Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
14 January 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- South China's Zhuhai becomes second Chinese mainland city to report Omicron variant; cancels all flights to Beijing Global Times 14 Jan 2022 -- South China's Zhuhai in Guangdong Province,which borders Macao, reported seven locally-transmitted Omicron cases on Friday, making it the second city in the Chinese mainland to be hit by the Omicron variant after Tianjin. Zhuhai has canceled all flights to Beijing, and several nearby cities suspended expressway or waterway routes to Zhuhai.
- North China's Tianjin to launch 3rd citywide nucleic acid testing People's Daily 14 Jan 2022 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality will launch the third round of citywide nucleic acid testing at 7 a.m. Saturday, said the municipal epidemic prevention and control headquarters.
- Over 2.92 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 14 Jan 2022 -- Over 2.92 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Thursday, data from the National Health Commission showed Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 143 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 14 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported 143 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Friday.
- China's virus-hit Tianjin tightens measures to curb fresh outbreak People's Daily 14 Jan 2022 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality on Thursday announced it would upgrade its COVID-19 prevention and control measures in risk areas to lower the risk of the virus spreading.
- Overview: China's three cities in fight against COVID-19 People's Daily 14 Jan 2022 -- Three Chinese cities are battling against COVID-19 resurgence. Tianjin and Zhengzhou are reporting over 100 new cases per day, while Xi'an sees a steady decline of cases.
- Beijing anti-COVID in action to ensure safety of city, Winter Games Global Times 14 Jan 2022 -- Beijing vowed to beef up measures to prevent a COVID-19 flare-up in China's capital and ensure people's safety as the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games approach. Besides the concerns raised by the latest domestic wave of COVID-19 in neighboring city Tianjin, the arrival of tens of thousands of overseas participants must alert the Chinese capital to the risk of imported infections.
- Tianjin ensures stable supply of daily necessities and smooth access to medical treatment amid Omicron outbreak Global Times 14 Jan 2022 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality has been making efforts to ensure residents' daily necessities and provide an optimized mechanism to ensure they have a smooth access to medical treatment amid the latest wave of COVID-19, the authorities announced on Thursday.
- Shanghai strengthens health monitoring on inbound travelers following rise of imported COVID-19 cases Global Times 14 Jan 2022 -- Shanghai has strengthened control measures on community health monitoring of inbound travelers after five cases that tested positive for COVID-19 were all related to an imported asymptomatic case, the authorities said on Thursday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on January 14, 2022 PRC MofA 14 Jan 2022
- China Seen Backing 'Digital Authoritarianism' in Latin America VOA 14 Jan 2022 -- Chinese technology and expertise is making it possible for Venezuela and Cuba to exercise suffocating control over digital communications in the two countries, according to insider accounts and several international investigations.
- British Intelligence Shines Light on Chinese Spy 'Hiding in Plain Sight' VOA 14 Jan 2022 -- Britain's domestic intelligence agency, MI5, is coming under political pressure to explain why it did not alert lawmakers sooner about the activities of a suspected Chinese spy, who the security service now say was "knowingly engaged in political interference in the U.K."
- Some people have seen too many James Bond films, Chinese FM responds to UK allegation of 'political interference' Global Times 14 Jan 2022 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry stressed that China has always adhered to the principle of non-interference in other countries' internal affairs, after UK Military Intelligence, Section 5 (MI5) is reported to have alleged that a British lawyer of Chinese descent is "involved in political interference activities" in the UK Parliament on behalf of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
- Analysts: Even EU Members Taking 'Wait and See' Approach on China-Lithuania Standoff VOA 14 Jan 2022 -- Taiwan has pledged $1 billion to Lithuania in its latest move to counter China's pressure on the small Baltic nation â€” the first European Union member to allow Taipei to use its name on a de facto embassy.
- China Claims Support from Arab States on Muslim Treatment VOA 14 Jan 2022 -- Beijing says an organization of several oil-rich Arab monarchies has dismissed the Chinese government's controversial treatment of Uyghur Muslims as "an internal matter."
- FM uses slideshow to expose anti-China forces' lies on Xinjiang Global Times 14 Jan 2022 -- Fabricating reports with numerous loopholes, hiring "actresses" to play as "victims," covering malicious purposes of disturbing China's Xinjiang region with excuses on human rights... Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin on Friday used more than 20 slides to refute disinformation and rumors made by anti-China "scholars," the US and Western media, and the terrorist organization "World Uyghur Congress."
- Rights groups urge countries to pressure China on human rights before Olympics Radio Free Asia 14 Jan 2022 -- Rights groups and a former United Nations official issued a final plea for the international community to use the approaching Winter Olympics in Beijing to pressure China to improve its human rights record, amid widespread persecution of Muslim Uyghurs, Tibetans, Hongkongers and other groups.
- CPC sends clear signal for seeing Party conduct-improving campaign through People's Daily 14 Jan 2022 -- The top disciplinary watchdog of the Communist Party of China (CPC), China's governing party, has recently published 10 cases of violations of the eight-point decision on improving Party conduct.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list