Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 January 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing tightens COVID-19 test requirements for cold chain logistics workers Global Times 20 Jan 2022 -- Beijing now requires workers in the imported cold chain food industry to hold COVID-19 nucleic acid negative test certificates within three days, instead of the previous seven days, as the capital city strengthens epidemic prevention measures amid the recent flare-up.
- Number of new COVID-19 cases on Chinese mainland continues to decline People's Daily 20 Jan 2022 -- The number of new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases reported on the Chinese mainland continued to decline on Wednesday, according to the National Health Commission (NHC) 's Thursday report.
- 7th Fleet Destroyer conducts Freedom of Navigation Operation in South China Sea US Navy 20 Jan 2022 -- On Jan. 20, USS Benfold (DDG 65) asserted navigational rights and freedoms in the vicinity of the Paracel Islands, consistent with international law. At the conclusion of the operation, USS Benfold exited the excessive claim and continued operations in the South China Sea.
- Barbs traded after US warship sails in China-claimed territorial sea Radio Free Asia 20 Jan 2022 -- China and the United States have engaged in a renewed spat over the activity of a U.S. naval ship in the South China Sea, with Washington asserting its right to navigate territorial waters and Beijing warning of "serious consequences."
- PLA expels US warship trespassing Chinese territorial waters in S.China Sea Global Times 20 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) expelled a US warship that trespassed Chinese territorial waters in the South China Sea on Thursday, a move experts said displays the PLA's capability to safeguard national sovereignty and territorial integrity amid several other recent US muscle-flexing moves in the region.
- MND spokesperson slams US destroyer's entering Chinese waters PLA Daily 20 Jan 2022 -- The US guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold trespassed into China's territorial waters off the Xisha Islands without Chinese government's permission on January 20. The naval and air forces of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Southern Theater Command conducted tracking and monitoring on the US destroyer and warned it off. The Chinese military expresses strong dissatisfaction with and resolute opposition to the behavior of the US side, said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of National Defense (MND) today.
- US destroyer trespassing in China's territorial waters to stir up trouble in South China Sea PLA Daily 20 Jan 2022 -- "On January 20, the US guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold trespassed into China's territorial waters off Xisha Islands without Chinese government's permission. The naval and air forces of the Chinese PLA Southern Theater Command conducted tracking and whole-process monitoring on the US destroyer and warned it off," said Air Force Senior Colonel Tian Junli, spokesperson for the PLA Southern Theater Command.
- China warns away US warship in South China Sea Press TV 20 Jan 2022 -- China's military says it has warned away a US warship that had illegally entered Chinese waters near the disputed Paracel Islands in the South China Sea, amid heightened tensions between Beijing and Washington over the strategic waterway.
- North Korea Expands China Trade, But Wider Pandemic Approach Unclear VOA 20 Jan 2022 -- North Korea this week resumed railway imports from China for the first time since its lockdown began in 2020, potentially signaling a new phase in its approach to the pandemic.
- Aircraft carrier Liaoning expands crew members' versatility in far sea drill Global Times 20 Jan 2022 -- In a recent cross-regional exercise by the aircraft carrier Liaoning of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy, the vessel trained its crew in new skills, enabling them to work on different posts, with analysts saying on Thursday that the Liaoning, China's first aircraft carrier, explored new methods and gained experience for the country's aircraft carrier program.
- Iran, Russia, China To Hold Joint Naval Drill Amid Growing Ties RFE/RL 20 Jan 2022 -- Iran, Russia, and China will hold joint naval exercises in the north of the Indian Ocean on January 21, Iranian media have reported, amid speculation that the three countries are teaming up in the face of growing pressure from the United States and its allies over Ukraine and European security guarantees.
- Iran, Russia, China to hold joint marine security exercise in north of Indian Ocean Press TV 20 Jan 2022 -- Iran, Russia and China are set to hold a joint naval drill in the Indian Ocean as part of a plan to expand military cooperation and boost maritime security in the Indo-Pacific region.
- China, Russia, Iran complete joint drill amid 'restrictions on sea routes from some major powers' Global Times 20 Jan 2022 -- China, Russia and Iran held a three-day maritime joint exercise in the Gulf of Oman, aiming to deepen pragmatic cooperation among the navies of the three countries, China's Ministry of National Defense announced on Thursday.
- China, Iran and Russia hold 2nd joint naval exercise PLA Daily 20 Jan 2022 -- According to the consensus of the armed forces of China, Iran and Russia, the navies of the three countries held their second joint maritime exercise in the Gulf of Oman from January 18 to 20, 2022.
- China reports first official oil imports from Iran in a year despite US bans Press TV 20 Jan 2022 -- Latest data from the General Administration of Chinese Customs show the country's first official oil imports from Iran in a year, despite harsh US sanctions aimed at cutting the Islamic Republic's oil exports to "zero."
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on January 20, 2022 PRC MofA 20 Jan 2022
- French Parliament calls Uyghur persecution a genocide Radio Free Asia 20 Jan 2022 -- The French Parliament on Thursday officially labeled China's persecution of its Uyghur minority a genocide, joining other Western governments and legislatures that have issued similar declarations.
- French Lawmakers Denounces China's Uyghur 'Genocide' In Xinjiang RFE/RL 20 Jan 2022 -- France's lower house of parliament has passed a nonbinding resolution that accuses China of "crimes against humanity and genocide" perpetrated against ethnic Uyghurs in China's northwestern province of Xinjiang.
- French Parliament Passes Motion Calling China's Treatment of Uyghurs Genocide VOA 20 Jan 2022 -- Citing "crimes against humanity and genocide" against the Uyghur Muslim minority in China's Xinjiang province, the French Parliament on Thursday passed a non-binding motion urging French authorities to condemn Beijing.
- Calls grow for real-name link to track, restrict individuals' movements in Hong Kong Radio Free Asia 20 Jan 2022 -- Pro-China lawmakers in Hong Kong have thrown their support behind proposals to use Hong Kong's "Leave Home Safe" COVID-19 tracking app to impose restrictions on the movements of the city's residents, in a manner similar to the app's mainland Chinese equivalent.
- Hong Kong university withdraws recognition, facilities from student union Radio Free Asia 20 Jan 2022 -- Another Hong Kong university has withdrawn recognition for its student union amid an ongoing clampdown on public speech, under a draconian national security law imposed on the city by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
- Report: China's Worldwide Dragnet Forces Fugitives to Return Home VOA 20 Jan 2022 -- "China's long arm is everywhere in its own society, and it's now coming abroad," said Li Gang, a former real estate developer in China's central city of Wuhan.
- CPC's disciplinary agency renews anti-corruption drive, to fight new challenges of 'capital-power collusion' Global Times 20 Jan 2022 -- The Communist Party of China's (CPC) top disciplinary agency pledged to maintain a strong and persistent crackdown on corruption in a communiquÃ© released Thursday, and the document also said the Party will actively handle "the new challenges and new situations" of the anti-corruption campaign, including strengthening investigations and punishment behind the "disorderly expansion of capital" and monopoly of some online platforms, vowing to cut off the collusion between capital and power.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list