Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
22 March 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Experts: Herd Immunity, Vaccinations Needed as COVID Restrictions Relaxed in Hong Kong VOA 22 Mar 2022 -- Since the pandemic began, Hong Kong has adopted Beijing's approach of a "zero-Covid" policy. This has previously been enforced with quick measures to eradicate infections and lengthy quarantines for arrivals.
- China issues more targeted testing guideline under dynamic zero policy, no longer requires mass testing Global Times 22 Mar 2022 -- China on Tuesday revised its guideline on nucleic acid testing, which no longer requires citywide testing but regional testing, in order to make its epidemic prevention and control measures more targeted under the dynamic zero-COVID policy amid the worst outbreak in two years, which has spread to 28 provinces and regions.
- Average age of Omicron patients is 40.6 years old in Shanghai's latest outbreak Global Times 22 Mar 2022 -- The majority of infected persons amid this round of Omicron outbreak in Shanghai are young and middle-aged people with good health, a Shanghai government official said on Tuesday. There was a large disparity in the proportion of confirmed cases and asymptomatic infections, which is related to Omicron characteristics, human immunity and mass vaccination, the authorities noted.
- Factbox: What you need to know about Jilin's COVID-19 fight People's Daily 22 Mar 2022 -- Northeast China's Jilin Province, hit hard by a COVID-19 resurgence, is making every effort to rein in the virus. Here is what you need to know about the epidemic control efforts in the province.
- Over 4 mln more COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 22 Mar 2022 -- The amount of COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on the Chinese mainland grew by around 4.03 million on Monday, with the total number exceeding 3.23 billion, data from the National Health Commission showed Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2,281 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 22 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 2,281 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission's Tuesday report showed.
- Tens of millions under lockdown in China amid rising COVID-19 wave Radio Free Asia 22 Mar 2022 -- China's latest COVID-19 wave continued to rise on Tuesday, with confirmed and locally transmitted cases in Shanghai rising for the fifth day in a row, as the authorities struggled to contain the highly contagious omicron variant of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
- China encourages differentiated funeral services amid COVID-19 outbreak People's Daily 22 Mar 2022 -- The Ministry of Civil Affairs has urged policy adjustments and differentiated epidemic prevention measures in advance of this year's Tomb-sweeping Day, which falls on April 5, due to the latest COVID-19 resurgence.
- China temporarily includes COVID-19 antigen tests in medical insurance People's Daily 22 Mar 2022 -- China has brought antigen tests into its medical insurance as an interim measure against COVID-19, according to the National Healthcare Security Administration.
- Pakistan Advocates Mediation by Islamic World, China in Ukraine Conflict VOA 22 Mar 2022 -- Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan advocated on Tuesday for Muslim countries and close ally China to work together to mediate and put an end to the Russia-Ukraine conflict.
- China, Pakistan should strengthen coordination on Afghanistan and Ukraine issues: FM Wang Yi Global Times 22 Mar 2022 -- China and Pakistan should strengthen coordination on international and regional issues such as Afghanistan and Ukraine, practice true multilateralism and oppose power politics, bullying and unilateral sanctions, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Monday at a joint conference with Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi in Islamabad.
- China Uses Overseas Social Media to Spread Unique Views on War in Ukraine VOA 22 Mar 2022 -- Chinese state-controlled media are placing volumes of content on popular social media platforms to air the government's unique message about Russia's war on Ukraine to a Western audience, analysts say. News readers don't always know the content's origin, they add.
- US expeditionary mobile base enters S.China Sea for 1st time, sending a worrying signal Global Times 22 Mar 2022 -- The USS Miguel Keith expeditionary mobile base, a type of large logistics support and command and control vessel, reportedly entered the South China Sea for the first time on Monday, with Chinese analysts saying on Tuesday that China should pay close attention to this alarming move, as the warship can potentially enable the US military to operate even more extensively in the region.
- Beijing Asks US to Stop 'Sowing Discord, Flexing' As Admiral Talks of South China Sea Build-up Sputnik 22 Mar 2022 -- On Sunday, US Indo-Pacific Command chief John Aquilino accused China of undertaking "the largest military build-up since the Second World War," and accused Beijing of beefing up three of its artificial islands in the South China Sea with anti-ship and anti-aircraft missile systems, laser equipment, jamming devices and fighter jets.
