Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 February 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Wuhan tests over 720,000 residents as 23 COVID-19 infections reported in three days Global Times 23 Feb 2022 -- Wuhan tested more than 720,000 residents after a latest outbreak registered a total of 23 COVID-19 cases in three days.
- HKSAR gov't unveils huge budget to fight COVID-19 People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government on Wednesday said it aims to direct more than 54 billion Hong Kong dollars (about 7 billion U.S. dollars) to the financial hub's anti-COVID-19 work in the new financial year.
- HK to test all residents three times for coronavirus in March People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- Hong Kong will launch a massive program in March to test every resident three times for COVID-19 in an effort to ferret out any infections in the community after the special administrative region reported 6,211 confirmed infections and 39 deaths on Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 90 new local COVID-19 cases Tuesday People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported 90 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said on Wednesday.
- Hong Kong to Begin Mandatory Coronavirus Testing of All Citizens Beginning Next Month VOA 23 Feb 2022 -- Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam says the semi-autonomous Chinese city will begin mandatory COVID-19 testing of its 7.5 million people next month.
- Why China emphasizes adherence to dynamic zero-COVID approach People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- "We are on the way, no matter rain or shine" -- Zhou Peijing, a nurse from the Maternity and Child Health Care Hospital in south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, posted on her social media handle, as she left for Baise, a city with a population of over 3.5 million that neighbors Vietnam, earlier this month.
- Mobile cabin COVID-19 hospitals supported by mainland being constructed in Hong Kong People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- The construction of four temporary community isolation and treatment facilities, or mobile cabin hospitals, for COVID-19 patients, began on Tuesday in Hong Kong with the support of the central government.
- China says US creating 'fear and panic' over Ukraine Press TV 23 Feb 2022 -- China says the United States is creating "fear and panic" over the Ukraine crisis, calling on the Biden administration to immediately start the talks for de-escalation.
- China bans online criticism of Russia, blames US for fueling Ukraine 'tensions' Radio Free Asia 23 Feb 2022 -- Internet censors in China have ordered news outlets and social media accounts to avoid posting anything critical of Russia or favorable to NATO, after Russia began moving troops across the border into Ukraine, prompting a flurry of international sanctions against the country's leaders.
- Putin's Escalation In Ukraine Leaves China Walking A Diplomatic Tightrope RFE/RL 23 Feb 2022 -- Though Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese leader Xi Jinping declared having a "no limits" partnership at a meeting in Beijing on February 4, the Kremlin's massive military buildup around Ukraine and threat to invade is testing Moscow-Beijing ties.
- China handles complex Ukraine crisis with caution, principle Global Times 22 Feb 2022 -- The Ukraine crisis sees new change as Russia has decided to recognize two regions in eastern Ukraine as "independent and sovereign states," and the UN Security Council has met on the issue, with China calling on all parties to continue dialogue and consultations and seek reasonable solutions.
- Chinese Foreign Minister calls on all parties on Ukraine issue to remain restrained, resolving disputes through peaceful means Global Times 22 Feb 2022 -- China is concerned about the evolution of the situation in Ukraine and China's position on the Ukraine issue is consistent, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi told US Secretary of State Antony Blinken in a phone call upon request on Tuesday. The legitimate security concerns of any country should be respected, and the purposes and principles of the UN Charter should be upheld, Wang said.
- Chinese FM calls on all parties to remain calm, resolve Ukraine issue through dialogue Global Times 22 Feb 2022 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry on Tuesday called on all parties on the Ukraine issue to remain calm, ease tensions and resolve differences through dialogue and negotiation.
- Chinese envoy urges diplomacy to resolve Ukraine issue People's Daily 22 Feb 2022 -- China's permanent representative to the United Nations, Zhang Jun, on Monday called on all parties concerned to seek "reasonable solutions" to the Ukraine issue.
- Russia-Ukraine Crisis Will Put Economic Strain On Kyrgyzstan, And China Could Benefit RFE/RL 23 Feb 2022 -- The Western sanctions applied against Russia in an effort to prevent an invasion of neighboring Ukraine will have a trickle-down effect on many smaller countries with close economic ties to Moscow, experts say.
- EU steps up engagement with Indo-Pacific states, touts rule of law Radio Free Asia 23 Feb 2022 -- The European Union has stepped up its strategic engagement with the Indo-Pacific by convening an inaugural meeting with the region's top diplomats and then affirming the bloc's commitment to freedom of navigation and international law - an apparent rebuke of China.
- DPP's Taiwan-Ukraine comparison self-indulging: mainland official Global Times 23 Feb 2022 -- The secessionist Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) in Taiwan is self-indulging in expressing so-called empathy for Ukraine's situation, which hides the DPP's malicious intent to "internationalize" the Taiwan question, a purely internal affair, and hype anti-mainland sentiments on the island, mainland authorities said Wednesday.
- DPP's so-called sympathy for Ukraine 'self-serving': spokesperson Global Times 23 Feb 2022 -- The secessionist DPP authority's so-called "sympathy" for Ukraine's situation is 'self-serving,' Ma Xiaoguang, spokesperson for the Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council, commented on Wednesday.
- Chinese Foreign Ministry: Taiwan Is 'Not Ukraine' RFE/RL 23 Feb 2022 -- China's Foreign Ministry has said that Taiwan is "not Ukraine" and has always been a part of China, following Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen's call to bolster vigilance in the face of the territorial crisis in Eastern Europe.
- Taiwan's DPP urged to stop obstructing Kinmen-Xiamen ferry links People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- A State Council Taiwan Affairs Office spokesperson on Wednesday urged Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authority to stop obstructing ferry links between Kinmen and Xiamen.
- PLA Army and Air Force troops carry out joint parachute jump training over sea PLA Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- Recently, the PLA Army Special Operations Academy joined hands with an air force unit to carry out parachute jump training over the sea. The fully armed special operations soldiers took helicopters and parachuted over the designated sea area.
- PLA Navy's corvette transfers to coast guard 'reflect development of both forces' Global Times 23 Feb 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy is reportedly transferring a batch of Type 056 corvettes to the China Coast Guard, with the ships now undergoing retrofitting work. Analysts said on Wednesday that this reflects that the navy has developed to a stage where it no longer needs so many coastal defense vessels, and the coast guard will receive a significant power boost in safeguarding key sea regions, islands and reefs.
- PLA vessels to wrap up relief supplies delivery to Tonga Global Times 23 Feb 2022 -- After more than a week's intensive unloading work, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy vessels carrying disaster relief supplies are about to wrap up the delivery mission to Tonga, as they have started to provide additional fresh water to ease the high local demand.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on February 23, 2022 PRC MofA 23 Feb 2022
- US called on to match its words with action in ties People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- China warned the United States on Tuesday not to bring the two countries to a point of full confrontation as it urged the US to return bilateral ties to sound and stable development through concrete actions.
- China Expands Influence in Central America VOA 23 Feb 2022 -- With a library here, a power station there, China is using aid and investment to increase its presence in Central America, posing a challenge to the United States' 2-century-old diplomatic dominance in the region.
- Only small step till final conclusion of Vienna talks: Chinese official IRNA 23 Feb 2022 -- The head of the Chinese delegation in the ongoing nuclear talks in Vienna in an interview with IRNA commented on the latest situation of negotiations which focuses on lifting anti-Iran sanctions and said the talks are in the final stage.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list