Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
21 October 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- New Beijing COVID-19 case caused by Delta variant; city to offer residents booster shots Global Times 21 Oct 2021 -- Beijing on Thursday reported one newly confirmed COVID-19 case linked to the recent epidemic flare-up in Northwest China, which has been identified as caused by the Delta variant, local health authorities said.
- Lanzhou suspends all elementary, secondary schools after 4 new cases reported Global Times 21 Oct 2021 -- Lanzhou, Northwest China's Gansu Province, suspended all elementary and secondary schools from Thursday after reporting 4 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 from 16:00 on Tuesday to 16:00 on Wednesday.
- Trains and flights canceled in northern Chinese cities amid strengthened COVID-19 prevention and control measures Global Times 21 Oct 2021 -- Over 50 percent of flights and a dozen rail routes were canceled in northern Chinese provinces that have reported COVID-19 infections. China upgraded prevention and control measures after several areas in the country have reported domestically transmitted confirmed cases and asymptomatic patients since Sunday.
- Over 2.238 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 21 Oct 2021 -- More than 2.238 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Wednesday, data from the National Health Commission showed Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 13 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, 8 imported cases People's Daily 21 Oct 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 13 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Thursday.
- Hong Kong reports 4 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Oct 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported four new imported cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, taking the total tally to 12,305.
- Dread among Tibetans as 'butcher of Xinjiang' named new Tibet party boss Radio Free Asia 21 Oct 2021 -- The newly appointed Chinese Communist Party (CCP) boss in Tibet, a hardline apparatchik under multiple international sanctions for severe human rights abuses in neighboring Xinjiang, is expected to apply to Tibet's Buddhists the same harsh policies carried out against the Muslims in Xinjiang, Tibetans and experts said.
- EU, US send wrong signals on Taiwan, risking miscalculation Global Times 21 Oct 2021 -- With EU lawmakers pushing forward a resolution in deepening so-called "political and economic ties" with the island of Taiwan and the Biden administration's pick for ambassador to China vowing to make the island "a tough nut to crack," some European and US politicians have continued sending the wrong signals on the Taiwan question, creating a false image of West-led pressure on the Chinese government at a time when tensions have been rising in the Taiwan Straits.
- China expresses dissatisfaction with planned trip by Chinese Taipei min. to Europe Press TV 21 Oct 2021 -- China expresses strong dissatisfaction with a plan by Chinese Taipei's foreign minister Joseph Wu to visit Europe and make a virtual address to a forum in Rome next week.
- U.S.' China envoy pick decries 'unjust' bullying of Taiwan CNA 21 Oct 2021 -- The U.S.' presumptive ambassador to China said his government has "every right" to expand arms provisions to Taiwan in the face of military intimidation from Beijing.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on October 21, 2021 PRC MofA 21 Oct 2021
- US ambassador nominee's remarks full of Cold War and zero-sum mentality, inconsistent with facts: Chinese FM Global Times 21 Oct 2021 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry opposed the remarks of Nicholas Burns, who was nominated as US ambassador to China, saying his remarks were full of Cold War and zero-sum mentality and inconsistent with facts, after Burns smeared China's Xinjiang, Xizang and Taiwan policies at a hearing on Wednesday.
- China's claim to practice 'democracy' is bid to undermine concept: analysts Radio Free Asia 21 Oct 2021 -- Recent claims by Chinese leader Xi Jinping that China has its own brand of "democracy" are a bid to water down the concept, and minimize its ideological power against the authoritarian Chinese Communist Party (CCP), analysts told RFA.
- On the Continued Erosion of Freedoms in Hong Kong US Dept. of State 21 Oct 2021 -- The United States remains seriously concerned at the continued erosion of human rights and fundamental freedoms, including political participation, in Hong Kong.
- Foreign Secretary Statement on Hong Kong Councillors UK FCDO 21 Oct 2021 -- Foreign Secretary Liz Truss issued a statement today (21 October) on the disqualification of District Councillors in Hong Kong.
- Oaths by 16 HKSAR district council members announced invalid People's Daily 21 Oct 2021 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government on Thursday announced that oaths taken by 16 District Council (DC) members on Oct. 8 were invalid.
- Growing Numbers of Nations Criticize China's Treatment of Uyghurs VOA 21 Oct 2021 -- More than 40 countries expressed their concern in a formal statement Thursday at the United Nations about the situation of ethnic Uyghurs and other Turkic Muslims in China's semi-autonomous Xinjiang province.
- Joint statement on the human rights situation in Xinjiang UK FCDO 21 Oct 2021 -- Cross-regional statement delivered by France on behalf of 43 countries at the UN General Assembly Third Committee.
- Chinese government targets Uyghur children with 'pomegranate flower' policy Radio Free Asia 21 Oct 2021 -- The Chinese government is pairing up ethnic majority Han Chinese youths with Uyghur children in the latest phase of a coercive surveillance and assimilation program that Uyghurs say shows Beijing's genocidal intent toward the Muslim minority in the far-western Xinjiang region.
- Senators Query US Company About Uyghur Forced Labor VOA 21 Oct 2021 -- A bipartisan group of U.S. lawmakers is seeking answers from Arizona-based Universal Electronics Inc. (UEI) about its alleged role in using Uyghurs as forced laborers in China.
- China drops Caixin from list of news sources pre-approved to syndicate content Radio Free Asia 21 Oct 2021 -- China's internet regulator has updated a whitelist of pre-approved media organizations whose copy may be freely used by websites behind the Great Firewall, omitting the cutting-edge, privately owned Caixin Media.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list