Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
18 February 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Hong Kong Health Experts Call for Home Isolation as Omicron Cases Overwhelm Hospitals VOA 18 Feb 2022 -- Hong Kong health experts on Friday said the city needs to change its pandemic strategies to cope with the rapidly increasing number of COVID-19 cases.
- 6.23 million more COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 18 Feb 2022 -- The number of COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on the Chinese mainland grew by around 6.23 million on Thursday, with the total number now exceeding 3.06 billion, data from the National Health Commission showed Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 40 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 18 Feb 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported 40 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said on Friday.
- NHC fully supports Hong Kong in countering COVID-19 outbreak People's Daily 18 Feb 2022 -- China's National Health Commission (NHC) on Thursday said it will continue fully supporting the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government and meet its demands in containing the current COVID-19 outbreak.
- HKSAR gov't employees fully committed to anti-epidemic efforts: spokesperson People's Daily 18 Feb 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Thursday that all its employees should accord top priority to fight against the epidemic as a team serving the people of Hong Kong.
- China warns Tibetan monks ahead of March anniversaries Radio Free Asia 18 Feb 2022 -- A top Chinese official in Tibet visited monasteries in and near the Tibetan capital Lhasa this week to warn monks against behavior considered disloyal to the ruling Chinese Communist Party, state media sources said.
- China Sets 5-Year Commercial, Scientific Plans for Space VOA 18 Feb 2022 -- A Chinese rocket, according to astronomers, is expected to crash into the moon on March 4. It is the latest example of China's presence in space. News of the predicted crash comes after Beijing released a development blueprint for satellite improvements, deep-space exploration and putting more people in orbit.
- Taiwan welcomes criticism of China's 'saber-rattling' from European Parliament Radio Free Asia 18 Feb 2022 -- Taiwan on Friday welcomed the passage of a foreign policy report through the European Parliament hitting out at China's military "saber-rattling" near the democratic island and its support for the will of its 23 million citizens.
- 40th Chinese naval escort taskforce completes first escort mission PLA Daily 18 Feb 2022 -- The guided-missile destroyer Hohhot (Hull 161) of the 40th Chinese naval escort taskforce escorted a Dutch bulk carrier to the safe sea area on February 14, local time.
- China establishes office to promote exports of the FC-31 stealth fighter Global Times 18 Feb 2022 -- China has established an office dedicated to promoting the country's independently developed FC-31 stealth fighter jet on the international market in an effort by the aircraft's manufacturer to actively find customers.
- PLA's Ka-28 chopper appears near Taiwan, 'indicates joint operation' Global Times 18 Feb 2022 -- A Ka-28 anti-submarine helicopter of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) was spotted for the first time near the island of Taiwan on Wednesday, apparently operating from a warship sailing in the region, as Chinese mainland experts said Thursday that the PLA's routine drills near Taiwan likely often feature joint operations of aircraft and vessels, but the defense authority on the island only reported aircraft but failed to track vessels.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on February 18, 2022 PRC MofA 18 Feb 2022
- Why a Russian Invasion of Ukraine Would Hurt China, Too VOA 18 Feb 2022 -- China's deepening ties with Russia will come with heavy geopolitical and economic consequences should the Ukraine crisis escalate, analysts say.
- Spreading false information and hyping potential Russian invasion of Ukraine only adds obstacles to dialogue: Chinese FM Global Times 18 Feb 2022 -- Spreading false information and creating a tense atmosphere won't help solve the Ukraine crisis, while advocating for group confrontation and wielding the sanctions stick will only add obstacles to dialogue and negotiation, China's Foreign Ministry commented on the US' hyping of a potential Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- Hong Kong postpones leadership election amid rising COVID-19 wave Radio Free Asia 18 Feb 2022 -- Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam on Friday announced the postponement of elections for the city's top job after ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leader Xi Jinping told her government to throw all of its resources at pursuing a "zero-COVID" strategy, as a wave of the omicron variant of COVID-19 infections started to take its toll.
- HK postpones Chief Executive Election amid epidemic, strives to meet mass testing, quarantine demands with mainland aid Global Times 18 Feb 2022 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) reported more than 3,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases and another 7,600 cases with positive tests on Friday, pushing the total number of infections in the city to 50,000, which is approaching the accumulated confirmed cases in Wuhan - the first Chinese city to experience a coronavirus outbreak - which led to the postponement of the Chief Executive Election, and is estimated to be put under control after three months.
- HKSAR postpones Chief Executive Election to May, prepares for mass nucleic tests Global Times 18 Feb 2022 -- By citing the Emergency Regulations Ordinance, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Executive Council agreed to postpone the Chief Executive Election, which was originally scheduled for March 27, to May 8 as the Chinese city fights the COVID-19 outbreak, Carrie Lam, chief executive of the HKSAR government, announced on Friday.
- UN Chief 'Determined' Human Rights Chief Visit Xinjiang VOA 18 Feb 2022 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said Friday he is "determined" that his human rights chief should conduct a "credible" visit to China's semi-autonomous Xinjiang province, where ethnic Uyghur and Turkic Muslim minorities live.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list