Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
18 October 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese survey vessel leaves Malaysian waters 2 weeks after protest Radio Free Asia 18 Oct 2021 -- Chinese survey vessel Da Yang Hao has left Malaysia's waters, two weeks after the Malaysian Foreign Ministry summoned the Chinese ambassador to protest.
- US Watching China Closely After Reports of Hypersonic Missile Test VOA 18 Oct 2021 -- The top U.S. military official said Washington is paying close attention to China's efforts to build up its own military arsenal, although he declined to comment on reports that Beijing took a major step forward two months ago by testing a hypersonic missile.
- White House Declines to Comment on Report China Tested Nuclear-Capable Hypersonic Missile Sputnik 18 Oct 2021 -- White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki on Monday declined to comment on a report claiming that China tested a nuclear-capable hypersonic missile in August.
- China May Boost Accuracy of Its Hypersonic Weapons Via AI Technology, Report Says Sputnik 18 Oct 2021 -- Chinese PLA researchers are reportedly seeking to improve the accuracy of the country's hypersonic delivery systems via artificial intelligence, according to the South China Morning Post.
- China Denies Testing Nuclear-Capable Hypersonic Missile, Says It Was Space Vehicle Trial Sputnik 18 Oct 2021 -- The Financial Times earlier reported that the test of the alleged hypersonic glider vehicle by China this summer "caught the US government by surprise" as it purportedly demonstrated the great progress achieved by Beijing in this area.
- West-hyped 'nuclear-capable hypersonic missile' is a spacecraft in reusability test; peaceful use of space stressed: Chinese FM Global Times 18 Oct 2021 -- It was a routine spacecraft experiment to test the technology of spacecraft reusability, China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said on Monday, responding to the Western media hyping of what they claimed China's launch of a "nuclear-capable hypersonic missile" in August.
- China's routine space vehicle test 'a transparent act for peaceful use, not militarization' Global Times 18 Oct 2021 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Monday said the Financial Times-reported "China's test of new space capability with a hypersonic missile in August" was in fact a routine test of technology for reusing a space vehicle, and Chinese experts said that China has the right to test such technology for peaceful purpose regardless of how the US or the West demonizes it. If the US launches a space arms race, non-Western powers like China and Russia would be forced to turn their advanced capabilities into military use for strategic deterrence and self-defense, experts said.
- Taiwan's Tien Lung drill 'just a show' that will wear out its outmoded military Global Times 18 Oct 2021 -- The annual Tien Lung drill in Taiwan island aimed at bolstering its defense and morale was mocked by military experts as a show that will take a toll on its outmoded jets and wear out its pilots. They said it won't change the sharp military disparity between Taiwan and the Chinese mainland.
- China-Russia naval exercise enters stage of joint anti-submarine drills PLA Daily 18 Oct 2021 -- The China-Russia joint naval exercise, Joint Sea 2021, conducted round-the-clock anti-submarine drills in waters near Russia's Peter the Great Bay from October 16 to 17, local time, which was one of the highlights in this joint military event.
- 2nd Chinese peacekeeping helicopter contingent to Abyei sets out PLA Daily 18 Oct 2021 -- The 2nd Chinese peacekeeping helicopter contingent to Abyei left Shijiazhuang, North China's Hebei Province, on October 16, for a 12-month peacekeeping mission in Abyei of East Africa.
- China to promote national border and coastal defense infrastructure construction PLA Daily 18 Oct 2021 -- A meeting aims to promote national border and coastal defense infrastructure construction was held in China's Guangzhou from October 14 to 15.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on October 18, 2021 PRC MofA 18 Oct 2021
- Experts Split on Biden-Xi Role in Easing US-China Tensions VOA 18 Oct 2021 -- With Washington and Beijing agreeing in principle that their two top leaders will meet virtually before the end of 2021, analysts are divided on whether a meeting between President Joe Biden and President Xi Jinping is the only way to repair strained U.S.-China relations.
- China Seeks to Cement Ties in Europe VOA 18 Oct 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping aims to bolster relations in Europe, a traditional stronghold of support for the United States, as a buffer against shaky Sino-U.S. ties, analysts believe.
- Party plenary session eyes key resolution on historical experience; to look to future with 'bigger vision, greater unison' Global Times 18 Oct 2021 -- The sixth plenary session of the 19th Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee will be held in Beijing from November 8 to 11, during which a key resolution on the major achievements and historical experience of the Party's 100 years of endeavors will be reviewed.
- China Media Directives Reveal Granular Detail of State Censorship VOA 18 Oct 2021 -- The welcome committee for Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou was leaving nothing to chance: from the color of lettering on signs to orders on how to cover the deal that secured her return, state media were under strict instructions.
- China Seen Tightening Grip on Macao VOA 18 Oct 2021 -- China is tightening its grip on Macao, having incorporated the former Portuguese colony into a cooperation zone with Guangzhou, capital of China's Guangdong province, clamped down on casinos and manipulated a local parliamentary election.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list