Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
18 March 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- GT Investigates: China's zero-COVID policy, flexible measures ensure minimum impact on supply chains Global Times 18 Mar 2022 -- Concerns by some US media outlets over potential supply chain hiccups as a round of Omicron cases hit some of China's major manufacturing and commercial cities are a testament to China's prominence in the global supply chain, analysts and industry insiders said on Friday. While some sectors are inevitably affected during the current fight to contain the virus, the overall health of the supply chain in China remains sound, thanks to the effective dynamic zero-COVID strategy, and as cities swiftly resume production, the impact of this round of epidemic flare-ups will be very limited, they said.
- China reiterates unshakable stand on dynamic zero COVID-19 policy Global Times 18 Mar 2022 -- China's National Health Commission on Friday reiterated the significance of China firmly sticking to the dynamic zero COVID-19 policy, saying the defensive line must be guarded against the epidemic for the country of 1.4 billion people.
- Jilin COVID-19 cases surge after 2-day drop; avoiding infection risk at testing sites key to week-long clearance plan Global Times 18 Mar 2022 -- After a two-day drop in the number of infections since Tuesday, locally transmitted cases in Northeast China's Jilin Province surged sharply on Thursday, casting a shadow on the provincial government which has vowed to crush the outbreak within a week.
- Quanzhou in E.China starts mass nucleic acid testing to combat Omicron; authorities clarify no 'lockdown' Global Times 18 Mar 2022 -- Quanzhou in East China's Fujian Province started city-wide mass nucleic acid testing from 7 am on Friday including foreigners as the city has reported 492 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases including 181 asymptomatic cases from March 13 to 10 am Friday.
- Eight officials dismissed in S.China's Shenzhen for failure of duty in Omicron outbreak Global Times 18 Mar 2022 -- The government of Omicron-hit Shenzhen in South China's Guangdong Province said Friday that they had dismissed eight officials in public security and health departments from their posts for dereliction of duty. Before the move, more than 60 officials were reportedly punished for dereliction of duty during recent nationwide outbreaks.
- China vows adherence to dynamic zero-COVID approach People's Daily 18 Mar 2022 -- China will stick to the dynamic zero-COVID approach as the line of defense against the epidemic at the moment, a Chinese health official said Friday.
- The Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China Central Committee convenes a meeting on COVID-19 situation and better and more stringent epidemic prevention and control People's Daily 18 Mar 2022 -- The Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China Central Committee convened a meeting on March 17 to analyze the new development of COVID-19 and arrange for better and more stringent epidemic control. General Secretary Xi Jinping presided over the meeting and delivered an important speech.
- COVID-19 antigen self-testing kits appear at pharmacies, online platforms People's Daily 18 Mar 2022 -- COVID-19 antigen home-testing kits have started to mushroom at drug stores and e-commerce platforms in China, as the country is resolute in taking stricter and swifter measures to stem new infections.
- Chinese mainland reports 2,388 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 18 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported 2,388 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, up from 1,226 on Wednesday, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- Various sectors in Hong Kong slam smearing on mainland aid against COVID-19 People's Daily 18 Mar 2022 -- Various sectors in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) have voiced their strong opposition to the sinister and despicable vilification by Western forces and anti-China disruptors against Chinese mainland support on the local fight against COVID-19.
- Xi orders swift containment of virus, sticking to dynamic zero-COVID Global Times 18 Mar 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday chaired a leadership meeting on fighting COVID-19, in which he stressed science-based and accurate measures and the adherence to the dynamic zero-COVID policy to curb the spread of the epidemic soonest.
- Beijing reports 60 local COVID-19 cases in latest outbreak with 9 transmission chains Global Times 18 Mar 2022 -- Beijing has reported 60 local COVID-19 cases as of Thursday amid the latest outbreak since March 7 with nine transmission chains, including family and school cluster infections. The source of infection of two of the transmission chains is still undetermined.
- Standing Committee of Political Bureau of CPC Central Committee convenes meeting on COVID-19 situation and better and more stringent epidemic prevention and control People's Daily 18 Mar 2022 -- The Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee convened a meeting on March 17 to analyze the new development of COVID-19 and arrange for better and more stringent epidemic control. Xi Jinping, general secretary of the CPC Central Committee, presided over the meeting and delivered an important speech.
- 16 officials in China's Jilin disciplined over COVID-19 outbreak People's Daily 18 Mar 2022 -- Sixteen officials in northeast China's Jilin Province have been held responsible for the latest COVID-19 resurgence in the province, said the provincial discipline inspection and supervisory authorities on Thursday.
