Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
25 February 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Thousands Could Die From COVID in Hong Kong, Study Shows VOA 25 Feb 2022 -- Hong Kong's fifth wave of coronavirus could see thousands of deaths, a new study said.
- China's Hubei reports 2 local confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported two new locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases on Thursday, the provincial health commission said Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 82 new local COVID-19 cases Thursday People's Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported 82 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said on Friday.
- HKSAR introduces new emergency regulation providing legal basis for central govt's anti-epidemic aid amid rising cases Global Times 25 Feb 2022 -- The government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) invoked a new emergency regulation on Thursday to provide the legal basis for anti-epidemic measures, supported by China's central government, amid the city's worsening COVID-19 outbreak. It is the second regulation made under Hong Kong's Emergency Regulations Ordinance after the 2019 face covering ban but in a wider scale.
- HKSAR government eases legal requirements to fully leverage mainland support against COVID-19 People's Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government on Thursday said it has relaxed legal requirements on licensing, registration and application, among others, in order to fully leverage the mainland support in combating the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Carrie Lam directs HKSAR gov't departments to pull together against COVID-19 People's Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Chief Executive Carrie Lam has directed all HKSAR government departments to work together to combat the ongoing fifth wave of the COVID-19 epidemic, the Information Services Department said here on Thursday.
- North China city reports 22 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- Hohhot, the capital city of north China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, reported 22 new locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases between midnight on Wednesday and 2 p.m. Thursday, according to a press conference.
- China's Suzhou reports one new confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- The eastern Chinese city of Suzhou in Jiangsu Province reported one confirmed COVID-19 case in the first 15 hours of Thursday.
- China decries Russia sanctions as 'illegal'; urges parties to show restraint Press TV 25 Feb 2022 -- China has denounced sanctions imposed by the Western countries against Russia over the military operation in Ukraine as "illegal", blaming Washington for escalating tensions between the two former Soviet neighbors.
- US: China Risks Credibility by Backing Russia VOA 25 Feb 2022 -- China's failure to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine is undermining its own long-standing defense of sovereignty and territorial integrity on the world stage, according to U.S. officials and experts.
- China opposes any act of inciting war: FM spokesperson People's Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- China opposes any act of inciting war and has taken a responsible attitude from the very beginning to persuade all parties not to escalate tensions and incite war, a foreign ministry spokesperson said on Thursday.
- War Puts Billions of Dollars in Ukraine-China Trade at Risk VOA 25 Feb 2022 -- Prolonged fighting with Russia puts at risk billions of dollars in economic ties between the target country, Ukraine, and its top trading partner, China, experts say.
- 12th China-EU defense and security policy dialogue held via video link PLA Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- The 12th China-EU dialogue on defense and security policy was held via video link on February 25.
- Chinese Navy completes delivering disaster relief supplies to Tonga PLA Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- Amphibious dock landing ship Wuzhishan and comprehensive supply ship Chaganhu attached to the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy departed from the port of Nuku'alofa on the morning of February 23, 2022, after delivering disaster relief supplies to Tonga. Tongan government officials, staff of the Chinese Embassy in Tonga and overseas Chinese representatives came to the pier to see off the ships.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on February 25, 2022 PRC MofA 25 Feb 2022
- China urges U.S. to immediately cease malicious cyber activities People's Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- China on Thursday urged the United States to offer an explanation for and put an immediate end to its malicious cyber activities, vowing to take necessary measures to safeguard its cybersecurity and its own interests.
- Telephone conversation with President of China Xi Jinping President of Russia 25 Feb 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the People's Republic of China Xi Jinping.
- Chinese, Russian presidents hold phone conversation PLA Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, on Friday held a phone conversation.
- China to Host Afghanistan's Neighbors to Review Post-Taliban Situation VOA 25 Feb 2022 -- Pakistan said Friday foreign ministers of six immediate neighbors of Afghanistan will gather in China next month to discuss economic and humanitarian upheavals facing the Taliban-ruled, conflict-torn country.
- Will Ukraine invasion embolden China in the Indo-Pacific? Radio Free Asia 25 Feb 2022 -- Eyes are on China after Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine to see if Beijing would make an opportunistic move in the Indo-Pacific, with analysts saying Beijing is watching developments in Ukraine "intently" before making any decision.
- Britain to Allow More Hong Kongers to Settle Under Lifeboat Plan VOA 25 Feb 2022 -- The British government has decided to expand a program allowing some Hong Kong residents to settle in the U.K., providing a potential lifeboat for thousands of young people seeking to escape increasingly repressive Chinese rule in the former British colony.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list