Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
01 April 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China upholds dynamic-zero COVID strategy following 100,000+ domestically transmitted cases in a month Global Times 01 Apr 2022 -- The Chinese mainland discovered 103,965 local COVID-19 infections in March in 29 provincial-level regions, national health officials revealed on Friday at a press conference, while stressing that China will firmly uphold the dynamic-zero COVID-19 strategy facing the current complex and severe situation, and the country is still able to achieve that goal.
- COVID-hit Shanghai to screen 16 mln people in second phase of closed-off management People's Daily 01 Apr 2022 -- Shanghai will launch a nucleic acid testing campaign in areas west of the Huangpu River starting Friday amid the second phase of the city's closed-off management, an official told a press conference on Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 1,787 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 01 Apr 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported 1,787 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said on Friday.
- Over 88 pct Chinese fully vaccinated against COVID-19: official People's Daily 01 Apr 2022 -- China has fully vaccinated 88.11 percent of its population against COVID-19 as of Thursday, a Chinese health official said Friday.
- Shanghai starts 2nd phase of closed-off management against COVID-19 People's Daily 01 Apr 2022 -- The second phase of closed-off management in Shanghai has come into force in areas west of the Huangpu River on Friday amid a recent spike in COVID-19 infections, according to local authorities.
- NATO should have been dissolved after Soviet collapse: China Press TV 01 Apr 2022 -- China has criticized the eastward expansion of NATO, saying that the US-led military alliance should have been dissolved after the collapse of the Soviet Union more than three decades ago.
- China-Solomon Islands security pact has no military connotation: Chinese FM Global Times 01 Apr 2022 -- The security cooperation between China and the Solomon Islands is aimed at safeguarding the safety of people's lives and property and has no military connotation, Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Friday, noting media speculation on China's military base is groundless and has ulterior motives.
- With an eye on China, Japan plans 2 + 2 talks with Philippines, India Radio Free Asia 01 Apr 2022 -- Japan plans to hold so-called "two-plus-two" meetings with the Philippines and India to discuss maritime security including in the South China Sea, a move analysts say could send a message to Beijing about Tokyo's determination to foster ties with like-minded partners.
- Hong Kong acts on China's behalf to squeeze Taiwan in WTO: U.S. report CNA 01 Apr 2022 -- The Hong Kong government has been working with China to block Taiwan's meaningful participation in the World Trade Organization (WTO), the U.S. Department of State said in a report published Thursday.
- Former GE Power Engineer Convicted of Conspiracy to Commit Economic Espionage US Dept. of Justice 01 Apr 2022 -- Yesterday, a federal jury convicted a New York man of conspiracy to commit economic espionage following a four-week jury trial. According to court documents and evidence presented at trial, Xiaoqing Zheng, 59, of Niskayuna, was employed at GE Power & Water in Schenectady, New York, as an engineer specializing in sealing technology.
- How Russia's disinformation on Ukraine is spreading to democratic Taiwan, via China Radio Free Asia 01 Apr 2022 -- Russian and Chinese disinformation about Ukraine, which is ideologically linked to ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) propaganda on Taiwan, is breaking through into online discourse on the democratic island, a fact-checking organization based there has said.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on April 1, 2022 PRC MofA 01 Apr 2022
- China to take reciprocal visa restrictions on relevant U.S. officials People's Daily 01 Apr 2022 -- China has decided to adopt reciprocal visa restrictions on the U.S. officials who concocted lies about China's human rights issues, pushed for sanctions against China and undermined China's interests, a Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said Thursday.
- Europe Warns China over Ukraine War VOA 01 Apr 2022 -- The first European Union-China summit in nearly two years took place Friday by video link and lasted just two hours.