- Xi requires swift containment of latest COVID-19 outbreaks People's Daily 18 Mar 2022 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, on Thursday urged swift containment of the spread of the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Chinese FM urges US to reflect on its responsibility using a string of questions to respond to foreign media's pressure over the Ukraine crisis Global Times 18 Mar 2022 -- "As the initiator of the Ukraine crisis, why does the US not reflect on its and NATO's responsibility of causing the current security crisis in Europe? Why does it not rethink its hypocrisy in fanning the flames of the Ukraine crisis? Why doesn't the EU media rethink how the region has become a battlefield?" Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian asked in response to some foreign media's questions on China's stand on the Ukraine crisis.
- China's Xi calls for immediate end to Ukraine conflict in call with Biden Press TV 18 Mar 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has told his American counterpart, Joe Biden, that the ongoing war in Ukraine has to end as soon as possible.
- Xi calls for end to Ukraine conflict in call with Biden Radio Free Asia 18 Mar 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping told U.S. President Joe Biden during a video call on Friday that the war in Ukraine must be stopped and called for talks between NATO countries and Moscow, but made no mention of Russia's role in sparking the conflict.
- China Maintains Independent Stance on Ukraine Crisis as US Threatens Backlash for Supporting Russia Sputnik 18 Mar 2022 -- Beijing adheres to an independent position on the Ukrainian crisis, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Friday, commenting on Washington's threats to take action in event of China's support for Russia.
- Readout of President Joseph R. Biden Jr. Call with President Xi Jinping of the People's Republic of China The White House 18 Mar 2022
- Background Press Call by a Senior Administration Official on President Biden's Call with President Xi Jinping of China The White House 18 Mar 2022
- Biden Warns Xi About 'Consequences' Of Chinese Support For Russia's Ukraine War RFE/RL 18 Mar 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden has outlined to his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, the "consequences" of any support for Russia in its war against neighboring Ukraine, the White House said.
- In Call, Biden Warned Xi Not to Support Russia VOA 18 Mar 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden spoke to Xi Jinping on Friday, warning the Chinese leader not to provide material support to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, a day after Biden's top diplomat acknowledged that Washington believed Beijing is willing to provide such support.
- China sends tough signal ahead of Xi-Biden talk to set firm position on bilateral ties, Ukraine issue Global Times 18 Mar 2022 -- Just hours before the phone call between Chinese President Xi Jinping and US President Joe Biden on Friday, China, in a rare move, sent tough signals, stating it will never accept US threats and coercion over the Ukraine issue and vowing to make a strong response if the US takes measures harming China's legitimate interests.
- Exclusive: China never accepts US coercion on Ukraine, will take strong countermeasures if interests of Chinese companies, individuals violated Global Times 18 Mar 2022 -- An anonymous official told the Global Times that at the request of the US, Chinese President Xi Jinping and US President Joe Biden will hold a phone call to exchange views on China-US relations and the Ukraine situation; out of considerations of bilateral relations, promoting peace talks and urging the US to take right stance, China accepted the proposal.
- Xi stresses joint China-U.S. efforts for world peace, tranquility PLA Daily 18 Mar 2022 -- China and the United States must not only guide their relations forward along the right track, but also shoulder their share of international responsibilities and work for world peace and tranquility, Chinese President Xi Jinping said on Friday.
- Xi Jinping: Countries should not come to the point of meeting on the battlefield. Conflict andconfrontation are not in anyone's interest. Peace and security are what the international community should treasure the most. PRC MofA 18 Mar 202
- Taiwan confirms Chinese aircraft carrier transit in Taiwan Strait CNA 18 Mar 2022 -- A Chinese aircraft carrier sailed through the Taiwan Strait on Friday, Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND) confirmed, adding that it had a full grasp of the situation in the sensitive waters.
- Aircraft carrier Shandong's Taiwan Straits transit routine, not linked with talks between Chinese, US top leaders: FM Global Times 18 Mar 2022 -- The alleged transit of the Shandong, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy's second aircraft carrier, through the Taiwan Straits on Friday is likely a routine arrangement and should not be linked with the communication between the Chinese and US heads of state, said the Chinese Foreign Ministry.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on March 18, 2022 PRC MofA 18 Mar 2022
- Hong Kong TV station apologizes for reporter's question about medical complaints Radio Free Asia 18 Mar 2022 -- Journalists in Hong Kong have hit out at criticism of a colleague in the pro-Chinese Communist Party (CCP) press after she asked a question about complaints procedures following a medical accident involving staff from mainland China.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list