Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
08 March 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing reports 7 new local cases, upholds 'dynamic zero-COVID' policy to curb the virus' spread Global Times 08 Mar 2022 -- Beijing reported seven local COVID-19 cases from Monday to 4 pm Tuesday, and will uphold its dynamic zero-case policy to curb the virus' spread with the fastest, most precise prevention and control measures, as imported cases from abroad and outside Beijing remain the biggest risk of the epidemic in the capital, the local authorities said on Tuesday.
- HKSAR should uphold 'dynamic zero' policy to reduce severe cases and deaths as priority: top Chinese health expert Global Times 08 Mar 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) should uphold its "dynamic zero infection" policy with a phased approach and take measures as a priority to reduce COVID-19 infections, severe cases, and deaths with centralized medical resources, said Liang Wannian, head of the COVID-19 response expert panel under the National Health Commission.
- Another 4.8 mln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 08 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese mainland saw another 4.8 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered on Monday, according to the National Health Commission's Tuesday report. It added that the total number of doses administered has reached over 3.165 billion.
- Hong Kong COVID-19 Death Rate Is Worst in World VOA 08 Mar 2022 -- Hong Kong holds the world's worst death rate for COVID-19, though the worst wave of the coronavirus has peaked, according to health experts.
- Chinese mainland reports 175 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 175 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- COVID-19 control top priority for Hong Kong: vice premier People's Daily 08 Mar 2022 -- The top priority for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) at the moment is to make all-out efforts to prevent and control the COVID-19 epidemic, Chinese Vice Premier Han Zheng said Monday.
- HKSAR gov't launches platform for submitting COVID-19 rapid test results People's Daily 08 Mar 2022 -- The Department of Health of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government on Monday launched an online platform for the submission of positive COVID-19 rapid test results.
- Chinese legislator urges efficient use of PLA strategic airlift, installing logistics support devices at civil airports Global Times 08 Mar 2022 -- China should take advantage of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force's growing fleet of Y-20 strategic transport aircraft by deploying them in a centralized and highly efficient way, and preinstall related logistics support equipment and devices across the country's civil airports for the Y-20, a Chinese legislator suggested at the ongoing two sessions in Beijing.
- Y-20 pilot suggests support equipment installed in civil aviation airports PLA Daily 08 Mar 2022 -- Feng Wei, a Y-20 pilot, is the deputy commander of an aviation regiment of the air force under the PLA Western Theater Command. As a deputy to the 13th National People's Congress (NPC), he suggested that civil aviation airports could pre-install support facilities for military aircraft.
- Xi stresses running military in accordance with law People's Daily 08 Mar 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday stressed running the military in accordance with the law and enhancing the rule of law in national defense and military building.
- Two new Chinese carrier rockets to make maiden flight this year amid growing demand for commercial launches Global Times 08 Mar 2022 -- Following the launch of China's new-generation Long March-8 carrier rocket, which successfully sent 22 commercial satellites into preset orbits in one go, China's top rocket manufacturer revealed to the Global Times on Tuesday that apart from the Long March-8, other types of rockets will also be rolled out this year for more commercial spaceflights. These include the Long March-11 and the Smart Dragon-3, which is expected to make maiden flight in September 2022. Both types are solid-propellant rockets capable of seaborne launches.
- China receives data from land observation satellite PLA Daily 08 Mar 2022 -- China has received the first batch of data from its newly launched land observation satellite, scientists in charge of the spacecraft said Tuesday.
- Can China Help Bring Russia To The Negotiating Table? RFE/RL 08 Mar 2022 -- A flurry of high-stakes diplomacy -- with growing calls by Western officials for China to use its influence to pressure Russia to end its war in Ukraine -- has shifted the focus on Beijing's role as a potential mediator in the crisis.
- China promotes cooperation, dialogue as global uncertainties ascend People's Daily 08 Mar 2022 -- In the face of profound changes unseen in a century, China on Monday called on countries in the world to stay committed to ceasing conflicts through negotiation, resolving disputes through dialogue, and increasing mutual trust through cooperation.
- China's top political advisory body holds 2nd plenary meeting of annual session People's Daily 08 Mar 2022 -- China's top political advisory body on Monday morning held its second plenary meeting of the annual session.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on March 8, 2022 PRC MofA 08 Mar 2022
- China vows legislation focus on tackling foreign interference Global Times 08 Mar 2022 -- China's top legislature vowed to enrich the country's legal toolkit and develop a more comprehensive system of laws and regulations concerning foreign affairs in 2022, after it passed milestone laws and regulations including the Anti-Foreign Sanctions Law last year and adopted necessary countermeasures against unjustified extraterritorial application of foreign legislation amid US-led bullying sanctions.
- DOD Leaders Say Russia, China Provide Challenges to National Security DoD News 08 Mar 2022 -- Every operational plan in the Defense Department rests on an assumption that strategic deterrence is holding, and in particular, that nuclear deterrence is holding, the commander of U.S. Strategic Command said.
- U.S. Intel Officials Detail Threats From China, Russia DoD News 08 Mar 2022 -- Avril Haines, the director of National Intelligence, discussed the intelligence community's assessment of China and Russia â€” America's strategic competitors â€” during testimony before Congress this morning.
- China 'prepared for' S.Korea power shift Global Times 08 Mar 2022 -- South Korea's presidential election is expected to conclude on Wednesday, and the result could significantly impact China-South Korea ties in the coming years, for which China will remain prepared.
- HK legislators, political advisors propose strengthening patriotic education Global Times 08 Mar 2022 -- Several Hong Kong legislators and political advisors to the National People's Congress (NPC) and political advisors to the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) have proposed further strengthening patriotic education in Hong Kong at the ongoing two sessions, with the Special Administrative Region (SAR) seeing the 25th anniversary of its return to China this year.
- Court cases signal shift from 're-education' to prison for Uyghurs Radio Free Asia 08 Mar 2022 -- Two reports released by officials in Xinjiang â€” one by the region's highest court, the other by a group of prosecutors â€” show China's strategy for constraining the Uyghur population is shifting from so-called "re-education camps" to prison.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list