Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
27 January 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- E.China's Zhejiang COVID-19 surge caused by Omicron variant, independent from earlier outbreaks Global Times 27 Jan 2022 -- The epidemic flare-up in East China's Zhejiang Province, which has registered 14 local confirmed cases in two days, is an independent outbreak caused by the Omicron variant, health authorities said on Thursday. Imported materials from the food company where most infections occurred were also found with the variant in multiple samples.
- China's COVID-19 'Health Code' app reaps huge datasets on population Radio Free Asia 27 Jan 2022 -- China's "Health Code" app, that tracks the movements and immune status of COVID-19 cases and contacts, is reaping unprecedented amounts of data on the country's population, including residents of Hong Kong and Macau.
- Nearly 2.98 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 27 Jan 2022 -- Nearly 2.98 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Tuesday, data from the National Health Commission showed Wednesday.
- China opposes any third party's interference in China-India border issue: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 27 Jan 2022 -- The China-India border issue is a matter between the two countries, and both sides oppose the interference from a third party, said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, a spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense, at a regular press conference on Thursday.
- China Warns Any Third Party Against Interfering in Border Dispute With India Sputnik 27 Jan 2022 -- Military commanders from India and China have held a meeting on 12 January to ease tensions that erupted over border infrastructure in April 2020. The two sides hope for a further reduction in military assets in Eastern Ladakh in the next round of military talks.
- Renounce Dalai Lama to get jobs, China tells Tibetans Radio Free Asia 27 Jan 2022 -- Tibetans looking for work in their region's state sector must first renounce all ties to Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama as a condition of employment, an official Chinese announcement says.
- PLA ready for US provocations during Beijing Winter Olympics, holds drills in Xisha Islands Global Times 27 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) is ready to deal with any US military provocations against China that could take place during the Beijing Winter Olympic Games which will kick off on February 4, the Chinese Defense Ministry said on Thursday.
- China fully prepared for any external provocation in Winter Olympics: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 27 Jan 2022 -- "The Chinese military is fully prepared for any external provocation," said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, a spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense, when being asked to comment on the US frequent provocation.
- Hope Chinese, European defense departments to jointly maintain regional peace and stability: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 27 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese military held defense strategy consultations via video links with its counterparts from the UK and France on January 12 and 13 respectively, said a Chinese defense spokesperson on Thursday.
- China eyes substantial progress in modernization of military personnel People's Daily 27 Jan 2022 -- China's Central Military Commission recently issued a decision ordering greater efforts to improve work related to military talent to bring about substantial progress in the modernization of military personnel.
- Conflicting statement on meeting with DPP official shows US concerns about China's response: expert Global Times 27 Jan 2022 -- US Vice President Kamala Harris has no plans to meet deputy regional leader of Taiwan Lai Ching-te during her trip to Honduras for the inauguration of President-elect Xiomara Castro, after Lai arrived in Los Angeles on Tuesday for a layover and talked with congressmen before his trip to Honduras, according to media reports on Wednesday.
- China warns US over Ukraine, says Russia's security concerns 'should be taken seriously' Press TV 27 Jan 2022 -- China has urged the United States to remain calm and refrain from actions that stir up tensions over Ukraine, stressing that Russia's security concerns in Europe should be "taken seriously," amid a brewing crisis between Moscow and the West.
- China denies interest in retrieving sunken US fighter jet Radio Free Asia 27 Jan 2022 -- China denied Thursday that it has any interest in recovering the wreckage of the crashed U.S. F-35C fighter jet that may contain sensitive technological information.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on January 27, 2022 PRC MofA 27 Jan 2022
- China warns US to 'stop interfering' in next week's Winter Olympics Press TV 27 Jan 2022 -- China has warned the United States to "stop interfering" in the upcoming Winter Olympics in Beijing after a handful of other Western countries followed the US to boycott the international sports event.
- China Demands US Stop 'Interference' in Winter Olympics VOA 27 Jan 2022 -- China has accused the United States of "interference" in the Beijing Winter Olympics and is demanding it stop.
- Wang Yi urges US to stop interrupting Beijing Games, respect Russia's concerns over Ukraine in phone call with Blinken Global Times 27 Jan 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Thursday urged the US to stop interfering in the Beijing Winter Olympics and stop playing with fire on the Taiwan question while calling on all parties involved in Ukraine to remain calm and not instigate tensions in a phone call with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken.
- Hong Kong sets nomination period for chief executive election, releases guidelines Global Times 27 Jan 2022 -- Hong Kong on Thursday released a highly anticipated guideline for the upcoming chief executive election, and set the nomination period for the race from February 20 to March 5, with the election date set on March 27.
- More than 100 charged under Hong Kong's national security law amid ongoing crackdown Radio Free Asia 27 Jan 2022 -- Hong Kong's national security police arrested 160 people during 2021 under a draconian law that launched a citywide crackdown on political opposition and public dissent, charging more than 100 of them, Hong Kong's chief of police said on Thursday.
- Legal Experts Question Hong Kong Chief Justice's Independence Claims VOA 27 Jan 2022 -- Criticism of Hong Kong's judicial independence has no "value" according to the special administrative region's chief justice, but law experts say many questions remain.
- Director of central gov't liaison office in HKSAR stresses "historical confidence" in "one country, two systems" People's Daily 27 Jan 2022 -- Luo Huining, director of the Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), on Wednesday emphasized historical confidence in the "one country, two systems."
- China's 'Belt and Road' Risk in Syria May Reap Big Rewards VOA 27 Jan 2022 -- Syria, a country torn by civil war, recently joined China's Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), a move analysts say reflects China's growing interest in the Middle East.
- China's Financial Diplomacy Wins Influence in Central Asian Countries VOA 27 Jan 2022 -- This year marks the 30th anniversary of China having established diplomatic ties with five central Asian countries. In 1991, the Soviet Union collapsed, and Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan gained independence.
- China to become high-income country no later than the end of 2023: economists Global Times 27 Jan 2022 -- Could the Chinese economy sail through the year 2022? The world's second-largest economy is well positioned to land at a growth rate above 5 percent this year, and the country is on trajectory to become a high-income country no later than the end of 2023, prominent Chinese economists said, sending an upbeat note for China to prelude a head start in 2022 while quashing a reverberating dim view of the prospects of the Chinese economy.
- China launches 3-year action plan to crack down on money laundering People's Daily 27 Jan 2022 -- Authorities in China have initiated a three-year action plan to combat money laundering, with the People's Bank of China (PBOC) and the Ministry of Public Security (MPS) leading the campaign.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list