Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 October 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Fresh COVID-19 flare-up in seven places likely 'imported through ports in Inner Mongolia' Global Times 20 Oct 2021 -- Virus that has triggered new outbreaks of COVID-19 linked to a tour group of seniors from Shanghai that have affected several regions of China likely stemmed from overseas, Chinese health experts said, as more than 20 positive cases linked to contacts of the group have been reported so far.
- NW China's Lanzhou closes all tourist attractions, discourages people from leaving as 6 more COVID-19 cases were reported Global Times 20 Oct 2021 -- Lanzhou in Northwest China's Gansu Province has requested residents not to leave the city if unnecessary, closed all tourist attractions and suspended operation of relatively closed spaces including Mahjong parlors and cinemas as the city reported six more positive cases on Wednesday.
- Chinese vice premier stresses accelerating COVID-19 drug research People's Daily 20 Oct 2021 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan has urged more efforts to accelerate the research and development of COVID-19 drugs and strive for breakthroughs so as to safeguard people's health.
- Over 2.236 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 20 Oct 2021 -- More than 2.236 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Tuesday, data from the National Health Commission showed Wednesday.
- Beijing reports one new COVID-19 case People's Daily 20 Oct 2021 -- Beijing reported one new confirmed COVID-19 case from Monday midnight to 1 p.m. on Tuesday, local health authorities announced at a press briefing.
- Chinese mainland reports 17 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Oct 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported 17 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Wednesday.
- China's Gansu reports no positive COVID-19 results in mass testing People's Daily 20 Oct 2021 -- Four cities in northwest China's Gansu Province have reported no positive COVID-19 results, as of 4 p.m. Tuesday, from their ongoing mass program of nucleic acid tests, according to the provincial government's information office.
- Romanian President Calls Meeting To Seek 'Urgent Action' As COVID Infections Soar RFE/RL 20 Oct 2021 -- Romanian President Klaus Iohannis has called a meeting of government officials on October 20 to "establish clear, restrictive measures" to reduce the spread of COVID-19 infections after the country hit daily records in both coronavirus infections and deaths.
- After sub accident, China demands US end free navigation ops Radio Free Asia 20 Oct 2021 -- China is demanding the United States stop its freedom of navigation operations in the South China Sea, and has accused the U.S. of a "stupid mistake" when one of its nuclear-powered submarines collide with an unidentified object this month.
- EU to engage with Taiwan despite China's pressure: European official CNA 20 Oct 2021 -- The European Union will further its engagement with Taipei at a time when China is ramping up its pressure on Taiwan and the island's partners, European Commission Executive Vice-President Margrethe Vestager said Tuesday.
- DPP's self-deceiving "int'l support" stunt doomed to failure: spokesperson People's Daily 20 Oct 2021 -- The attempts by Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authority to create a false narrative of "international support" for its "Taiwan independence" agenda are doomed to failure, Ma Xiaoguang, a spokesperson for the Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council, said Tuesday.
- CCP to tell world that China is 'standing up' under leader Xi Jinping Radio Free Asia 20 Oct 2021 -- The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) will pass a resolution at a top political meeting from Nov. 8-11, in what looks to be a defiant message to the international community that the country will continue to "stand up" to foreign oppression in its quest for "national rejuvenation."
- Report documents extensive grassroots policing of Uyghurs in Xinjiang Radio Free Asia 20 Oct 2021 -- Scores of Chinese government bodies are engaged in an elaborate whole-of-government campaign of repression targeting Muslim Uyghurs in northwestern China's Xinjiang region, according to report published this week by an Australian think tank.
- How LinkedIn China Outlasted Other US Tech Giants and Why It's Departing Now VOA 20 Oct 2021 -- American-born entrepreneur Danny Levinson estimates half of his LinkedIn connections come from inside China. He has been using the social media platform for four years and is involved in several China-based businesses that use LinkedIn as one of their primary communication channels.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list