Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
09 February 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Hong Kong to ban public gatherings, mandate vaccine passes for stores, eateries Radio Free Asia 09 Feb 2022 -- Authorities in Hong Kong on Wednesday announced a ban on public gatherings of more than two people, with the "LeaveHomeSafe" tracker app required to get into supermarkets, public markets, hair salons and places of worship, prompting long lines to form on the streets as people rushed to get a haircut before the restrictions took effect.
- Vietnamese military receives 2nd batch of Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines from PLA PLA Daily 09 Feb 2022 -- The Vietnamese Ministry of National Defense has received the second batch of Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine presented by the People's Liberation Army (PLA) of China.
- China's defense ministry provides medical supplies to Indonesian counterpart PLA Daily 09 Feb 2022 -- To implement Chinese President Xi Jinping's vision of building a community of common health for mankind and promote the international cooperation against the epidemic, as approved by China's Central Military Commission, a batch of COVID-19 prevention and control supplies assisted by the Chinese Ministry of National Defense to Indonesia's Defense Ministry was delivered to the Indonesian side on February 9, 2022.
- No sign of virus transmission in the closed loop; attendance of Beijing 2022 to be increased based on demand: organizing committee Global Times 09 Feb 2022 -- The Beijing Organising Committee for the 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games announced during a press conference on Tuesday that the overall situation of epidemic prevention and control in the closed loop is in good status and the next step will be to increase attendance according to demand.
- "Zero COVID-19" strategy best for Hong Kong's current situation: Carrie Lam People's Daily 09 Feb 2022 -- Carrie Lam, chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), said on Tuesday that "zero COVID-19" is the best strategy for Hong Kong's current anti-epidemic situation.
- China slams US recent approval of arms sale to Taiwan PLA Daily 09 Feb 2022 -- "The move by the United States grossly interferes in China's internal affairs and undermines the relations of the two countries," said Chinese Defense Spokesperson Senior Colonel Wu Qian on Wednesday when responding to the statement made by the Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) of the US Department of Defense on Feb. 7 saying that the US has approved a $100 million sale of the Patriot missile defense system and its supporting services to Taiwan.
- Chinese Military Vows to Thwart Foreign Meddling as US Sells $100Mln Worth of Arms to Taiwan Sputnik 09 Feb 2022 -- Beijing previously urged Washington to stop meddling in China's internal affairs, and pledged to take all the necessary actions to protect its sovereignty.
- China censures $100-million US arms sale deal with Chinese Taipei Press TV 09 Feb 2022 -- China's Defense Ministry has denounced a $100-million US arms sale to Chinese Taipei.
- DPP arms deals would only push Taiwan towards disaster: spokesperson People's Daily 09 Feb 2022 -- A Chinese mainland spokesperson on Tuesday lashed out at Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authority over its potential purchase of arms from the United States, saying that such a provocative action would only "push Taiwan towards disaster."
- China urges U.S. to halt arms sale to Taiwan: spokesperson People's Daily 09 Feb 2022 -- China firmly opposes and strongly condemns the United States' plan for the sale of arms worth 100 million U.S. dollars to Taiwan and urges its immediate cancellation, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Tuesday.
- China Calls on US to Stop Sanctioning North Korea Sputnik 09 Feb 2022 -- The United States needs to stop imposing endless sanctions and putting pressure on North Korea if they are sincerely concerned about the well-being of the North Korean people, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said on Wednesday.
- China Suspected of Cyberattacks Targeting US Organizations VOA 09 Feb 2022 -- Media giant News Corp is investigating a cyberattack that has accessed the email and documents of some of its employees and journalists.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on February 9, 2022 PRC MofA 09 Feb 2022
- China rejects 'coercion' accusation as Lithuanian FM hypes it in Australia Global Times 09 Feb 2022 -- While hyping the "coercion" accusation against China, Lithuania is anxiously seeking political support from countries around China and trying to draw more countries into its anti-China clique during its Foreign Minister's visit to Singapore and Australia. However, analysts said its plans are doomed as China's market and industrial chain influence are irreplaceable and its attempts to continue provocation against China's sovereignty is meeting with increasing opposition.
- Hong Kong says criticism of its media crackdown 'erroneous,' 'opinionated' Radio Free Asia 09 Feb 2022 -- Hong Kong's government on Wednesday "strongly condemned" criticism from 21 governments of its crackdown on independent media under the national security law.
- Draft Article 23 bill to be submitted to HKSAR's LegCo by year-end: security chief People's Daily 09 Feb 2022 -- The draft bill for legislation in accordance with Article 23 of the Basic Law of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) is expected to be submitted to the HKSAR's Legislative Council (LegCo) for deliberation by the end of this year, a senior official said Tuesday.
- Rare-earth supplies in China to remain tight amid surging prices Global Times 09 Feb 2022 -- Hot demand for rare-earth metals used in electric vehicles (EVs) and disrupted rare-earth imports from Myanmar have together sent the prices of the scarce materials in China up about 14 percent so far in 2022, with tight supplies.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list