Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 March 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China's vice premier urges local govts maintain zero-case policy, clear new cases asap Global Times 12 Mar 2022 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan on Saturday urged regions experiencing severe epidemic outbreaks to maintain the country's dynamic zero-case policy to clear COVID-19 cases among the general public in the shortest time possible.
- HK epidemic situation potentially stabilizing, but it's early to say it has passed peak: Lam Global Times 12 Mar 2022 -- The spread of COVID-19 in Hong Kong has stabilized, but a turning point might have not been reached yet, according to Carrie Lam, chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. The city reported around 27,647 new COVID-19 cases on Saturday.
- Mayor removed from position amid rapid COVID-19 increase in Jilin, Northeast China Global Times 12 Mar 2022 -- The mayor of Jilin City, in Northeast China's Jilin Province, has been removed from his position as COVID-19 cases in the city continued to soar.
- Public-use antigen testing could help fight against COVID-19, does not mean an end to zero policy: expert Global Times 12 Mar 2022 -- China's National Medical Products Administration on Saturday approved five COVID-19 antigen self-testing products for sale, which will be used as a supplement to the standard nucleic acid testing to help fight the spread of the virus. Experts said it was part of the nation's adjustment of epidemic prevention measures amid the recent spread of the Omicron variant, and could help shore up the nation's prevention capacity against possible larger scales of imported cases when the international community further reduces restrictions and when China gradually opens up in the future.
- Chinese mainland reports 476 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Friday reported 476 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- Shanghai moves classes online as more COVID-19 cases emerge People's Daily 12 Mar 2022 -- All primary and secondary schools in Shanghai will switch to online classes from Saturday in response to the city's current COVID-19 situation, the municipal education commission said Friday.
- Tianjin reports 37 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Mar 2022 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality reported 37 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and six asymptomatic carriers on Friday, said local authorities on Saturday.
- China's Hebei adds 22 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 12 Mar 2022 -- North China's Hebei Province reported 22 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases on Friday, authorities said Saturday.
- China's top legislature wraps up annual session People's Daily 12 Mar 2022 -- The 13th National People's Congress (NPC), China's top legislature, concluded its fifth session Friday.
- China urges hard evidence from US to clarify bio weapons suspicion in Ukraine Global Times 12 Mar 2022 -- As the Russia-Ukraine conflict continues to unfold, the Russian government claimed that its forces found the US is using laboratories in Ukraine to develop biological weapons, but the US denied such claims and accused Russia of spreading "disinformation." During a UN Security Council meeting on this issue on Friday, China urged the US to be transparent and provide hard evidence to clarify itself, after US blamed China of "spreading disinformation."
- China's first batch of humanitarian aid arrives in Ukraine Global Times 12 Mar 2022 -- China's first batch of humanitarian assistance to Ukraine has arrived in the western Ukrainian city Chernivtsi. The second batch is expected to depart from Beijing on Sat and arrive in Ukraine on Mon.
- Latest China-India border talks consolidate trust from previous round, as both disregard US agitation Global Times 12 Mar 2022 -- The 15th round of China-India corps commander level meeting concluded on Friday, continuing the positive atmosphere since the 14th round of talk, as the two sides reached consensus on agreeing to maintain dialogue via military and diplomatic channels to reach a mutually acceptable resolution to the remaining issues at the earliest time.
- Joint Press Release of the 15th Round ofChina-India Corps Commander Level Meeting India PIB 12 Mar 2022 -- The 15th round China-India Corps Commander Level Meeting was held at Chushul-Moldo border meeting point on the Indian side on 11th March 2022
- Joint Press Release of the 15th Round of China-India Corps Commander Level Meeting PLA Daily 12 Mar 2022 -- The 15th round China-India Corps Commander Level Meeting was held at Chushul-Moldo border meeting point on the Indian side on 11th March 2022. The two sides carried forward their discussions from the previous round held on 12th January 2022 for the resolution of the relevant issues along the LAC in the Western Sector.
- India, China Start New Round of Negotiations Over Ladakh Border Dispute Sputnik 12 Mar 2022 -- China and India have started the 14th round of corps commander-level negotiations to resolve the 20-month border conflict in the Ladakh region, regional media reported on Wednesday.
- US bill that includes ban on maps depicting Taiwan as part of China to become law CNA 12 Mar 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden was expected to quickly sign into law a sweeping US$1.5 trillion spending bill that includes a ban on the use of any maps that "inaccurately" depict Taiwan as part of China by the U.S. State Department and its foreign operations.
- China-Australia Relations Hit New Low Over Military, Politics, Science VOA 12 Mar 2022 -- Australia's already cool relations with China have declined again during the past few weeks over a new spate of incidents, experts in the Asia Pacific say.
- In-orbit construction of China's space station going smoothly PLA Daily 12 Mar 2022 -- Construction work on the core module of China's Tiangong space station is proceeding steadily, the China Manned Space Agency (CMSA) said on Friday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list