Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
27 August 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- China specifies three groups for COVID-19 booster shots Global Times 27 Aug 2021 -- Experts are making further studies on whether to expand the availability of COVID-19 vaccine boosting shots to all people who have been fully vaccinated for six months, officials from China's National Health Commission told a press conference on Friday, during which they also specified three groups of people that can have the booster shots.
- Current COVID-19 outbreak in China controlled: health official People's Daily 27 Aug 2021 -- The latest COVID-19 outbreak in China has been controlled, a health official said Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported two new locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, one each in Shanghai and Jiangsu, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Friday.
- China strongly condemns Kabul airport terror attacks Global Times 27 Aug 2021 -- China strongly condemns and was shocked by the number of casualties in the terror attacks at Kabul airport in Afghanistan which has killed 103 people including 13 US service members and injured more than 140, said Zhao Lijian, spokesperson of Chinese Foreign Ministry at a regular press conference on Friday.
- China warns about 'severe' Afghan security situation in wake of Kabul attacks Press TV 27 Aug 2021 -- China has expressed concern about Afghanistan's "complex and severe" security situation in the wake of two deadly explosions near the Kabul airport, which came amid a chaotic US withdrawal from the country.
- China lodges firm representations with Japan over its security dialogue with DPP of Taiwan, whose illusion into external support 'will cut own throat' Global Times 27 Aug 2021 -- China on Friday expressed strong opposition to the first-ever security talks between the ruling parties of Japan and Taiwan island, and has lodged firm representations with Japan. Although the virtual dialogue was viewed as warming ties between Japan and the island, mainland experts warned that such attempts of self-comfort and catering to the US' Indo-Pacific strategy to contain the mainland may provoke a strong backlash from Beijing.
- Seeking "Taiwan independence" leads to dead end: spokesperson People's Daily 27 Aug 2021 -- A Chinese military spokesperson Thursday warned Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authority that seeking "independence" by military means will lead to a dead end.
- More Than Half of Americans Would Support Military Defense of Taiwan Radio Free Asia 27 Aug 2021 -- More than 50 percent of the American public would support U.S. military intervention to defend Taiwan against invasion by China, according to a recent opinion survey in the U.S.
- China voices support for Syria reconstruction, improving Syrians' livelihood Press TV 27 Aug 2021 -- Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang says his country attaches great importance to developing relations with Syria and is keen to support the Arab country in combating the coronavirus pandemic, improving the livelihood of its people and accelerating reconstruction.
- Ethnic Chinese Leaving North Korea Sign Pledge Not to Return Through 2023 Radio Free Asia 27 Aug 2021 -- Ethnic Chinese stranded in North Korea when the border was closed last year amid coronavirus concerns have been allowed by Pyongyang to return home, but only after promising not to return to the reclusive country before the end of 2023, sources say.
- China-Russia drill signals new era in joint exercises: spokesperson Global Times 27 Aug 2021 -- A joint military exercise between China and Russia, code-named ZAPAD/INTERACTION-2021, has charted the course for a new high-point in bilateral relations, opened new horizons for military drills between major countries, and explored new models for planning exercises together, a Chinese military spokesperson told a press conference on Thursday.
- China-Russia drill signals new era in joint exercises: spokesperson PLA Daily 27 Aug 2021 -- A joint military exercise between China and Russia, code-named ZAPAD/INTERACTION-2021, has charted the course for a new high-point in bilateral relations, opened new horizons for military drills between major countries, and explored new models for planning exercises together, a Chinese military spokesperson told a press conference on Thursday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 27, 2021 PRC MofA 27 Aug 2021
- Collaboration Between China, Russia Compounds Threat, Stratcom Commander Says DoD News 27 Aug 2021 -- During the Cold War, the U.S. faced one peer competitor, the Soviet Union. Today, Russia and China, both peer competitors, are seen as sometimes collaborating in opportunistic ways, the commander of U.S. Strategic Command said.
- China tries to keep calm as US steps up drills, Asia visits Press TV 27 Aug 2021 -- China has stressed its "indisputable" sovereignty over a series of islands in the South China Sea amid drills by the US and several other allies in an unprecedented show of force against Beijing.
- HK lawmaker who insulted national flag removed from LegCo, 'shows govt's commitment to restoring political life security in city' Global Times 27 Aug 2021 -- Cheng Chung-tai, a Hong Kong lawmaker, was removed from the Legislative Council (LegCo) on Thursday, after the vetting committee examined his qualifications and decided that he does not fit for the role which requires candidates to pledge allegiance and being loyal to Hong Kong, making him the first person to fail in the vetting process after the committee was established.
- Hong Kong Newspaper Treated as Agent of Foreign State in US Radio Free Asia 27 Aug 2021 -- The Department of Justice (DOJ) has ordered the U.S. subsidiary of a Hong Kong-based Chinese-language newspaper to register as a foreign agent, recent filings show.
- China ups rectification of 'fan circle' culture which distorts minors' values, endangers social governance Global Times 27 Aug 2021 -- China's cyberspace regulator on Friday enhanced rectification with specific measures over the sick parts of "fan circle" culture in the entertainment industry, tackling the long-controversial moves by teenage fans that blindly idolize celebrities, excessively spend money on their "idols," and exclude others, as distorted values within the circles have also bred cyberbullying and illegal fundraising.
- China's Ruling Party Extends Purge of Celebrities, Fan Culture Radio Free Asia 27 Aug 2021 -- China's internet regulator is cracking down on online celebrity and fan club culture, as a popular actress had all of her work removed from public view after being designated an "inferior artist."
- China's Crackdown on The Private Sector Raises Risks Radio Free Asia 27 Aug 2021 -- China's new measures to rein in property investment are raising questions about a wave of crackdowns on private enterprises, internet platforms and tech firms.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list