Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
03 January 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- Local COVID-19 cluster in HK may delay reopening to mainland: analyst Global Times 03 Jan 2022 -- According to the Center for Health Protection of Department of Health of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Hong Kong reported 29 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 40 cases that tested preliminarily positive on Sunday. Analysts said it "will make sense" if the reopening plan between Hong Kong and the mainland is further delayed due to the resurgence in cases.
- Update: Yuzhou in C China announces lockdown after recording 3 asymptomatic cases in 2 days Global Times 03 Jan 2022 -- Yuzhou, a small city in Central China's Henan Province, announced on Monday that it will enter a lockdown starting Monday night, after it reported three asymptomatic cases of COVID-19 in the past two days. All citizens are required to stay at home.
- Xi'an vows to fix loopholes in quarantine services after public complaints Global Times 03 Jan 2022 -- Officials in Xi'an, capital city of Northwest China's Shaanxi Province, which is fighting China's worst COVID-19 outbreak since Wuhan, said on Monday they are working to rectify loopholes in services that local people had been complaining about in some of the city's quarantine areas.
- Xi'an enters 2022 as it confronts severest COVID-19 outbreak since Wuhan Global Times 03 Jan 2022 -- Northwestern China's Xi'an entered 2022 as it fights the country's severest COVID-19 outbreak since Wuhan's in early 2020, with more than 1,600 cases detected so far.
- Nearly 2.85 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 03 Jan 2022 -- Nearly 2.85 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Sunday, data from the National Health Commission showed Monday.
- Xi'an strives to guarantee normal function under COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 03 Jan 2022 -- Xi'an, an ancient city in northwest China, is taking efficient and comprehensive measures to curb the spread of the latest COVID-19 resurgence and guarantee its normal function.
- Chinese mainland reports 101 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Jan 2022 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported 101 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Monday.
- Xi'an residents start bartering amid dwindling lockdown food supplies Radio Free Asia 03 Jan 2022 -- Xi'an's 13 million residents were left bargaining and bartering for essential foodstuffs amid ongoing food shortages, as the city entered its 11th day of lockdown amid a wave of COVID-19 cases.
- China Records 161 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 03 Jan 2022 -- China reported 161 new coronavirus (COVID-19) cases.
- Joint Statement of the Leaders of the Five Nuclear-Weapon States on Preventing Nuclear War and Avoiding Arms Races The White House 03 Jan 2022
- Five Global Powers Pledge to Avoid Nuclear Conflict VOA 03 Jan 2022 -- Five world powers have agreed to work together to stop the further spread of nuclear arms and to avoid nuclear conflict, according to a joint statement.
- World Powers Pledge To Stop Spread Of Nuclear Weapons On Eve Of Non-Proliferation Meeting RFE/RL 03 Jan 2022 -- The world's five leading nuclear powers -- all permanent members of the United Nations Security Council -- have issued a pledge to stop the spread of atomic weapons and to do all they can to ensure a nuclear war never occurs.
- Nuclear-power states reach agreement to prevent spread of nuclear weapons Press TV 03 Jan 2022 -- The world's five nuclear states have agreed to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons and to avoid a nuclear conflict, in a rare joint statement aimed at alleviating global concern and highlighting the push for a nuke-free world.
- Big Five Nuclear Powers Release Joint Statement Saying Their Nukes Aren't Aimed at One Another Sputnik 03 Jan 2022 -- The statement comes in an atmosphere of heightened global tensions - including fears of a conflict between Russia and NATO over Ukraine, and the US and China in the Indo-Pacific.
- China leads in five-state joint statement on preventing nuclear war, arms race Global Times 03 Jan 2022 -- For the first time, the leaders of China, France, Russia, the UK and the US on Monday issued a joint statement on preventing nuclear war and avoiding arms races, in which China played a powerful leading role, and pushed for the reaffirmation of not aiming nuclear devices at each other or at any other state.
- China Builds Bridge Across Pangong Lake to Speed Up Troop Movements Near India's Military Posts Sputnik 03 Jan 2022 -- Pangong Tso [Lake] was one of several friction points along the loosely demarcated Line of Actual Control (LAC) where India's Army and China's People's Liberation Army clashed with stones and iron rods in 2020. In February 2021, the two countries reached an agreement to withdraw troops from the lake and halt patrolling.
- HK security chief vows to strengthen regulation on fake news amid closure of Stand News, Citizen News Global Times 03 Jan 2022 -- Hong Kong security chief Chris Tang Ping-keung vowed to fully support further regulations on fake news, as some media outlets had played the inflammatory role in the past few years in instigating social conflicts.
- First oath-taking for LegCo members of HKSAR in front of national symbols, enhancing awareness of national identity Global Times 03 Jan 2022 -- Ninety newly elected lawmakers were sworn into office in Hong Kong on Monday, which was also the first time they took the oath solemnly in front of the Chinese national flag, the country's national emblem, and the flag of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) at the same time, in accordance with the amended bill related to the display of those national symbols, fully underscoring the constitutional status of the HKSAR and ending the chaotic scenes that occurred in the last oath-taking ceremony at LegCo in 2016 for good.
- Third Hong Kong news organization closes amid crackdown on dissent Radio Free Asia 03 Jan 2022 -- Popular Hong Kong media organization Citizen News has announced it will cease operations in the wake of a national security police raid on pro-democracy news site Stand News, which folded after two of its senior journalists were arrested for "sedition" last week.
- Hong Kong Legislature Welcomes New Pro-China Members VOA 03 Jan 2022 -- Ninety new members of Hong Kong's legislature were sworn in Monday just weeks after elections that effectively barred pro-democracy candidates.
- Hong Kong Citizen News to cease operations from Tuesday on heels of Stand News closure, as observers see no room for anti-govt media serving as political tool Global Times 03 Jan 2022 -- Hong Kong's online news site Citizen News announced on Sunday night that the online site will stop operating from January 4, a decision which came three days after the shutdown of the Stand News as experts and policy advisors urged that media groups in Hong Kong should be further regulated instead of becoming anti-China political tools in name of a free press.
- China's Evergrande Halts Trading as Buildings Reported to Be Under Demolition Order Sputnik 03 Jan 2022 -- The heavily-indebted Chinese developer Evergrande said on Monday it has halted trading in its shares amid media reports about the government's order to the company to tear down several luxury apartment buildings under construction.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list