Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
19 October 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Fresh COVID-19 flare-up in seven places likely 'imported through ports in Inner Mongolia' Global Times 19 Oct 2021 -- Virus that has triggered new outbreaks of COVID-19 linked to a tour group of seniors from Shanghai that have affected several regions of China likely stemmed from overseas, Chinese health experts said, as more than 20 positive cases linked to contacts of the group have been reported so far.
- Beijing districts kick off COVID-19 booster shots as winter approaches Global Times 19 Oct 2021 -- At least three districts of Beijing, Chaoyang, Dongcheng and Tongzhou, are beginning to offer COVID-19 vaccine booster shots to residents over 18 years old, joining at least 18 provincial-level regions in China's booster shots drive.
- Sinovac booster shot lifts protection to 80.2%, recommended within 8 months after full course Global Times 19 Oct 2021 -- The latest real-world observation data in Chile has shown that the third shot of the CoronaVac inactivated COVID-19 vaccine developed by Sinovac can clearly increase the strength of protection.
- Beijing reports one COVID-19 case, breaks record of no local cases in 70 days Global Times 19 Oct 2021 -- Southern Beijing's Fengtai District reported a COVID-19 infection coming from Northwest China's Gansu Province on Tuesday and has requested local residents not to leave if unnecessary. The newly confirmed case broke Beijing's record of no new local cases for over 70 days.
- Health authorities send teams to guide local anti-epidemic work amid extended domestic transmission chain as China reported 9 more local cases Global Times 19 Oct 2021 -- China's National Health Commission and National Bureau of Disease Control and Prevention have sent teams to North China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, Northwest China's Gansu Province, Shaanxi Province and the Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region, where new cases of COVID-19 have been reported, to guide the local epidemic prevention and control work as fears continue to mount that the chain of transmission may further extended.
- Over 2.234 bln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered on Chinese mainland People's Daily 19 Oct 2021 -- More than 2.234 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered on the Chinese mainland as of Monday, data from the National Health Commission showed Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 9 locally trasmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Oct 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported nine new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Tuesday.
- China sends COVID-19 task forces to 4 provincial-level regions People's Daily 19 Oct 2021 -- Task forces have been dispatched to four of China's provincial-level regions, including Inner Mongolia, Gansu, Shaanxi and Ningxia, to guide local COVID-19 response efforts.
- China revokes grazing permits for Tibetan nomads in Qinghai province Radio Free Asia 19 Oct 2021 -- Chinese authorities are revoking permits for Tibetan nomads in Qinghai province to use their traditional grazing lands, under a 50-year-old agreement that transfers ownership to the state, sources in the area told RFA.
- China's PLA Ramps Up Scale, Military Drills Duration Near Arunachal Pradesh, Indian General Warns Sputnik 19 Oct 2021 -- The 3,488-kilometre-long India-China border has never been clearly demarcated. The two Asian giants have been embroiled in a deadly standoff in the western section of the Line of Actual Control since last year.
- Indonesia takes cautious stance as China survey ship lingers Radio Free Asia 19 Oct 2021 -- A month and a half after a large Chinese survey vessel entered the Natuna Sea, Indonesia seems to still be pursuing a quiet, cautious approach at sea, despite public pressure.
- China demands US explain USS Connecticut's collision with 'unknown object,' questions intentions behind cover-up Global Times 19 Oct 2021 -- China is seriously concerned about the USS Connecticut's collision with an "unknown object" in international waters in the South China Sea, and said the US is obligated to explain the incident in detail, China's Ministry of National Defense said on Tuesday.
- Beijing Demands US Provide Full Details of Nuclear Submarine Incident Sputnik 19 Oct 2021 -- The Chinese Defense Ministry said on Tuesday it was gravely concerned over the recent incident with an American nuclear submarine in the Indo-Pacific and demanded that the United States provide full details of the accident soon.
- Taiwan closely watching China's latest weapon development: military CNA 19 Oct 2021 -- Taiwan is closely monitoring China's latest advanced weapon development, a military spokesman said Tuesday, in response to media reports that Beijing tested a nuclear-capable hypersonic missile earlier this year, raising concerns of the United States.
- China successfully tests 500-ton solid rocket engine Global Times 19 Oct 2021 -- Closely following the heart-stopping and spectacular launch of the Shenzhou-13 manned spacecraft on Saturday, China has made another breakthrough in its aerospace technology, as researchers at the Academy of Aerospace Solid Propulsion Technology (AASPT) announced on Tuesday they conducted a successful running test of a domestically developed solid rocket engine, with a thrust of more than 500 tons, in Xi'an, capital of Northwest China's Shaanxi Province, setting a world record in the field,
- US hypes 'nuclear threat' from China, Russia to legitimize absolute security and arms race Global Times 19 Oct 2021 -- Senior US officials and Western media have spared no efforts to hype the so-called "nuclear threat" from China, even after China clarified an inaccurate report about a "hypersonic missile test in August," as the test was about a reusable spacecraft, with the Chinese Foreign Ministry saying on Tuesday that the US is hyping the "China threat theory" to pursue absolute security and expand military power. Experts stressed that Washington is the one that should be held accountable for intensifying the arms race between major nuclear powers.
- Russia backs China's right to test hypersonic missiles Press TV 19 Oct 2021 -- The Russian government has backed China's reported test of a hypersonic missile, saying that the test did not breach any of Beijing's international obligations, posed no threat to Russia, and followed similar moves by the US.
- 'We Really Need a Wake-Up Call,' Rep. Gallagher Says on China's Defense Advancements Sputnik 19 Oct 2021 -- Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI), slammed the Biden administration after China reportedly tested a hypersonic missile with nuclear capabilities, and warned the US of falling behind Chinese defense advancements.
- Chinese, Russian warships' 1st joint patrol sails through Tsugaru Strait in line with intl law, 'could feature encirclement of Japan or approach US' Global Times 19 Oct 2021 -- Right after China and Russia wrapped up a joint naval exercise in the Sea of Japan on Sunday, 10 powerful warships from the two countries switched to the next mission and sailed through the Tsugaru Strait into the Pacific Ocean on Monday in their first joint maritime patrol, which experts said on Tuesday could see the joint task force encircle Japan or approach the US.
- China, Russia vessels sail through Tsugaru Strait for first time, Japan claims Press TV 19 Oct 2021 -- A group of Russian and Chinese naval vessels have for the first time on record sailed through a strait separating the Sea of Japan from the Pacific, Japan has claimed.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on October 19, 2021 PRC MofA 19 Oct 2021
- Hong Kong jails five students as row over Tiananmen sculpture intensifies Radio Free Asia 19 Oct 2021 -- A court in Hong Kong on Tuesday handed down jail terms of nearly five years to five students in connection with the siege by riot police of the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) in November 2019.
- China Names Former Xinjiang Security Chief as New Communist Party Chief in Tibet VOA 19 Oct 2021 -- Chinese state-run media says a high-ranking official sanctioned by the West for alleged human rights abuses in the country's far northwestern Xinjiang province has been selected by the ruling Communist Party to oversee Tibet.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list