Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
26 October 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- China places Lanzhou under lockdown amid fresh wave of delta COVID-19 cases Radio Free Asia 26 Oct 2021 -- China locked down its northwestern city of Lanzhou, home to four million people, on Tuesday amid a spike in local cases of the delta variant of COVID-19.
- Vaccination for children aged 3-11 launched across China amid rebound of COVID-19 cases Global Times 26 Oct 2021 -- China has launched a nationwide COVID-19 vaccination campaign for minors aged three to 11, in a bid to increase mass vaccine coverage and accelerate the building of herd immunity, as a new rebound in cases hits almost one-third of the country and becomes one of the worst since the initial outbreak in 2020.
- Beijing health official warns elderly COVID-19 infections in Beijing may develop severe conditions Global Times 26 Oct 2021 -- The local confirmed elderly COVID-19 patients in the latest flare-up in Beijing may develop severe conditions due to them having multiple underlying diseases such as hypertension, malignant tumor and coronary heart disease, Beijing health officials said.
- China to provide 2 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses to the world and $100 million to COVAX Global Times 26 Oct 2021 -- China will strive to contribute 2 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses to the world this year, in addition to donating 100 million doses to developing countries for free, and providing $100 million to COVAX, to facilitate global vaccine cooperation and build a global community of health for all, a Chinese senior official from the China International Development Cooperation Agency (CIDCA) said on Tuesday.
- China-Mongolia border city sacks Party chief for dereliction of duty amid COVID-19 flare-up Global Times 26 Oct 2021 -- Authorities in North China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region removed Chen Zhanyun, Party chief of Ejin Banner, a city bordering China and Mongolia, from his position on Tuesday for lax response to the latest COVID-19 flare-up.
- Over 2.248 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 26 Oct 2021 -- More than 2.248 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Monday, data from the National Health Commission showed Tuesday.
- Party chief sacked following new COVID-19 outbreak in Inner Mongolia county People's Daily 26 Oct 2021 -- The Party chief of Ejina Banner, a county in north China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, has been sacked following a new wave of COVID-19 infections, local authorities have said.
- Chinese mainland reports 29 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Oct 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 29 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Tuesday.
- Eight things to know about COVID-19 countermeasures at Beijing 2022 People's Daily 26 Oct 2021 -- The first Playbook that explains anti-COVID-19 measures to be observed for the Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games was released on Monday.
- Beijing classifies 1 medium-risk area after 2 new COVID-19 cases reported People's Daily 26 Oct 2021 -- Beijing on Monday classified one area as medium-risk for COVID-19 after two new cases were reported, a local health official has said.
- Beijing tightens measures to contain COVID-19 People's Daily 26 Oct 2021 -- Beijing has unveiled new measures to curb the spread of COVID-19 after new local infections emerged in recent days.
- Inner Mongolia county implements home quarantine to contain COVID-19 People's Daily 26 Oct 2021 -- Ejina Banner, a county in north China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, has implemented a home-quarantine measure starting Monday to contain COVID-19.
- Beijing 2022 unveils first playbook for COVID-19 countermeasures People's Daily 26 Oct 2021 -- The first playbook that outlines anti-COVID-19 measures for the Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games has been published here on Monday.
- Pakistan, China Launch Joint Appeal For Humanitarian Aid To Afghanistan RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Oct 2021 -- The leaders of Pakistan and China on October 26 launched a joint appeal to the international community calling for urgent humanitarian and economic aid to Afghanistan, where people are facing food and medicine shortages in the coming winter.
- Chinese Foreign Minister In Qatar For 'In-Depth Exchange' With Taliban Representatives RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Oct 2021 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi is in Qatar this week for high-level meetings with Taliban representatives, the Foreign Ministry said.
- Wang Yi meets Afghan Taliban in Doha Global Times 26 Oct 2021 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi has wrapped up the first high-level engagement with a delegation of the interim Afghanistan government during his visit to the Qatari capital of Doha, with an emphasis on helping the Afghan people to overcome their difficulties and expressing hope for the interim Afghan Taliban government to fulfill promises on making a clean break with the "East Turkistan Islamic Movement (ETIM)" and other terrorist organizations.
- Afghanistan to honor its promise and won't allow any forces to use its territory to harm China: acting deputy PM of Afghan Taliban Global Times 26 Oct 2021 -- The Afghan Taliban attaches great importance to China's security concerns, and will resolutely honor its promise and never allow any forces to use the Afghan territory to harm China, said Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the acting deputy prime minister of the Afghan Taliban's interim government, on Monday during a meeting with Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi in the Qatari capital of Doha.
