Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
24 October 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Beijing tightens controls on inbound travel, cancels marathons amid external and internal pressures of COVID19 Global Times 24 Oct 2021 -- Beijing will tighten its management and control on personnel entering the city during the most critical phase as the capital reported five more confirmed infections and one silent carrier on Sunday amid duel pressure from external import and internal resurgences of COVID-19.
- Chinese city bordering Mongolia punishes six senior officials for slack response in latest COVID-19 outbreak Global Times 24 Oct 2021 -- The Chinese city of Ejin Banner, which borders Mongolia, announced harsh punishment on six officials including local health commission's heads on Saturday for their slack response and ineffective management since the COVID-19 broke out on October 17.
- NW China's Gansu suspends all tourism activities as COVID-19 cases surpass 40 Global Times 24 Oct 2021 -- Northwest China's Gansu Province has suspended all tourism activities in a circuit-breaker measure after spiking COVID-19 cases, with all tourists in Lanzhou, where most COVID-19 cases in the province were reported, required to stay in wherever place they were and being quarantined.
- Beijing's Changping district tightens epidemic prevention policy after reporting 10 COVID-19 cases in two days Global Times 24 Oct 2021 -- Beijing's Changping district, which reported 10 domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases in the past two days, has further tightened its epidemic prevention policy, with all chess and card rooms in the district closed and several pharmacies shutting down where epidemic prevention measures were not in place.
- Over 1.06 bln people in China complete COVID-19 vaccination People's Daily 24 Oct 2021 -- Over 1.06 billion people in China had completed their vaccination against COVID-19 as of Saturday, showed official figures unveiled Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 26 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 24 Oct 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Saturday reported 26 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Sunday.
- Taiwan, U.S. hold high-level meeting on U.N., int'l participation CNA 24 Oct 2021 -- Taiwan and the United States on Friday held a high level meeting on expanding Taiwan's participation at the United Nations and in other international organizations so that it can contribute to the world on global challenges.
- China sends new satellite for space debris mitigation technology verification Global Times 24 Oct 2021 -- China successfully launched Shijian-21 satellite into preset orbit via a Long March-3B carrier rocket from Xichang Satellite Launch Center in Southwest China's Sichuan Province on Sunday morning, which marked the 39th space launch of China space [including private sector] in 2021, tying with historical record of 39 launches set in 2018 and 2020.
- China launches Shijian-21 satellite People's Daily 24 Oct 2021 -- China successfully launched a new satellite from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China's Sichuan Province Sunday.
- China's first 10,000-ton class maritime patrol vessel Haixun 09 in use Global Times 24 Oct 2021 -- China commissioned its first 10,000-ton class maritime patrol vessel Haixun 09 with the most advanced technologies and strong comprehensive capability on Saturday, and the ship is expected to enhance the country's maritime traffic governance.
- Russia, China conduct first-ever joint naval patrols in Pacific Ocean Press TV 24 Oct 2021 -- Russian and Chinese warships have, for the first time, conducted joint patrols in the western part of the Pacific Ocean, the Russian defense ministry said.
- China adopts land borders law People's Daily 24 Oct 2021 -- China's top legislature on Saturday voted to adopt a new law on the protection and exploitation of the country's land border areas, which will take effect on Jan. 1, 2022.
- China's top legislature adopts multiple laws as standing committee session concludes People's Daily 24 Oct 2021 -- The Standing Committee of the National People's Congress (NPC), China's top legislature, adopted multiple laws including laws on family education promotion and land borders, and an amendment to the Audit Law, as it wrapped up a session on Saturday.
- China passes law to boost border protection amid standoff with India Press TV 24 Oct 2021 -- China has adopted a new law to strengthen border protection amid a prolonged standoff with India and security issues in neighboring Afghanistan.
- China strongly opposes British official's irresponsible remarks on HK affairs: embassy People's Daily 24 Oct 2021 -- A spokesperson for the Chinese Embassy in Britain on Friday voiced strong opposition to the "irresponsible remarks" recently made by British Foreign Secretary Liz Truss on Hong Kong affairs.
- China Steps Up Assimilation of Ethnic Minorities by Banning Languages in Schools VOA 24 Oct 2021 -- After experiments aimed at assimilating ethnic minorities in Tibet, Inner Mongolia and Xinjiang, the Chinese government now is moving to apply its cultural assimilation policy for managing all minority populations by eliminating classroom instruction in native languages.
- China to overhaul housing market Global Times 24 Oct 2021 -- China's decision to pilot five-year property tax levies in selected cities on Saturday drew wide attention and discussion, including reportedly resistance hyped up by some Western media outlets. However, Chinese experts said on Sunday that the new move will help ensure stable growth of China's economy and real estate market in the long run, as the country seeks to curb housing speculation, distribute wealth more evenly and pursue common prosperity for all, dismissing claims that a housing market collapse is looming.
- China to pilot property tax reforms People's Daily 24 Oct 2021 -- The Standing Committee of the National People's Congress (NPC), China's top legislature, on Saturday adopted a decision to authorize the State Council to pilot property tax reforms in certain regions.
- Thai Water Project Clears Major Hurdle After China Shows Interest VOA 24 Oct 2021 -- Thailand is moving forward on a controversial and long-pondered water diversion project after the plan drew interest from a major Chinese firm, a move that could give Beijing a new outpost for its sweeping Belt and Road Initiative.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list