Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
30 March 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- COVID-hit Jilin urged to fix loopholes in anti-epidemic work Global Times 30 Mar 2022 -- With public attention focused on surging COVID-19 infections in China's largest metropolis Shanghai, some public health experts have called for greater efforts in fixing severe loopholes in local anti-epidemic work in Northeast China's Jilin Province particularly after a number of workers were reportedly infected during the construction of local Fangcang makeshift hospitals and local residents are faced with a food shortage amid an Omicron flare-up.
- Shanghai goes full throttle to stem COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- China's economic hub Shanghai is conducting a new round of screening using both nucleic acid and antigen testing to contain the latest resurgence in COVID-19 infections, a municipal health official told a press conference on Wednesday.
- China acts swiftly to contain COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- Decisive, swift and tailored measures are being implemented across China to contain the latest novel coronavirus flare-ups.
- HKSAR chief executive urges active vaccination against COVID-19 People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam Tuesday called on unvaccinated Hong Kong residents, especially children and the elderly, to get jabs against COVID-19.
- Chinese mainland reports 1,565 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported 1,565 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission's Wednesday report showed.
- China to continue playing constructive role in promoting de-escalation of Ukraine crisis: FM Global Times 30 Mar 2022 -- China has been doing its best for peace and will continue to play a constructive role in promoting de-escalation of the Ukraine crisis, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Wednesday.
- China, Russia slam 'illegal' international sanctions targeting Putin over Ukraine Radio Free Asia 30 Mar 2022 -- Russia and China further cemented their alliance on Wednesday, hitting out "illegal" international sanctions on Russia in response to its invasion of Ukraine.
- U.S. has inescapable responsibilities for Ukraine crisis People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- After experiencing profound changes and a pandemic unprecedented in a century, the globe today is confronted with another major issue - the Ukraine crisis. Solving existing and future challenges and pursuing a ceasefire is a common aspiration of all peace-loving nations and peoples.
- China's solid rocket Long March-11 makes 12th successful launch Global Times 30 Mar 2022 -- China's solid propellant rocket Long March-11 sent three satellites into preset orbits on Wednesday, marking the rocket model's 12th consecutive successful launch in its 12 orbital flights.
- China Launches Long March 11 Carrier Rocket Putting 3 Tianping-2 Satellites on Orbit Sputnik 30 Mar 2022 -- China has successfully launched a Long March (Chang Zheng) 11 carrier rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in Gansu province in the country's north-west on Wednesday and deployed three Tianping-2 satellites into orbit, China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC) said.
- China sends Long March 6A on maiden flight People's Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- China conducted the maiden flight of the Long March 6A carrier rocket on Tuesday afternoon at the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in Shanxi province, according to China Aerospace Science and Technology Corp.
- Solomons ready to sign security pact, denies pressure for China base Radio Free Asia 30 Mar 2022 -- The Solomon Islands prime minister has told lawmakers that a controversial security agreement with China is "ready for signing" without revealing the details, saying only that his government had not been pressured to let China build a naval base in the country.
- PLA fighter jets hold cross-regional drills over 5,000km, show capabilities Global Times 30 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force recently organized a cross-day-and-night, cross-regional maneuver exercise that saw multiple types of fighter jets flying across more than 5,000 kilometers in less than 20 hours, covering different terrains including plateaus and the sea, demonstrating not only the outstanding capabilities of the pilots and warplanes, but also the strong logistics support capabilities of all air bases involved, experts said on Wednesday.
- Chinese 'Rainbow' drone to be used for exploration of geological resources in Qinghai-Xizang Plateau Global Times 30 Mar 2022 -- China's domestically produced Caihong, or Rainbow drone, will be used for exploration of geological resources in the Qinghai-Xizang Plateau and polar regions, according to a statement released by the Aerospace CH UAV Co on Wednesday.
- China issues new regulations on management of soldiers PLA Daily 30 Mar 2022 -- With the approval of Xi Jinping, chairman of the Central Military Commission (CMC), the CMC has issued a series of new regulations on the management of People's Liberation Army (PLA) soldiers.
- Iranian Navy Joins France, Other Countries in Joint Maritime Drills Off Indian Coast Sputnik 30 Mar 2022 -- Jointly led by India and France, the IONS comprises 24 countries, including Iran, Pakistan, Australia and Indonesia. Eight countries - among them China, Russia, and Japan - have observer status.
