Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
16 March 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- New COVID Lockdowns in China Spark Fears of Economic Disruption VOA 16 Mar 2022 -- A growing COVID-19 outbreak in China has pushed the number of infections reported by the government in Beijing to levels not seen in two years, leading to lockdowns in some of the country's most economically important regions and sparking concern about another major shock to a global economy already reeling from high inflation and the war in Ukraine.
- Sinovac's vaccine remains highly effective against severe disease on minors aged 3-5 in Chile: study Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- A real world study in Chile showed that CronaVac, the Chinese COVID-19 vaccine manufactured by Sinovac, can effectively protect children aged between 3 and 5 from infection, hospitalization and intensive care unit admission amid a rampant wave of the Omicron variant.
- Another COVID-19 oral drug available in HK, expected to lower death rate Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- The first shipment of the COVID-19 oral medication Paxlovid has been distributed to the Hong Kong Hospital Authority to be used as treatment on Wednesday, while subsequent shipments are due to arrive in the next months.
- 'Fight to the finish': Jilin builds 8 makeshift hospitals, vows to bring outbreak under control ASAP Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- Northeast China's Jilin Province has built eight makeshift hospitals and two quarantine centers to cope with the surge of COVID-19 cases. The Party chief of the province said that the battle against the Omicron outbreak is at a crucial stage, and asked the province to "race against time" and concentrate all resources to bring the outbreak under control as soon as possible.
- Beijing reports cluster outbreak at school Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- Beijing reported a cluster outbreak at a primary school infecting students and their family members, with 15 people infected in total. The cases are the Omicron strain and are highly similar to the virus sequences sampled abroad in January 2022.
- Over 3.2 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- Over 3.2 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Tuesday, data from the National Health Commission showed Wednesday.
- Pandemic restrictions in southern China have 'huge impact' on electronics sector Radio Free Asia 16 Mar 2022 -- Pandemic lockdowns have prompted dozens of factory closures in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, as people continue to leave neighboring Hong Kong in droves amid an ongoing COVID-19 wave.
- Chinese vice premier urges Jilin to realize dynamic-zero target soon with proper use of antigen test Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- The epidemic prevention in Northeast China's Jilin Province is at its toughest moments and the local government must curb the viral spread resolutely and realize the dynamic-zero target as soon as possible, Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan said during her visit to the province on Tuesday, which has seen a record high of over 8,000 cases in half a month. Antigen tests should be properly used to map out the infections, she noted.
- China updates COVID-19 treatment playbook, a further step to a 'scientifically relaxed' anti-epidemic policy, not 'lie flat' Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- China has updated its diagnosis and treatment playbook for COVID-19, including isolating mild cases rather than taking them to hospitals, changing the criteria for patients to be discharged from hospitals and adding antigen testing for detection.
- China's Jilin Province reports 1,456 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- Northeast China's Jilin Province, hit hard by the COVID-19 resurgence, registered 1,456 confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, the local health authority said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 1,860 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese mainland reported 1,860 new locally-transmitted COVID-19 infections over the past day, down from 3,507 on Monday, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- China's Jilin opens 6 temporary hospitals amid COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- China's northeastern Jilin Province, hit hard by the COVID-19 resurgence, has put into use six temporary hospitals, local authorities said Tuesday.
- China will adhere to dynamic zero-COVID policy: health authorities People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- China will adhere to its dynamic zero-COVID policy and strategies to tackle both imported and domestic infections, a Chinese health official said at a press conference on Tuesday.
- Dynamic zero-COVID policy working, NHC says People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- The latest COVID-19 epidemic, which has affected 28 provincial-level regions, is controllable, and China will continue with its dynamic zero-COVID policy, which has proved to be effective against the highly infectious Omicron variant, the National Health Commission said on Tuesday.
- Mainland support boosts confidence in fighting COVID-19 in Hong Kong People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- Hong Kong people are full of gratitude for the central authorities' support for the global financial hub to fight COVID-19, especially under the fifth wave of the epidemic when there is a temporary shortage of supplies and medical staff.
- China Walks Diplomatic Tightrope in Comments About Russian Invasion of Ukraine VOA 16 Mar 2022 -- In the weeks before he ordered the invasion of Ukraine, Russian President Vladimir Putin traveled to China for a meeting with President Xi Jinping in which they signed a comprehensive cooperation agreement aligning their countries in the ongoing struggle for global influence between Western democracies and rising authoritarian states.
- Chinese envoy debunks Ukraine crisis rumors Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- Two days after China's top diplomat Yang Jiechi met with US national security advisor Jake Sullivan in Rome, Chinese Ambassador to the US Qin Gang reiterated China's stance on the Ukraine crisis and hit back at recent rumors and disinformation spread by some US politicians, whose conducts have showed the country's true face of "an empire of lies" by passing the buck to China, despite knowing that the cause of the crisis is the NATO's eastward expansion.
- Another flight carrying Chinese citizens evacuated from arrives safely People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- A temporary flight carrying Chinese citizens evacuated from Ukraine arrived in Dalian, northeast China's Liaoning Province, on Wednesday afternoon.
- China having prior knowledge of, supporting Ukraine war "purely disinformation": Chinese ambassador to U.S. PLA Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- China did not know in advance about Russia's plan for a military operation against Ukraine, nor did Beijing support it, wrote Qin Gang, the Chinese ambassador to the United States, in an opinion piece appearing Tuesday in The Washington Post.
