Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
10 January 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Omicron infections spread from Tianjin to Henan Global Times 10 Jan 2022 -- As Omicron infections spread from Tianjin to Henan Province, several regions, including Beijing, urged residents to stay put during the upcoming Spring Festival, and tightened their COVID-19 prevention policies.
- COVID-19 cases in Xi'an surpass 2,000, largest domestically-transmitted epidemic since Wuhan outbreak Global Times 10 Jan 2022 -- Xi'an, the ancient city famous of Terracotta Warriors in Northwest China's Shaanxi Province, registered 2,004 confirmed COVID-19 cases in a month as of Sunday, becoming the domestically-transmitted outbreak with the largest number of confirmed cases on Chinese mainland since the Wuhan epidemic.
- Omicron infection from Tianjin spills over to Henan as 2 cases are found with the new variant Global Times 10 Jan 2022 -- Two people in Anyang, Central China's Henan Province, were found with the Omicron variant on Sunday, the same transmission chain with that found in Tianjin.
- Chinas current normalized anti-COVID measures still most effective against Omicron: epidemiologist Wu Zunyou Global Times 10 Jan 2022 -- Chinas current normalized epidemic control and prevention measures are still the most effective against the Omicron variant, said Wu Zunyou, the chief epidemiologist at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, amid the detection of Omicron in North Chinas Tianjin.
- Chinese test kit producers scramble to meet surging overseas orders Global Times 10 Jan 2022 -- Chinese test kit makers have ramped up workers recruiting and plant production amid booming overseas orders, especially from the US where the Omicron variant is spreading across the states.
- Nearly 2.9 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 10 Jan 2022 -- Nearly 2.9 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Sunday, data from the National Health Commission showed Monday.
- Two infected by COVID-19 Omicron variant in central China's Henan People's Daily 10 Jan 2022 -- Two COVID-19 local infections in Anyang City, central China's Henan Province, are confirmed to be caused by the Omicron variant, which has been classified as a member of Clade BA.1, local authorities said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 97 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported 97 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Monday.
- China's Tianjin starts citywide COVID-19 testing People's Daily 10 Jan 2022 -- North China's Tianjin, a 13.86-million-people municipality that neighbors Beijing, has decided to start a citywide nucleic acid testing after 20 people tested positive for COVID-19, authorities said Sunday.
- China's Xi'an reports 30 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Jan 2022 -- Xi'an, capital of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, reported 30 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Saturday, local authorities said on Sunday.
- Hong Kong reports 33 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Jan 2022 -- Hong Kong on Sunday reported 33 new cases of COVID-19 over the past 24 hours, taking the total tally of confirmed cases to 12,935, data from the Center for Health Protection showed.
- Beijing steps up pressure on Hong Kong over COVID-19 party scandal, Cathay Pacific Radio Free Asia 10 Jan 2022 -- Beijing has asked Hong Kong's leader to "take swift action" against officials embroiled in a scandal around a birthday party at the center of a large cluster of COVID-19 cases, local media reported on Monday.
- China Records 157 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 10 Jan 2022 -- China reported 157 new coronavirus (COVID-19) cases.
- City Near China's Winter Olympics Site Has Omicron Outbreak VOA 10 Jan 2022 -- A city near Beijing, the site of next month's Winter Olympics, has begun a mass COVID testing campaign because of the discovery of at least 40 omicron cases over a two-day period. Officials have initiated restrictions on Tianjin's residents in an effort to prevent the spread of the outbreak. Bus and train services between Tianjin and Beijing have been suspended.
- COVID-19 infections in kids account for over half of cases in Tianjin Omicron-fueled outbreak Global Times 10 Jan 2022 -- The Omicron variant tends to infect children more easily, Chinese health experts said on Sunday, as more than half of the 40 COVID-19 cases in North China's Tianjin Municipality, a major gateway to the capital Beijing, host of the 2022 Olympics Winter Games, in less than a month, were middle and primary school students.
