Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
13 January 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China Struggles to Contain Omicron Before Winter Olympics VOA 13 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese city of Tianjin ordered a second round of COVID-19 testing for all of its 14 million residents on Wednesday after an initial screening of the population found 97 positive cases. The port city is about 100 kilometers southeast of the Winter Olympics host city of Beijing.
- Tianjin's rapid COVID-19 tests help stem further Omicron spread; how did it make an impossible mission possible? Global Times 13 Jan 2022 -- Is it possible for a megacity of 14 million people to complete a citywide nucleic acid test screening against the coronavirus disease within about two days? North China's Tianjin Municipality says "Yes!"
- Omicron infection from Tianjin spills to port city Dalian after spreading to Anyang Global Times 13 Jan 2022 -- The latest COVID-19 outbreak in the northern Chinese city Tianjin has spread to at least two other cities - Anyang in Central China's Henan Province and Dalian, a port city in Northeast China's Liaoning Province, and local authorities in Dalian on Wednesday said the epidemic situation was basically under control.
- Macao tightens travel restrictions after finding close contacts with COVID-19 case reported in mainland Global Times 13 Jan 2022 -- The Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) on Thursday upgraded its COVID-19 prevention measures, requiring all personnel entering the city from the mainland via land border ports to present a negative nucleic acid test certificate taken within 48 hours starting Friday, after Zhongshan, which is about 70 kilometers from Macao, reported one positive case on Thursday and two of the close contacts of the case were found in Macao.
- N.China's Tianjin cuts off public transport to other cities amid Omicrons rampage Global Times 13 Jan 2022 -- Tianjin, a gateway to Beijing, has cut off public transportation to other cities including trains, buses and taxis, and car-hailing service as the city registered more residents with the Omicron variant.
- Beijing beefs up health monitoring of people entering the capital as Winter Olympics near Global Times 13 Jan 2022 -- Beijing has beefed up health monitoring of everyone entering to the capital to ensure that no one is missed as the capital tries to prevent a COVID-19 outbreak as Winter Olympics approaches. Now the capital city is facing threats posed by both Omicron and Delta, as well as imported cases.
- China's virus-hit Tianjin tightens measures to curb fresh outbreak People's Daily 13 Jan 2022 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality on Thursday announced it would upgrade its COVID-19 prevention and control measures in risk areas to lower the risk of the virus spreading.
- China's Zhongshan City sees 1 test positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 13 Jan 2022 -- Zhongshan City, south China's Guangdong Province, reported on Thursday that a local company employee had tested positive for COVID-19 during a nucleic acid testing in the early morning.
- Chinese mainland reports 124 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 124 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Thursday.
- Shanghai-based pharma provides over 13 mln doses of COVID-19 vaccines to Taiwan: spokesperson People's Daily 13 Jan 2022 -- Shanghai-based Fosun Pharma provided 13.33 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines to Taiwan in 2021, a mainland spokesperson said Wednesday.
- China Records 190 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 13 Jan 2022 -- China reported 190 new coronavirus (COVID-19) cases.
- Why is China's zero-COVID-19 approach effective against Omicron variant? People's Daily 13 Jan 2022 -- Minasyan Anush, an Armenian who lives in north China's Tianjin Municipality, no longer feels anxious after receiving her negative test result for COVID-19.
- New confirmed COVID-19 cases drop to eight in China's Xi'an People's Daily 13 Jan 2022 -- Xi'an, capital of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, reported eight new confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, local authorities said Wednesday.
- Tianjin launches second citywide nucleic acid testing to contain Omicron spread People's Daily 13 Jan 2022 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality on Wednesday morning mobilized all residents to undergo the second round of nucleic acid testing, after the first round of citywide screening starting Sunday found 77 positive samples for COVID-19.
- Chinese experts urge booster shot to protect against Omicron People's Daily 13 Jan 2022 -- Chinese health experts have urged the public to get a booster shot for COVID-19 to protect against the Omicron variant.
- Interview: US 'deeply concerned' by China's human rights abuses in Tibet Radio Free Asia 13 Jan 2022 -- On Dec. 20, 2021, U.S. Undersecretary of State Uzra Zeya was designated by Secretary of State Antony Blinken to serve as U.S. special coordinator for Tibetan issues. She will serve in this role concurrently with her position as undersecretary for civilian security, democracy and human rights. On Jan. 13, RFA Tibetan Service reporter Tashi Wangchuk spoke with Uzra Zeya about her new role and the challenges lying ahead. The interview was edited for length.