- PLA Navy's upgraded J-11B fighter jet joins S.China Sea exercise Global Times 22 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy has received delivery of an upgraded version of the J-11B fighter jet, with at least one participating in a recent mock combat exercise over the South China Sea.
- Chinese naval vessels return from Tonga after delivering relief supplies PLA Daily 22 Mar 2022 -- The PLA naval vessels, the amphibious dock landing ship Wuzhishan (Hull 987) and the comprehensive supply ship Chaganhu (Hull 967), ended their mission of transporting disaster relief materials to Tonga and returned to a naval port in Zhanjiang, South China's Guangdong Province, on the morning of March 21.
- Chinese tracking vessel sails to Pacific Ocean for monitoring missions PLA Daily 22 Mar 2022 -- China's third-generation space tracking ship Yuanwang-5 on Tuesday set sail for the Pacific Ocean from a port in Jiangsu Province for multiple monitoring missions.
- 115th joint patrol on Mekong River begins PLA Daily 22 Mar 2022 -- Law-enforcement authorities from China, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand joined forces on Tuesday for the start of the 115th Mekong River joint patrol.
- Exclusive: New evidence shows US hijacks, monitors users' social media accounts, emails Global Times 22 Mar 2022 -- Chinese cybersecurity experts for the first time disclosed a typical weapon used by US National Security Agency (NSA) to target China. The weapon can monitor and hijack users' social media accounts, emails and communication information, the Global Times learned from a leading cybersecurity company exclusively on Tuesday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on March 22, 2022 PRC MofA 22 Mar 2022
- China decries US interference in its affairs, warns of reciprocal sanctions Press TV 22 Mar 2022 -- China has condemned the new travel bans, imposed by the United States against Chinese officials over alleged human rights violations, as interference in its internal affair, warning of reciprocal measures.
- China urges US to withdraw visa restrictions on officials or face countermeasures Global Times 22 Mar 2022 -- The US statement on restricting visas of Chinese officials for their involvement in "repressive acts" against ethnic and religious minority groups is full of ideological bias and political lies, which China firmly opposes, Wang Wenbin, spokesperson of the Chinese Foreign Ministry, told a press conference on Tuesday, urging the US to withdraw such sanctions or China will take countermeasures.
- US sanctions Chinese officials for repression of Uyghurs Radio Free Asia 22 Mar 2022 -- The U.S. government has imposed new sanctions against Chinese officials over the repression of Uyghurs in China and elsewhere, prompting an angry response from Beijing and a pledge to respond with sanctions of its own.
- Uyghur woman serving 20-year sentence for speaking to Turkish PM 10 years ago Radio Free Asia 22 Mar 2022 -- A Uyghur woman who spoke for an hour with a Turkish politician a decade ago during his visit to a famous bazaar in northwestern China's Xinjiang region was arrested for her transgression in 2017 and is serving a 20-year prison sentence, her husband said.
- HK police busts underground forces planning for separatist activities Global Times 22 Mar 2022 -- The Hong Kong Police Force (HKPF) has busted an underground group seeking to set up a separatist force with weapons, money and electronic communication equipment in an enforcement operation in three districts of the city, reported Hong Kong media.
- Hong Kong's Carrie Lam Could See No-Confidence Vote After SAR Caves to Corporate Anti-Lockdown Lobby Sputnik 22 Mar 2022 -- An opposition lawmaker in Hong Kong's Legislative Council has threatened to bring a motion of no confidence against Chief Executive Carrie Lam for the government's backing off of COVID-19 restrictions amid a massive new outbreak of the deadly disease.
- North Korean workers and their manager disappear from Shanghai dormitory Radio Free Asia 22 Mar 2022 -- A group of 20 North Korean textile workers who were dispatched to Shanghai to earn foreign currency for the government have disappeared, and Pyongyang authorities suspect they are now on the run as refugees, sources in China told RFA.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list