- U.S. can't cover up its responsibility for Ukraine crisis by spreading anti-China disinformation People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- Recently, some politicians and media outlets in the U.S. have repeatedly concocted and spread disinformation in order to smear and defame China over the Ukraine issue. The practice of fabricating rumors to shift the blame has been proven despicable and futile by facts. Such acts can't cover up America's responsibility for the Ukraine crisis. Instead, they have further exposed the country's dangerous intention of stirring up trouble and plunging the world into chaos.
- China calls ship's passage in Philippine waters 'safe, standard' Radio Free Asia 16 Mar 2022 -- A Chinese navy reconnaissance ship's trip through Philippine territorial waters in the Sulu Sea did not break international law, Beijing said in responding to a protest by Manila, which had called it an "illegal incursion."
- Taiwan question is fundamentally different from Ukraine issue: Taiwan Affairs Office Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authority recently has been hyping up the situation in Ukraine and the so-called threat from the Chinese mainland, deliberately increasing cross-Straits confrontation and preaching wars, which exposes their hypocricy, Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council said on Wednesday.
- Taiwan's future cannot rely on "empty promises" from external forces: spokesperson People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- A Chinese mainland spokesperson on Wednesday said that the future of China's Taiwan region, as well as Taiwan compatriots' security and wellbeing, lies in the peaceful development of relations across the Taiwan Strait and national reunification, rather than "empty promises" from external forces.
- China's Anti-Secession Law to continue playing vital role deterring "Taiwan independence": spokesperson People's Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- A Chinese government spokesperson on Wednesday warned that the crackdown on separatist elements advocating "Taiwan independence" will be intensified through the power of law.
- China: Taiwan Using Ukrainian Crisis for 'Political Manipulations' Sputnik 16 Mar 2022 -- Taiwan is taking advantage of the situation in Ukraine for political manipulations, Zhu Fenglian, spokeswoman for the Taiwan Affairs Office of China's State Council, said on Wednesday, adding that such actions are bound to fail.
- Five Individuals Charged Variously with Stalking, Harassing and Spying on U.S. Residents on Behalf of the PRC Secret Police US Dept. of Justice 16 Mar 2022 -- Two complaints were unsealed, and one amended complaint was authorized today in federal court charging five defendants with various crimes related to efforts by the secret police of the People's Republic of China (PRC) to stalk, harass and spy on Chinese nationals residing in Queens, New York, and elsewhere in the United States.
- Justice Department indicts 5 people for allegedly spying for China Radio Free Asia 16 Mar 2022 -- The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Wednesday accused five people, including two Chinese citizens, of attempting to suppress criticism of the Chinese government, including by trying to thwart the campaign of a candidate for Congress.
- US Charges 5 Chinese Nationals With Harassing Chinese in US Critical of Beijing VOA 16 Mar 2022 -- U.S. authorities announced charges Wednesday against five people who were allegedly working for the Chinese secret police to spy on and harass Chinese nationals living in the U.S. who had been critical of Beijing.
- Naval Flight Officer Sentenced to Four Years in Prison for Conspiring to Violate Firearms Law and Lying During Security Clearance Background Investigation US Dept. of Justice 16 Mar 2022 -- A Florida man was sentenced today to four years in prison followed by three years of supervised release for conspiring to violate U.S. firearms laws, making false written statements to federally licensed firearms dealers during the purchase of two firearms, and making false written statements as part of a security clearance background investigation.
- China tests rocket engine for upcoming space lab launches PLA Daily 16 Mar 2022 -- A Chinese high-thrust oxyhydrogen rocket engine has completed a 520-second test in preparation for the upcoming launches of space station lab modules, its maker said on Wednesday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on March 16, 2021 PRC MofA 16 Mar 2022
- China to take strong countermeasures if US enforces sanctions against China while seeking support: Chinese FM Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Wednesday that it will not work for the US when it seeks China's support and cooperation while brandishing the big stick of sanctions against China, urging the US not to undermine China's legitimate rights. If the US insists on going its own way, China will take strong countermeasures, the spokesperson said.
- China willing to push forward Iranian nuclear issue in a direction conducive to regional peace and stability: Chinese FM Global Times 16 Mar 2022 -- China is willing to push forward the Iranian nuclear issue to develop in a direction conducive to regional peace and stability, said Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi over a phone conversation with Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian on Tuesday, according to China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Turkey Turns Down Citizenship for Some Uyghurs VOA 16 Mar 2022 -- Turkish authorities have rejected the citizenship applications of some Uyghur refugees, telling them they were suspected risks to Turkey's "national security" or "social order," some of the Uyghurs told VOA.
- Spanish Newspaper Criticizes China for Pressuring Reporters VOA 16 Mar 2022 -- Tensions increased between one of Spain's largest newspapers and China this month, when police in Beijing visited the home of one of the media outlet's correspondents.
- Report: Saudi Arabia mulls ditching dollar in favor of China's yuan Press TV 16 Mar 2022 -- Saudi Arabia is considering ditching the US dollar in favor of yuan in its oil sales to China, something which stands to profoundly affect the energy market, The Wall Street Journal reports.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list