Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
02 March 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- 1st mainland-HK freight train carrying anti-epidemic supplies launched Global Times 02 Mar 2022 -- The first freight train from the Chinese mainland to Hong Kong carrying anti-epidemic supplies, including more than 1.1million COVID-19 testing kits and 10,000 protective garments, was launched on Wednesday, providing aid to the city amid rising infections and panic purchase among residents.
- Hong Kong won't be locked down, Lam reiterates amid record daily infection high Global Times 02 Mar 2022 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Carrie Lam reiterated on Wednesday that Hong Kong will not have a citywide lockdown and the mass testing will take into account the local situation, refuting the circulating rumor that there will be a "full lockdown."
- Over 3.13 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- The number of COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on the Chinese mainland grew by around 5.75 million from the previous day to reach over 3.13 billion on Tuesday, data from the National Health Commission showed Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 71 new local COVID-19 cases Tuesday People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported 71 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said on Wednesday.
- New hospital to help HK battle COVID People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- A makeshift hospital in Tsing Yi, Hong Kong for COVID-19 patients began operation on Tuesday after it was handed over to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government on the same day.
- Mainland-aided isolation facility in Hong Kong starts admitting COVID-19 patients People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- A newly built community isolation facility (CIF) started admitting its first batch of COVID-19 patients in Hong Kong on Tuesday evening.
- China Positions Itself as Mediator Between Russia, Ukraine VOA 02 Mar 2022 -- China is positioning itself as a mediator between war-divided Russia and Ukraine so as to be seen as a global leader and earn points in the West, analysts say.
- Chinese, Ukrainian FMs hold phone talks over Ukrainian situation Global Times 02 Mar 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi held a phone conversation at request with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba on Tuesday.
- Ukraine Invasion Sparks Controversial Commentary on Chinese Social Media VOA 02 Mar 2022 -- Since Russia's invasion of Ukraine last week, Chinese social media, usually a controlled space, is rife with conflicting comments about Ukraine. Censors have deleted thousands of posts â€” many containing vulgar sexual remarks about Ukrainian women â€” along with the accounts from which they originated.
- Mainland slams DPP seeking "Taiwan independence" by banking on external forces People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- A mainland spokesperson on Tuesday slammed Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authority for banking on external forces to embolden itself in seeking "Taiwan independence," saying such acts would only hasten its destruction.
- China's space tracking ship sails for Indian Ocean missions PLA Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- China's tracking vessel Yuanwang-6 departed Tuesday from its homeport in east China's Jiangsu Province for a new round of monitoring missions in the Indian Ocean.
- China's 1st amphibious assault ship reaches initial operating capability, to make world tour Global Times 02 Mar 2022 -- China's first Type 075 amphibious assault ship, the Hainan, has reached initial operating capability, and the vessel will visit harbors and ports all over the world and provide an outstanding image for the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy, the warship's captain told the state broadcaster.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on March 2, 2022 PRC MofA 02 Mar 2022
- One year after mass jailings, Hong Kong remembers the 47 Radio Free Asia 02 Mar 2022 -- One year after dozens of opposition politicians and pro-democracy activists were put behind bars for "subversion" after taking part in a democratic primary in the summer of 2020, Hongkongers in exile say the mass arrests, which were widely condemned by the international community, struck a "devastating blow" to the city.
- Commissioner's office of Chinese foreign ministry in HKSAR slams remarks backing anti-China elements People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- The spokesperson for the Office of the Commissioner of the Foreign Affairs Ministry of China in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Tuesday strongly disapproved and firmly rejected the statement of the Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China and misleading remarks of a few American politicians for making a case for anti-China elements in Hong Kong.
- China's property market is stabilizing, to bolster financial sector: regulator Global Times 02 Mar 2022 -- A senior Chinese government official signaled that price fluctuation in the domestic property market is generating opportunities for the financial sector, adding the authorities will not approve of excessive fluctuation in the sector, according to a press conference held by the State Council Information Office on Wednesday.
- China issues draft regulations for online pop-up news Global Times 02 Mar 2022 -- China's cyberspace regulator issued draft regulations on Wednesday that require online platforms to hold a license to publish pop-up news on the internet, in the latest effort by regulators to rein in online irregularities.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list