legislative Council (LegCo) of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), said on Tuesday that the LegCo has returned to rationality after the improvement of Hong Kong's electoral system.
- China unveils draft financial stability law in major push to prevent systemic risks Global Times 06 Apr 2022 -- China's central bank on Wednesday night unveiled a draft financial stability legislation, including the creation of a financial stability guarantee fund, laying the legal groundwork for a holistic, sector-spanning and cross-departmental approach to preventing systemic financial risks.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list