Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
04 October 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- National Health Commission sends working group to Yili, Xinjiang, after detecting 2 silent cases Global Times 04 Oct 2021 -- The National Health Commission under China's State Council, the cabinet, has sent a working group to instruct the epidemic prevention work in Yili prefecture, Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, after two silent cases were detected there on Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 26 imported COVID-19 cases, 1 local infection People's Daily 04 Oct 2021 -- Sunday saw 26 imported COVID-19 cases and one locally-transmitted infection newly reported on the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Monday.
- Malaysia Calls in China Ambassador To Protest Ships in its EEZ Radio Free Asia 04 Oct 2021 -- Malaysia protested on Monday the presence of a large Chinese survey ship which sailed into its exclusive economic zone (EEZ) last week.
- Taliban Said To Have Rearmed Tajik Militants And Moved Uyghur Fighters From Chinese Border RFE/RL Gandhara 04 Oct 2021 -- The Taliban has provided Tajik militants based along the border with Tajikistan with new military vehicles, weaponry, and other equipment over the past two weeks, security sources in Tajikistan and northeastern Afghanistan say, amid an ongoing military buildup on both sides of the frontier.
- Taiwan: China Sends More Fighter Jets into Its Air Defense Zone VOA 04 Oct 2021 -- China dispatched at least 56 fighter jets into Taiwan's air defense zone on Monday, the island territory claimed, as it scrambled its own air force for the fourth straight day to ward off the intruding aircraft.
- 56 China military planes enter Taiwan's ADIZ, setting another record CNA 04 Oct 2021 -- A total of 56 Chinese military aircraft flew into Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) in two separate sorties on Monday, the highest-number in a single day since Taiwan began issuing a tally of such actions in September 2020, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Remarks on Taiwan-related Statement Issued by US State Department Spokesperson PRC MofA 04 Oct 2021
- US Calls on China to Stop Sending Planes, Vows to Stand by Taiwan Radio Free Asia 04 Oct 2021 -- The United States has hit out at "provocative" military action by China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) near the democratic island of Taiwan, which it says risks destabilizing the situation and undermines regional peace and stability.
- U.S. 'very concerned' by China's military pressure against Taiwan CNA 04 Oct 2021 -- The United States on Sunday expressed grave concern over China's increased military activity near Taiwan, in the wake of Beijing's deployment of a record number of military aircraft in Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) for three consecutive days.
- U.S. capable of 'tamping down' potential China invasion of Taiwan: U.S. official CNA 04 Oct 2021 -- Kathleen Hicks, Deputy Defense Secretary of the United States, said on Friday that her country has the capability of "tamping down" China's potential invasion of Taiwan.
- UPDATE: PLA sends 'record-breaking 56 aircraft near Taiwan island in a single day' in consecutive drills Global Times 04 Oct 2021 -- For the third time in just four days, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) again broke its record in the number of aircraft dispatched for drills near the island of Taiwan in a single day on Monday, sending a whopping 56 warplanes consisting mainly of fighters and bombers, a day after the US voiced "concern" over the Chinese mainland's military activity near the island, claiming it was provocative.
- Time to warn Taiwan secessionists and their fomenters: war is real: Global Times editorial Global Times 04 Oct 2021 -- The US State Department issued a statement on Sunday, saying the PLA was conducting intensive training exercises over Taiwan island's self-proclaimed southwest air defense identification zone in the past few days. The statement accused the PLA of carrying out "provocative military activities" that "undermines regional peace and stability", adding "the US commitment to Taiwan is rock solid." The Taiwan foreign affairs department immediately expressed gratitude to the Biden administration.
- Kazakh Rights Commissioner Meets People Demanding Release Of Relatives From Chinese Custody RFE/RL 04 Oct 2021 -- Kazakhstan's human rights commissioner, Elvira Azimova, has held a rare meeting with a group of people whose relatives are being held in custody in China's northwestern region of Xinjiang and who have asked for the Central Asian country's government to help secure their release.
- Blackouts in China Deprive North Korean Factory Workers of Hot Water and Light Radio Free Asia 04 Oct 2021 -- Rolling blackouts in northeastern China have deprived North Korean factory workers of hot water and light in their cramped dormitories, making their living and working conditions even more unbearable, sources in China told RFA.
- Background Press Call by Senior Administration Officials on the Administration's Trade Approach to China The White House 04 Oct 2021
- Hong Kong's security bureau stresses criminal liability after anti-China organization decides to disband People's Daily 04 Oct 2021 -- The Security Bureau of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said on Sunday that an organization and its members shall remain criminally liable for the offenses they have committed, notwithstanding its disbandment or the resignation of its members.
- China Probes Another High-Ranking Enforcer From 'Suspect' Domestic Security Apparatus Radio Free Asia 04 Oct 2021 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is investigating the second senior law enforcement figure for "serious violations of discipline" to make headlines in a week.
- China's Energy Crisis Puts Global Economic Recovery at Risk VOA 04 Oct 2021 -- Soaring prices for natural gas and electricity in Europe have caught international media attention in recent weeks but a pandemic-related energy crisis is also buffeting China, where coal stocks are perilously low.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list