Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
26 January 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing's close neighbor locks down communities as city's Delta-related outbreak continues to rise Global Times 26 Jan 2022 -- While Beijing reported eight more new COVID-19 infections who were all from already-controlled populations with the Delta strain, one more city - neighboring Sanhe in North China's Hebei Province - reported a case in relation to Beijing's outbreak.
- Beijing's close neighbor Sanhe suspends buses, closes communities after reporting one positive case Global Times 26 Jan 2022 -- Beijing's neighbor city Sanhe, North China's Hebei Province, suspended all bus lines and closed communities in seven regions on Wednesday morning as the city reported one COVID-19 positive case.
- N.China Tianjin victorious against Omicron outbreak within 18 days: CDC Global Times 26 Jan 2022 -- Tianjin has won a complete victory against the Omicron variant within 18 days since the latest COVID-19 spike raided the city on January 8, deputy head of the city's center for disease control and prevention noted, saying that the current new local infections are all found at the centralized quarantine sites and there exists no risk of spreading the virus in communities since January 21.
- China Records 44 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 26 Jan 2022 -- China reported 44 new coronavirus (COVID-19) cases.
- 2 asymptomatic cases in Xinjiang's Ili caused by Omicron variant; source of infection still unknown Global Times 26 Jan 2022 -- Two asymptomatic cases reported on Sunday, in Northwest China's port city of Khorgas, were confirmed to be caused by Omicron variant after gene sequencing, local authorities said on Tuesday, indicating that this outbreak is spreading fast and the source of the infection is still unknown.
- Chinese mainland reports 24 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday recorded 24 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said on Wednesday.
- Beijing classifies two more areas as at-risk for COVID-19 infection People's Daily 26 Jan 2022 -- Beijing has classified two new areas as medium-risk for COVID-19, as the city reported 15 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Tuesday.
- Hong Kong reports 124 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Jan 2022 -- Hong Kong reported 124 new cases of COVID-19 over the past 24 hours on Tuesday, taking the total tally to 13,519, according to data from the Center for Health Protection.
- Xinjiang logs 2 confirmed COVID-19 cases, 6 asymptomatic carriers People's Daily 26 Jan 2022 -- Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region registered two confirmed COVID-19 cases and six asymptomatic carriers from midnight to 8:00 p.m. Tuesday, the local health commission has said.
- Lithuania should take real actions to correct mistakes: Taiwan Affairs Office Global Times 26 Jan 2022 -- State Council's Taiwan Affairs Office on Wednesday urged Lithuania to take real actions to correct its mistakes and reiterated that China firmly opposes any activities that jeopardize the one-China principle.
- Lithuania won't smoothen China ties by mere name change Global Times 26 Jan 2022 -- Whether Lithuania seeks to change the name of the island of Taiwan's representative office in the country, the Baltic country has long overlooked the fact that the fundamental solution of smoothening frayed ties between Beijing and Vilnius is for the latter to acknowledge its mistake and eliminate the negative impact caused by its reckless actions, said Chinese experts, after media reported Lithuania was considering modifying the representation of the island of Taiwan.
- Taiwan's DPP urged to stop detainment of mainland fishing boats People's Daily 26 Jan 2022 -- A mainland spokesperson on Wednesday urged the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authority in Taiwan to immediately stop seizing and detaining mainland fishing boats.
- US Navy plans to recover stealth jet that crashed into South China Sea Radio Free Asia 26 Jan 2022 -- The U.S. Navy says it is working to recover the F-35C Lightning II fighter jet that crashed in the South China Sea - a tough mission likely to play out under the watchful eyes of China.
- US aims to recover crashed F-35 that fell into South China Sea before Beijing does Press TV 26 Jan 2022 -- The US navy says it plans to make arrangements to recover an F-35C warplane that fell into the sea.
- US Navy Rushes to Salvage Remnants of F-35 That Crashed in South China Sea Before PRC Does Sputnik 26 Jan 2022 -- A Navy F-35C crashed into the deck of the USS Carl Vinson while attempting a landing during operations in the South China Sea on Monday, with the pilot ejecting safely but sustaining injuries. Six members of the carrier's crew were also injured. The stealth jet's remains were said to have plunged overboard and sunk.
- Chinese military to deliver disaster relief supplies to Tonga PLA Daily 26 Jan 2022 -- According to the news released by Chinese Defense Spokesperson Senior Colonel Wu Qian on Wednesday, upon the request of the Kingdom of Tonga, despite the adverse conditions such as volcanic ash, the Chinese military will dispatch air force transport aircraft and naval vessels to deliver emergency supplies to Tonga for disaster relief and post-disaster reconstruction.
- Required App Raises Fears China Will Track Sensitive Data During Olympics VOA 26 Jan 2022 -- American 2018 Olympic silver medalist Chris Mazdzer is worried about being hacked as he heads into the Beijing Winter Olympics next month. Like everyone there, he's required to use China's My 2022 health-monitoring app despite fears about encryption problems.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on January 26, 2022 PRC MofA 26 Jan 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Call with PRC State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang US Dept. of State 26 Jan 2022 -- The below is attributable to Spokesperson Ned Price:
- China to aid 5 Central Asia countries with additional 50 million vaccines, to continue 'high-level political mutual trust' Global Times 26 Jan 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday said China is ready to work with Central Asian countries in building a closer community with a shared future and pledged to build a cooperation belt for high-quality development, strengthen the shield for defending peace, diversify interaction mechanisms and offer assistance to advance the Global Development Initiative.
- Liaison Office chief stresses HK's future lies in integration into nation's overall devt in new year address Global Times 26 Jan 2022 -- During a New Year address to Hong Kong society on Wednesday, the central government's top official in Hong Kong expressed confidence in the "one country, two systems," spoke highly of the city's new changes following the implementation of the national security law and the improvement of the electoral system, and stressed that the future of Hong Kong lies in the city resolutely integrating into the overall development of the country.
- Hong Kong plans to add more national security crimes, broaden definition of spying Radio Free Asia 26 Jan 2022 -- Hong Kong's security secretary warned on Wednesday that the city's government plans to broaden the scope of the colonial-era Official Secrets Act to encompass broader definitions of espionage.
- Bill to boost US businesses includes new protections for China's Uyghurs Radio Free Asia 26 Jan 2022 -- Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday released a wide-ranging bill intended to support the U.S. tech industry while also confronting China on human rights abuses, including the persecution of Uyghurs and other ethnic minorities in the country's Xinjiang region.
- Beijing seals up its Winter Olympics 'bubble' amid growing calls for boycott Radio Free Asia 26 Jan 2022 -- Authorities in China have placed a "bubble" around 2022 Winter Olympics venues and facilities, in a bid to limit the spread of COVID-19, amid growing international calls for a boycott of the event due to human rights concerns.
- Former Party chief of E.China's Hangzhou expelled from Party, public office for corruption, supporting capital expanding disorderly Global Times 26 Jan 2022 -- Zhou Jiangyong, a former Party chief of Hangzhou in East China's Zhejiang Province, was expelled from the Communist Party of China (CPC) and public office for violating laws and disciplines, colluding with the capital and supporting capital expanding disorderly, China's top anti-graft agency said in a statement published on Wednesday.
- Former vice president of China Development Bank expelled from CPC, office People's Daily 26 Jan 2022 -- He Xingxiang, former vice president of China Development Bank, has been expelled from the Communist Party of China (CPC) and dismissed from public office for grave violations of Party discipline and laws, the country's top anti-graft body said Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list