- China steps up repression in Xinjiang and Tibet, rights group says Radio Free Asia 13 Jan 2022 -- China in 2021 increased its repression of ethnic minorities in Tibet and the northwestern region of Xinjiang, severely restricting freedom of religion and pursuing coercive assimilationist policies aimed at creating a single national identity, a rights group said Thursday.
- JOINT PRESS RELEASE OF THE 14TH ROUND OF INDIA-CHINA CORPS COMMANDER LEVEL MEETING India PIB 13 Jan 2022 -- The 14th round India-China Corps Commander Level Meeting was held at Chushul-Moldo border meeting point on the Chinese side on 12th January 2022
- Detailed US government study declares China's maritime claims unlawful Radio Free Asia 13 Jan 2022 -- The U.S. State Department has issued its most comprehensive study yet on China's sweeping maritime claims in the South China Sea and concludes that they amount to an unlawful claim to most of the disputed waterway and "gravely undermine the rule of law."
- Non-member US plays magistrate of UN convention to sow discord in South China Sea: Chinese FM Global Times 13 Jan 2022 -- The US was trying to distort international law and sow discord in regions around the South China Sea by touting a report which claims that China's maritime sovereignty in most of the South China Sea was unlawful, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Thursday.
- New Type 052D destroyer Guilin makes training appearance Global Times 13 Jan 2022 -- The Guilin, a Type 052D guided missile destroyer newly commissioned into the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) South Sea Fleet, participated in a live-fire exercise at the start of 2022, with analysts saying on Thursday that the warship can rapidly achieve initial operational capability.
- As China Declares Type 055 Cruiser Lhasa Battle-Worthy, Two More Reportedly Begun in Dalian Sputnik 13 Jan 2022 -- The People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) has declared its second Type 055 missile cruiser to be combat worthy following war games held in the Yellow Sea last week. The stealthy warships are the second-largest non-carrier warships afloat anywhere in the world, closely following the US' troubled Zumwalt-class destroyers.
- China, France hold 16th defense strategy consultation PLA Daily 13 Jan 2022 -- The militaries of China and France held the 16th China-France Defense Strategy Consultation via video link on January 13. The consultation was co-chaired by Lieutenant General Shao Yuanming, vice chief of the Joint Staff Department under China's Central Military Commission (CMC) and Lieutenant General Luc De Rancourt, deputy director general for international relations and strategy of the French Ministry of Defence. The two sides had a candid and in-depth exchange of views on the international and regional security situation, relations between the two militaries and other issues of common concern.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on January 13, 2022 PRC MofA 13 Jan 2022
- Syria joins BRI amid extensive China-Mideast exchanges Global Times 13 Jan 2022 -- Syria on Wednesday signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on China's Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) as the country is seeking post-war reconstruction, showing its high political trust in China, experts noted. The move came two days before the scheduled visit of the Iranian foreign minister to China - as part of the intensive visits to China of Mideast senior officials this week.
- Syria joins BRI to rebuild amid wars, Western sanctions, pandemic via cooperation with China Global Times 13 Jan 2022 -- Syria on Wednesday joined China's Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), which experts said is a great achievement of the BRI as it now has connected with the whole Middle East, demonstrating its influence and appeal.
- HK Police to fully adopt Chinese-style foot drills from July 1 Global Times 13 Jan 2022 -- While the Hong Kong Disciplined Services have been gradually introducing Chinese-style marching since the beginning of 2021, the Hong Kong Police Force (HKPF) decided to fully transform from British style to the Chinese-style foot drills starting from July 1 in both ceremonies and all levels of foot drills and daily etiquette, a spokesperson of the HKPF told the Global Times on Thursday.
- Hong Kong COVID-19 Tracking App Spurs Opposition VOA 13 Jan 2022 -- A new Hong Kong mandate that restaurants and other establishments require use of an app aimed at recording people's locations and telling them if they have been near a COVID-19 patient has spurred opposition from the city's pro-democracy voices.
- First LegCo meeting unveils good democracy in HK Global Times 13 Jan 2022 -- As the 7th Legislative Council (LegCo) completed its first meeting on Wednesday after electoral reform ensured that only patriots can govern the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), the chamber not only featured a new look that underscores the constitutional status of the city, but was also filled with a rational and constructive atmosphere.
- HKSAR's 7th-term LegCo holds 1st meeting People's Daily 13 Jan 2022 -- The seventh-term Legislative Council (LegCo) of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) held its first meeting on Wednesday.
- Turkey allows no terrorist activities that infringe China's sovereignty to be conducted on its territory: Turkish FM Global Times 13 Jan 2022 -- Turkey won't allow terrorist activities targeting China or any anti-China activities that infringe China's sovereignty to take place on Turkey's territory, Turkish Foreign Minister MevlÃ¼t Cavusoglu said during talks with Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list