Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 March 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Jilin reports another 2,848 daily COVID-19 cases Global Times 23 Mar 2022 -- The health authority of Northeast China's Jilin Province said on Wednesday that the pandemic remains severe and the peak is yet to come. The region has reported daily infections of more than a thousand for 11 days since March 12.
- Three shots of Sinovac vaccine offer 98% protection against death, severe illness for people aged 60 and above: real world data in HK Global Times 23 Mar 2022 -- A study of the University of Hong Kong revealed that three shots of CoronaVac offered approximately 98 percent protection against death or severe illness in people aged 60 and above in the city, underscoring the importance of boosters for the group, producer Sinovac told the Global Times on Wednesday.
- Shanghai insists on dynamic zero-COVID, denies 'citywide lockdown' rumors Global Times 23 Mar 2022 -- Shanghai began a new round of nucleic acid testing for key regions from Wednesday to Thursday within a much narrower scope under the targeted preventive measures for COVID-19, as the city struggles with its "toughest" fight against COVID-19 since the epidemic battle entered into a normalization stage.
- Sinopharm kicks off joint-production of COVID-19 vaccine in Myanmar Global Times 23 Mar 2022 -- Chinese companies are making more efforts to help promote access to COVID-19 vaccines in developing countries. On Wednesday, major Chinese vaccine producer Sinopharm confirmed with the Global Times that production of its COVID-19 vaccine in Myanmar officially started under a cooperation project with a local partner and the authorities of the country.
- Chinese mainland reports 2,591 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported 2,591 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Over 4 mln more COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 23 Mar 2022 -- The amount of COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on the Chinese mainland grew by around 4.03 million on Monday, with the total number exceeding 3.23 billion, data from the National Health Commission (NHC) showed Tuesday.
- Over 41,000 local COVID-19 cases reported in China since March 1 People's Daily 23 Mar 2022 -- More than 41,000 local COVID-19 infections had been reported in 28 provincial-level regions across China between March 1 and 21, a senior health official said Tuesday.
- Leading Chinese expert reiterates adherence to dynamic zero-COVID approach People's Daily 23 Mar 2022 -- A leading Chinese epidemiologist has reiterated that it is a must for China to stick to its dynamic zero-COVID approach in the face of mounting anti-epidemic pressure from both at home and abroad.
- NE China city imposes closed management of residents amid COVID-19 outbreak People's Daily 23 Mar 2022 -- Authorities in Shenyang, capital of northeast China's Liaoning Province, began to implement closed management of communities and villages on Tuesday in a bid to contain the local COVID-19 outbreak.
- China, Pakistan share 'common position' on Ukraine crisis: ambassador Global Times 23 Mar 2022 -- China and Pakistan have been very closely coordinating on the Ukraine crisis and share a common position on the issue, calling for the de-escalation of the conflict and dialogue between the relevant parties, said Moin ul Haque, Ambassador of Pakistan to China, in an exclusive interview with the Global Times on Wednesday.
- 'Taiwan is not Japan's business.' Chinese FM protests Abe's call with Tsai Ing-wen Global Times 23 Mar 2022 -- Some politicians in Japan are openly colluding with Taiwan secessionists and pointing fingers at the Taiwan question, which China is firmly opposed to and strongly dissatisfied with, Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday, noting that China has lodged solemn representations with Japan after former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe and Taiwan regional leader Tsai Ing-wen spoke on Tuesday.
- Chinese Government Employee Convicted of Participating in Conspiracy to Defraud the United States and Fraudulently Obtain U.S. Visas US Dept. of Justice 23 Mar 2022 -- A federal jury convicted a New Jersey man for his involvement in a conspiracy to fraudulently obtain U.S. visas for Chinese government employees.
- US, Philippines to hold 'largest-ever' war games amid China tensions Press TV 23 Mar 2022 -- The Philippines and the United States are planning to hold their largest-ever joint military drills near the South China Sea next week, amid rising tensions with China over the strategic waterway.
- US, NATO Allies Watching China Carefully VOA 23 Mar 2022 -- Western leaders meeting in Brussels about Russia's ongoing invasion of Ukraine are expected to spend a significant amount of time talking about China.
- China blocks use of Tibetan language on learning apps, streaming services Radio Free Asia 23 Mar 2022 -- Chinese government restrictions on use of the Tibetan language have now spread to video services and other online platforms, as Beijing continues to push the assimilation of China's ethnic minorities into the dominant Han Chinese culture, according to Tibetan sources.
- U.S.'s most powerful cyberattack system is targeting China: Sources PLA Daily 23 Mar 2022 -- The QUANTUM attack system, the most powerful cyberattack tool of the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA), which is capable of monitoring, intercepting and utilizing data that the NSA collected from the global network communication and internet system, has been revealed, Chinese newspaper the Global Times reported.
- Space-craft tracking ship Yuanwang-5 sets sail on new missions PLA Daily 23 Mar 2022 -- China's homegrown third-generation space-craft tracking ship Yuanwang-5 set sail for the Pacific Ocean and other sea areas for maritime tracking and measuring missions on the morning of March 22.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on March 23, 2022 PRC MofA 23 Mar 2022
- China recruits, trains monitors for online religious content Radio Free Asia 23 Mar 2022 -- Authorities in China have launched a mass training program for censors to erase non-government religious content from China's tightly controlled internet.
- China specifies energy targets for 2021-2025 People's Daily 23 Mar 2022 -- Chinese authorities have released a plan for developing a modern energy system during the 14th Five-Year Plan period (2021-2025), setting targets for securing energy supplies and boosting energy efficiency.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list