Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
10 February 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Fresh COVID surge engulfs HK's medical system Global Times 10 Feb 2022 -- Hong Kong sounded the alarm with another 986 COVID-19 infections registered on Thursday, after the city reported a four-digit daily tally on Wednesday for the first time, which threatens to engulf the city's medical system.
- Hong Kong Reports Record Spike in COVID Cases VOA 10 Feb 2022 -- The omicron variant of the coronavirus has sparked Hong Kong's fifth wave of COVID-19 cases in recent weeks, with new restrictions being implemented Thursday by Chief Executive Carrie Lam.
- Chinese mainland reports 7 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Feb 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday recorded seven locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, all reported in Guangxi, the National Health Commission said on Thursday.
- Hungarian FM: Russian, Chinese COVID-19 vaccines effective and safe People's Daily 10 Feb 2022 -- Russian and Chinese vaccines against COVID-19 are effective and safe, Hungarian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade Peter Szijjarto said on Wednesday.
- China tightens controls in Tibetan areas during Beijing Olympics Radio Free Asia 10 Feb 2022 -- Authorities have ramped up security controls in Tibetan areas of western China during the Beijing Winter Olympics, with police monitoring residents closely to block communications with Tibetans living in exile, sources in the region say.
- PLA holds simultaneous drills after US, Japan exercise near Taiwan island Global Times 10 Feb 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) recently conducted simultaneous exercises in three major sea regions in a move experts said on Thursday displayed the Chinese military's combat preparedness after the US and Japan held massive, troublemaking exercises along the first island chain near the island of Taiwan as the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics started.
- Regular appearances of improved J-11B fighter indicate massive upgrade program: analysts Global Times 10 Feb 2022 -- The upgraded version of China's J-11B fighter jet, characterized by its white radar dome compared with the original version's black one, has featured in several recent official reports, with analysts saying that this could be an indication that more original J-11Bs will be upgraded to the latest variant in the near future.
- Taiwan calls on world to back Lithuania after latest Beijing sanctions CNA 10 Feb 2022 -- Taiwan on Thursday called on the world to stand in solidarity with Lithuania following China's suspension of beef imports from the Baltic state over its closer ties with Taipei.
- Lithuania should adhere to one-China principle and reflect on human rights abuses: Foreign Ministry Global Times 10 Feb 2022 -- Lithuania should adhere to the one-China principle and reflect on its human rights abuses, a spokesperson from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Thursday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on February 10, 2022 PRC MofA 10 Feb 2022
- China, Russia accelerate energy cooperation amid deepened interdependency of two economies Global Times 10 Feb 2022 -- New energy cooperation projects are being carried out in full swing between China and Russia as the interdependency of the two economies has been strengthened following the meeting of the countries' top leaders during the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics.
- Red Flags: Chinese Project In Serbia Raises Familiar Concerns About Beijing's Balkan Investments RFE/RL 10 Feb 2022 -- Questions over a Chinese contract to build a multimillion-dollar sewer system in a Serbian city has raised flags among activists who say it is a microcosm of how Belgrade deals with Chinese entities.
- China's Loans to Sub-Saharan Africa Outweigh Those of Western Nations VOA 10 Feb 2022 -- Chinese banks provided more loans to fund developmental projects in sub-Saharan Africa than some of the world's greatest economies combined from 2007 to 2020, according to a new study.
- HKSAR gov't condemns foreign entities' allegations on freedoms of press, speech in Hong Kong People's Daily 10 Feb 2022 -- The government of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Wednesday strongly condemned a totally erroneous statement issued by the British government in the name of a number of foreign entities under the so-called "Media Freedom Coalition" concerning the implementation of the national security law in Hong Kong.
- Chinese war film makes box office record as cultural confidence rises Global Times 10 Feb 2022 -- The Chinese war film The Battle at Lake Changjin II: Water Gate Bridge grossed more than 3 billion yuan ($471 million) as of Thursday, making the movie series The Battle at Lake Changjin about a historic military victory of China in the War to Resist US Aggression and Aid Korea (1950-53) the box office champion in China.
- China's central bank tightens regulation on cash withdrawal and deposit targeting money laundry Global Times 10 Feb 2022 -- China's central bank said Wednesday that normal cash deposits and withdrawals will not be affected, in response to the recent regulation that requires individuals to validate their identity when making a cash withdrawal or deposit on a single transaction of 50,000 yuan ($7,860) or more.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list