- Xi Jinping: China and the EU Should Add Stabilizing Factors to a Turbulent World PRC MofA 01 Apr 2022 -- President Xi Jinping is meetingâ€‚via video link with President Charles Michel of the European Council and President Ursula von der Leyen of the European Commission in Beijing on the evening of 1 April.â€‚
- President Xi Jinping Meets with European Council President Charles Michel and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen PRC MofA 01 Apr 2022 -- President Xi Jinping metâ€‚via video link with President Charles Michel of the European Council and President Ursula von der Leyen of the European Commission in Beijing on the evening of 1 April.â€‚
- Ukraine Tops EU-China Virtual Summit Agenda RFE/RL 01 Apr 2022 -- The European Union is expected to seek assurances from Beijing that it won't assist Russia in bypassing economic sanctions imposed over its unprovoked invasion of Ukraine at a virtual summit between the 27-member bloc and China on April 1.
- Xi Tells EU to Treat China 'Independently' as West Pressures Beijing to Denounce Ukraine Operation Sputnik 01 Apr 2022 -- The US has threatened to sanction China repeatedly since Russia launched a special operation in Ukraine on February 24 and the West moved to sever Moscow from the global economy. However, Beijing says its trade with Russia is strictly legal and in accordance with international trade laws.
- Regional meeting on Afghanistan stresses 8 consensuses, pledges aid Global Times 01 Apr 2022 -- China-hosted talks between foreign ministers of Afghanistan's neighboring countries and the Afghan Taliban concluded on Thursday in East China's Tunxi, Anhui Province, foregrounding China's role as a constructive leading force in addressing the Afghan issue. Some analysts said the mechanism has given regional countries confidence in the Afghan Taliban and more expectations to the international community.
- Diplomatic recognition of Afghan govt to come naturally with stronger response to the concerns of all parties: Chinese FM Wang Yi Global Times 01 Apr 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Thursday that with a stronger response to the concerns of all parties, "diplomatic recognition of the Afghan government will be an act of following the natural course," following the conclusion of the Third Foreign Ministers' Meeting on the Afghan Issue among the Neighboring Countries of Afghanistan in Tunxi in East China's Anhui Province.
- Philippine President Duterte plans to meet with Chinese 'friend' Xi on April 8 Radio Free Asia 01 Apr 2022 -- Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte said he would meet next week virtually with his "friend," Chinese leader Xi Jinping, as Filipino and U.S. forces conduct one of their largest joint exercises in years in the Southeast Asian nation bordering the disputed South China Sea.
- Iranian, Chinese FMs pledge to fight 'illegitimate, unilateral' sanctions Press TV 01 Apr 2022 -- As the United States slaps new sanctions on Tehran, the Iranian and Chinese foreign ministers have asserted that they will fight Washington's "illegitimate and unilateral" sanctions against independent countries.
- Chinese authorities slam misleading allegations on HK from UK, US Global Times 01 Apr 2022 -- Chinese authorities on Friday expressed strong opposition to the UK's six-monthly report on Hong Kong and the US Hong Kong Policy Act Report in response to unfounded remarks on Hong Kong-related affairs.
- Any attempt to disrupt HK rule of law doomed to fail: FM spokesperson People's Daily 01 Apr 2022 -- China on Thursday urged Britain to immediately stop its "clumsy political stunt" and stop its interference in Hong Kong's affairs and other China's internal affairs.
- Hong Kong rejects 'unfounded' US, UK claims of deteriorating freedoms Press TV 01 Apr 2022 -- Hong Kong has slammed as "unfounded" and "ridiculous" allegations in the reports recently issued by the US and the UK about what they call deteriorating democratic rights and freedoms in the semi-autonomous Chinese city.
- Press freedom in Hong Kong gets lowest marks from public since handover to China Radio Free Asia 01 Apr 2022 -- Public satisfaction with the media in Hong Kong has hit rock bottom, according to a recent public opinion survey.
- Chinese officials restrict the number of Uyghurs who can observe Ramadan Radio Free Asia 01 Apr 2022 -- Chinese authorities in Xinjiang are restricting the number of Muslims allowed to observe the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, drawing heavy criticism from rights groups that see the government directive as the latest effort to diminish Uyghur culture in the region.
- China May Help Central Asian Countries Amid Global Grain Supply Disruption VOA 01 Apr 2022 -- Russia's war in Ukraine and the Western sanctions that have followed are putting pressure on countries in Central Asia that import grain and other critical supplies from the region.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list