- Community spread of COVID-19 basically blocked in China's Xi'an People's Daily 10 Jan 2022 -- Xi'an, capital city of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, has basically stopped the spread of COVID-19 in communities one month after the resurgence of the epidemic hit the city, thanks to stringent containment measures such as city-level lockdown and rounds of mass nucleic acid testing.
- PLA Navy's 2nd Type 055 large destroyer holds New Year drills, 'forms operational capability' Global Times 10 Jan 2022 -- The Lhasa, the second Type 055 10,000 ton-class large destroyer of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy, has been holding intensive maritime drills since the start of 2022, with experts saying on Monday that the warship has formed operational capability and is expected to join important missions this year.
- China destroys second revered Tibetan statue in Sichuan Radio Free Asia 10 Jan 2022 -- RFA has verified the destruction of a second Buddhist statue revered by Tibetans since late last month in western China's Sichuan province, part of an campaign the ethnic minority says is targeting its religion and traditions.
- Taiwan showcases new warships in display of deterrence to China Radio Free Asia 10 Jan 2022 -- Taiwan has showcased some of its indigenous-built warships at an event designed to send a message of deterrence to China, local officials and analysts said.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on January 10, 2022 PRC MofA 10 Jan 2022
- Firm support from China to Kazakhstan to end violence and unrest: Chinese FM to counterpart Global Times 10 Jan 2022 -- China firmly supports Kazakhstan's move to end violence in the country and safeguard security, and is willing to jointly oppose interference and infiltration by any external forces, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said during a phone call with Kazakh Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Mukhtar Tileuberdi on Monday.
- China firmly supports Kazakhstan in maintaining stability, stopping violence: FM People's Daily 10 Jan 2022 -- As a permanent comprehensive strategic partner of Kazakhstan, China is willing to firmly support Kazakhstan in maintaining stability and stopping violence at this critical moment concerning Kazakhstan's future, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Monday.
- PRC Sanctions on U.S. Officials US Dept. of State 10 Jan 2022 -- The People's Republic of China's (PRC) sanctions last month on four U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) commissioners, including Chair Nadine Maenza, Vice Chair Nury Turkel, and Commissioners Anurima Bhargava and James W. Carr, constitute yet another PRC affront against universal rights. The PRC has previously sanctioned three other current or former USCIRF commissioners, in addition to dozens of current or former U.S. officials and organizations promoting democracy and respect for human rights around the world - all of which are without merit. We remain undeterred by these actions, and we stand in solidarity with USCIRF and its staff. The United States is committed to defending human rights around the world and will continue to use all diplomatic and economic tools to promote accountability.
- HK separatist Edward Leung reportedly to be released early next week; 'to receive more severe punishment if violates law again' Global Times 10 Jan 2022 -- Jailed Hong Kong separatist Edward Leung will reportedly be released early on January 19 for good behavior. Among social concerns as to whether he would continue to conduct separatist activities, damaging the hard-earned stability of Hong Kong, observers noted that the only and best way for him is to abide by the law and social discipline, otherwise he would receive more severe punishment.
- Armed police chief of staff in Xinjiang takes command of PLA HK Garrison, to 'focus on countering terrorism' Global Times 10 Jan 2022 -- Chinese People's Armed Police Force (PAP) Major General Peng Jingtang has been named the new commander of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Garrison in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to help safeguard the stability and prosperity of the city, as he is the first Garrison commander hailing from the Armed Police Force - and the first to have experience in fighting terrorism in the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
- China appoints new commander of PLA HK Garrison PLA Daily 10 Jan 2022 -- Major General Peng Jingtang, former deputy chief of staff of the People's Armed Police Force (PAP), has been appointed as the commander of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Hong Kong Garrison, according to the news released by Colonel Wu Tao, spokesperson for the PLA Hong Kong Garrison, on January 9.
- China appoints chief of Xinjiang's Armed Police Force to Hong Kong Radio Free Asia 10 Jan 2022 -- China has chosen an official who led antiterrorism special forces in its far-western Xinjiang region as the new commander of the People's Liberation Army's garrison in Hong Kong, sparking concerns that Beijing will crackdown even harder on the region.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list