- China Urges US-Led West to Engage With Taliban, Lift Sanctions VOA 26 Oct 2021 -- China has pressed the Taliban interim government in Afghanistan to "effectively" protect the rights of women and renewed its call for lifting international sanctions against the conflict-torn country to help it tackle a looming "economic chaos."
- Supporting Taiwan's Participation in the UN System US Dept. of State 26 Oct 2021 -- "Taiwan has become a democratic success story. Its model supports transparency, respect for human rights, and the rule of law â€“ values that align with those of the United Nations (UN)."
- US Calls for Renewed Taiwan Participation at UN VOA 26 Oct 2021 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Tuesday urged member states of the United Nations to support Taiwan's "robust" participation in U.N. agencies.
- China firmly opposes discussions about Taiwan's participation in UN activities People's Daily 26 Oct 2021 -- China firmly opposes discussions about Taiwan's participation in United Nations (UN) activities, a spokesperson of the Chinese Embassy in the United States said here on Monday.
- President Xi calls to break new ground in weaponry, equipment development, assigns relevant missions in 14th Five-Year Plan Global Times 26 Oct 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has urged efforts to break new ground in the development of the country's military weaponry and equipment, and contribute to the realization of the goals set for the centennial of the People's Liberation Army (PLA), the Xinhua News Agency reported on Tuesday.
- Xi calls for breaking new ground in weaponry, equipment development PLA Daily 26 Oct 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has urged efforts to break new ground in the development of the country's military weaponry and equipment, and contribute to the realization of the goals set for the centenary of the People's Liberation Army (PLA).
- China unveils biggest maritime patrol vessel yet Radio Free Asia 26 Oct 2021 -- China has put into service its largest maritime patrol vessel yet as it strengthens its "law enforcement" capabilities in the disputed South China Sea, state media say.
- Chinese FM raises four key questions, demanding truth from US on nuclear submarine collision in S. China Sea Global Times 26 Oct 2021 -- The US must reveal the truth and its intention behind the recent nuclear submarine collision incident in the South China Sea and give a due answer to countries in the region and the international community, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
- Highlights of the China-Russia Joint Sea-2021 Military Exercise and Joint Cruise PLA Daily 26 Oct 2021 -- The guided-missile destroyer Nanchang (Hull 101) of the Chinese PLA Navy successfully completed the China-Russia joint naval exercise Joint Sea-2021 and the first joint maritime cruise, returning to a military port in Qingdao on the afternoon of October 24.
- Xi reaffirms China's commitment to peace and cooperation, urges upholding UN authority PLA Daily 26 Oct 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday reaffirmed China's commitment to the path of peaceful development and win-win cooperation, and called on the world to uphold the authority and standing of the United Nations (UN) and practice true multilateralism.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on October 26, 2021 PRC MofA 26 Oct 2021
- Xi-Macron phone call sets tone for China-France cooperation ahead of key climate summit Global Times 26 Oct 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday held a phone conversation with French President Emmanuel Macron, in which Xi specified a wide range of fields for cooperation, stressed that multiple major international events have demonstrated that France is correct in advocating the strategic autonomy of the European Union (EU) and expressed hope that France would play a positive role in China-EU relations.
- Amnesty International Closing Hong Kong Offices Amid Security Concerns VOA 26 Oct 2021 -- Amnesty International announced Monday it would shut its two offices in Hong Kong, citing concerns about the city's sweeping national security law.
- HK banks requested to disclose assets and properties of offenders of the National Security Law, not likely to affect status as international business center Global Times 26 Oct 2021 -- The Hong Kong Association of Banks has recently updated its documents to include new requirements under the National Security Law for Hong Kong, requesting banks to disclose clients' properties to law enforcement agencies if they learn the clients have been arrested or charged for crimes against national security.
- 2nd person in HK convicted under national security law for inciting secession; 'justified ruling signals deterrence' Global Times 26 Oct 2021 -- Ma Chun-man, a 31-year-old man with the nickname of "second generation Captain America" who constantly advocated for "Hong Kong independence" in anti-government movements has been convicted of inciting others to commit secession. A local judge will announce the sentence in November, Hong Kong media reported.
- China shutters China Unicom branch account after fried rice gag about Mao's son Radio Free Asia 26 Oct 2021 -- China's internet censors have shut down the social media account of a branch of the telecommunications giant China Unicom after it posted a recipe for egg fried rice to mark the Oct. 24 birthday of Mao Anying, son of late supreme leader Mao Zedong, who died in a U.S. bombing raid during the Korean War (1950-1953).
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list