Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
17 January 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China enters Chunyun time cautiously amid nationwide COVID-19 flare-ups Global Times 17 Jan 2022 -- China's 40-day Chunyun or Spring Festival travel rush, the world's largest human migration, kicked off on Monday with cautious measures amid domestic COVID-19 flare-ups in at least 10 provinces and regions.
- Chinese mainland reports 163 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported 163 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Monday.
- China steps up COVID-19 control to ensure safe holiday People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- Chinese authorities have stepped up COVID-19 prevention and control measures in the face of the twin challenges of imported outbreaks of the Delta and Omicron strains, to ensure a safe Spring Festival holiday.
- Over 2.93 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- Over 2.93 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Saturday, data from the National Health Commission showed Sunday.
- China scrambles to contain omicron outbreaks in major cities Radio Free Asia 17 Jan 2022 -- Authorities in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangdong are scrambling to contain outbreaks of the omicron variant of COVID-19 ahead of the 2022 Winter Olympics, which open in Beijing on Feb. 4.
- China Records 223 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 17 Jan 2022 -- China reported 223 new coronavirus (COVID-19) cases.
- Shenzhen reports 1 Omicron case, unrelated to previous transmission chains Global Times 17 Jan 2022 -- Shenzhen, in South China's Guangdong Province, reported two new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, including one infection with the Omicron variant which is not linked to previous transmission chains in the city.
- Shanghai reports 3 local asymptomatic COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- East China's Shanghai registered three locally transmitted asymptomatic COVID-19 infections on Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- China's Tianjin reports 33 new local COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality reported 33 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases Saturday, the city's health authority said at a press conference Sunday.
- China's Xi'an city reports new local COVID-19 case People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- Xi'an, capital of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, reported one new locally-transmitted COVID-19 case on Saturday, local authorities said Sunday.
- Hong Kong reports 11 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- Hong Kong on Sunday reported 11 new cases of COVID-19 over the past 24 hours, taking the total tally of cases tested positive to 13,041, according to data from the Center for Health Protection (CHP).
- Strategy remains effective amid outbreaks People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- Health officials believe China's dynamic zero-COVID-19 strategy remains effective in controlling coronavirus outbreaks, as Omicron infections surfaced in major cities including Beijing and Shanghai over the
- China, North Korea resume rail freight, to facilitate normal trade Global Times 17 Jan 2022 -- Rail freight between China and North Korea has resumed after the pandemic caused it to be suspended for some time, the Chinese foreign ministry said on Monday.
- Newly commissioned J-20 stealth fighters on combat alert Global Times 17 Jan 2022 -- J-20 stealth fighter jets that entered service with an ace unit of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Northern Theater Command Air Force last year have now formed combat capabilities and already started to carry out combat alert duties, the unit's commander announced on Monday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on January 17, 2022 PRC MofA 17 Jan 2022
- China's President Xi warns global confrontation could lead to 'catastrophic consequences' Press TV 17 Jan 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has warned that a confrontation between major world powers could only lead to catastrophic consequences and will not solve any problems.
- Hong Kong's Chinese University to start patriotic 'national security education' Radio Free Asia 17 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) is to impose the ruling Chinese Communist Party's patriotic education program on all students starting in the fall of 2022, a source told RFA.
- China's 2021 Birth Rates Fall to Lowest Levels in 7 Decades VOA 17 Jan 2022 -- China's birth rates declined to their lowest rate since the ruling Communist Party took control in 1949, despite policymakers easing the longstanding one-child policy.
- China's population continues to grow in 2021 People's Daily 17 Jan 2022 -- China's population on the mainland has grown to 1.4126 billion by the end of last year, government data showed Monday.
- Evergrande delivers 37,899 new homes in December, as construction largely resumes Global Times 17 Jan 2022 -- Evergrande delivered 37,899 new homes to the buyers in December with plans to settle 30,000 more homes in January, the group said in an announcement on its official WeChat account on Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list