Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
21 March 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Hong Kong to lift COVID-19 flight bans, open schools despite soaring death toll Radio Free Asia 21 Mar 2022 -- Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam on Monday said the city would lift some flight bans and stall plans for compulsory mass testing favored by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP), as the city ran out of coffins amid spiraling COVID-19 deaths.
- 10,000 doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 drug arrive in epidemic-hit Jilin frontlines Global Times 21 Mar 2022 -- Epidemic-hit Jilin Province in Northeast China has received and distributed 10,000 doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 treatment drug Paxlovid to the anti-epidemic frontlines, the first batch of this coronavirus oral pill to be used in the Chinese mainland after gaining approval.
- Hong Kong to suspend mass testing, cancel flight bans on nine countries Global Times 21 Mar 2022 -- Hong Kong will suspend citywide mass nucleic acid testing, cancel flight bans on nine foreign countries, lower the requirements for quarantine of international arrivals, and deliver epidemic prevention kits to residents, according to a series of adjusted measures that the Special Administrative Region government announced on Monday.
- Shanghai increases medical institutions to treat COVID-19 patients amid rising infections Global Times 21 Mar 2022 -- Shanghai has temporarily increased centralized treatment centers to provide treatment for infected patients, as the city is facing a severe and complex COVID-19 epidemic situation, a Shanghai government official said at Monday's press briefing. The city reported a record number of 24 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, and 734 local asymptomatic infections on Sunday.
- 4th shot to be in consideration; Vaccination rates, medicine stockpiles and medical resources to be focus of China's COVID-19 prevention strategy: expert Global Times 21 Mar 2022 -- Zhang Wenhong, Shanghai-based renowned infectious disease expert noted at a forum on Saturday that China will explore smarter COVID-19 prevention and control strategies, emphasizing that vaccination rates, medicine stockpiles and medical resources will be the focus of China's future epidemic management.
- China strives to win long-term battle against virus with more targeted measures Global Times 21 Mar 2022 -- The daily tally of COVID-19 cases in China remained high over the weekend, with 3,803 infections being reported in the Chinese mainland on Sunday, involving 21 provincial-level localities.
- Vaccination rates, medicine stockpiles and medical resources to be the focus of China's next stage against COVID-19: expert Global Times 21 Mar 2022 -- Zhang Wenhong, Shanghai-based renowned infectious disease expert noted at a forum on Saturday that China will explore smarter COVID-19 prevention and control strategies, emphasizing that vaccination rates, medicine stockpiles and medical resources will be the focus of China's future epidemic management.
- Chinese mainland reports 1,947 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported 1,947 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission's Monday report showed.
- Over 3.22 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 21 Mar 2022 -- The amount of COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on the Chinese mainland grew by over 4.15 million on Saturday, with the total number reaching over 3.22 billion, data from the National Health Commission showed Sunday.
- Another two flights taking back Chinese citizens evacuated from Ukraine return safely People's Daily 21 Mar 2022 -- Another two temporary flights carrying Chinese citizens evacuated from Ukraine returned home safely on Monday.
- US says 3 China bases in South China Sea now fully militarized Radio Free Asia 21 Mar 2022 -- China has fully militarized at least three of its artificial islands in the South China Sea, equipping them with missile systems and fighter jets, a top U.S. commander has said.
- US admiral hypes 'China militarization' in S.China Sea Global Times 21 Mar 2022 -- A top US military commander on Sunday again hyped the so-called militarization by China in the South China Sea by personally participating in an aerial close-in reconnaissance on Chinese islands and reefs in the region together with journalists, which is a move that Chinese analysts said on Monday could be a political farce attempting to copy the Ukraine crisis in the Asia-Pacific, rallying allies, partners and other countries in the region to confront China.
- US Navy Admiral Claims China Has Turned Three Islands in South China Sea Into Military Bases Sputnik 21 Mar 2022 -- The vast waters of the South China Sea, including the Spratly archipelago and the Paracel Islands, have long been a bone of contention in the Asia Pacific. The area, claimed by China, is valued for its rich bioresources, strategic location at the crossroads of sea routes to the Indian and Pacific Oceans, and potential reserves of oil and minerals.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on March 21, 2022 PRC MofA 21 Mar 2022
- Promoting Accountability for Transnational Repression Committed by People's Republic of China (PRC) Officials US Dept. of State 21 Mar 2022 -- The Department of State is taking action against PRC officials for their involvement in repressive acts against members of ethnic and religious minority groups and religious and spiritual practitioners inside and outside of China's borders, including within the United States.
- US Sanctions Chinese Officials 'Involved in Repressive Acts' in Xinjiang Region Sputnik 21 Mar 2022 -- Washington has pressured Beijing to speak out against Russia's special military operation in Ukraine, threatening to sanction China if the latter is found to be aiding its northern neighbor. So far, Beijing has only expressed support for ongoing talks between diplomats from Kiev and Moscow.
- Envoy upholds China's position amid pressure to condemn Russia Global Times 21 Mar 2022 -- China's trusted relations with Russia and good relations with Ukraine give it the unique position in international efforts for peace talks, Chinese Ambassador to the US Qin Gang reiterated China's stance on the Ukraine crisis in an interview on a US talk show.
- China 'won't be coerced by US' on its ties with Russia Global Times 21 Mar 2022 -- After the video call between Chinese and US top leaders, the US side and Western media are trying to hype a narrative that Washington is warning Beijing that any attempt "to provide military support" to Moscow would bring consequences. However, Chinese experts said such a ridiculous approach is an arrogant and useless coercion that is doomed to fail, and China has strong confidence in its foreign policy on the Ukraine issue and it will not be coerced by anyone.
- US senator: Saudi use of yuan 'big, bad thing', sign that America is weak Press TV 21 Mar 2022 -- An American senator warns that China and Saudi Arabia's potential ditching of the dollar in their bilateral oil trade could indicate a global shift away from the United States.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list