- Man Charged with Transnational Repression Campaign While Acting as an Illegal Agent of the Chinese Government in the United States US Dept. of Justice 30 Mar 2022 -- A Chinese national is charged in a criminal complaint, which was unsealed today in the Southern District of New York, with conspiring to act in the United States as an illegal agent of the People's Republic of China (PRC).
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on March 30, 2022 PRC MofA 30 Mar 2022
- US should not pursue protectionism, long-arm jurisdiction: FM Global Times 30 Mar 2022 -- China's Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday that China does not partake in "distortion of market behavior," while urging the US not to pursue protectionism, and stop suppressing global enterprises and engaging in long-arm jurisdictional practice, in response to US Trade Representative Katherine Tai's remark that the US will more actively pressure China.
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's answers to media questions following bilateral meetings on the sidelines of the ministerial meeting of Afghanistan's neighbours in Tunxi, March 30, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 30 Mar 2022
- Russia, China moving toward 'just, democratic world order': Lavrov Press TV 30 Mar 2022 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says key allies, China and Russia, are moving towards a new world order under the West's illegal sanctions against Moscow.
- Russian FM Lavrov makes first visit to China since Ukraine war Press TV 30 Mar 2022 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has arrived in China for talks on Afghanistan, marking his first visit to the Asian country since Moscow launched a military operation in Ukraine last month.
- China Backs 'Political Stability' in Islamabad, Pakistan FM Says Amid Claims of US Interference Sputnik 30 Mar 2022 -- Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan's Tehreek-e-Insaaf party was dealt a major blow on Wednesday when its ally the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) withdrew its support for the government ahead of Thursday's no-confidence vote. Presently, Khan's government is left with the support of 164 lawmakers, while the opposition is now comprised of 177 members.
- 'Not Business As Usual': EU Prepares For Tense China Summit Amid Ukraine War RFE/RL 30 Mar 2022 -- When European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and Charles Michel, president of the European Council, meet for a virtual summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping on April 1, they plan to warn Beijing that there will be consequences if it provides aid to Russia amid its invasion of Ukraine.
- Russian, US officials to attend meeting in China on Afghan situation, amid China's efforts to mediate heated issues Global Times 30 Mar 2022 -- While the third Meeting of Foreign Ministers of Afghanistan's Neighboring Countries is scheduled in China's Anhui Province on Wednesday and Thursday, China will also host a Troika Plus meeting there with Russia, the US and Pakistan over the Afghan situation. Observers said that against the backdrop of the Ukraine crisis, the upcoming meetings on Afghanistan will help congregate the stake-holding parties to help Afghanistan despite their grudges, which showcases China's efforts to promote regional stability and its capability to mediate heated issues.
- Iran, China back Afghanistan's independence, national unity: FM Press TV 30 Mar 2022 -- Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian says Iran and China back Afghanistan's independence and national unity as well as the Afghan people's right to self-determination.
- Foreign Secretary supports the withdrawal of serving UK judges from the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal UK FCDO 30 Mar 2022 -- Foreign Secretary Liz Truss welcomes the decision to withdraw serving UK judges from the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal.
- British Judges Quit Hong Kong Court Over Beijing-Imposed National Security Law VOA 30 Mar 2022 -- Two senior British judges resigned from Hong Kong's highest court on Wednesday as part of a broader British rebuke of the territory's claim that its courts are independent of political interference.
- Top British judges quit Hong Kong final appeal court, citing national security law Radio Free Asia 30 Mar 2022 -- Two U.K. Supreme Court judges resigned from Hong Kong's Court of Final Appeal (CFA) on Wednesday, citing a recent crackdown on dissent under a draconian national security law imposed on the city by Beijing.
- UK Judges Withdraw From Hong Kong Court of Appeal Over China┬┤s National Security Law Sputnik 30 Mar 2022 -- Two senior UK judges on Wednesday resigned from their roles as non-permanent judges on Hong Kong's Court of Final Appeal, arguing that their position has become "increasingly finely balanced" since the Chinese central government introduced the national security law in the former British colony in 2020.
- Kenya Gets Huawei-Linked Chinese Communications Cable VOA 30 Mar 2022 -- China has connected a high-speed, multimillion-dollar, 15,000-kilometer undersea cable to Kenya, as Beijing advances what's been dubbed its "digital silk road," and Africa seeks the infrastructure it badly needs for better internet connectivity.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list