Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
18 August 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Shanghai hospital nurse confirmed as COVID-19 patient, with one community designated as medium-risk area Global Times 18 Aug 2021 -- A nurse from Shanghai Songjiang District Central Hospital was confirmed as having COVID-19 on Wednesday and has been transferred to Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center for quarantine and treatment, the Shanghai Municipal Health Commission announced on Wednesday evening.
- China approves emergency use of Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine for children aged 3-17 Global Times 18 Aug 2021 -- A COVID-19 vaccine developed and produced by Sinopharm's institute in Wuhan has been approved for emergency use on children aged between 3 and 17 by China's state authority, the China National Biotec Group (CNBG), a subsidiary of Sinopharm, announced via its official WeChat account on Wednesday.
- C China's Hubei Echeng district to include people who do not receive COVID-19 vaccine without reason in personal credit record Global Times 18 Aug 2021 -- The COVID-19 epidemic prevention and control command in Echeng district in Ezhou, Central China's Hubei Province, launched on Sunday the implementation of the COVID-19 vaccination "zero clearing" campaign, requiring all minors between 12 and 17 years old and adults over 18 years old without contraindications to be vaccinated within 10 days, claiming that those who do not have a valid reason to receive the vaccine will damage to their personal in integrity record.
- China exports oxygen to Russia to help treat COVID-19 patients Global Times 18 Aug 2021 -- China on Tuesday exported its first shipment of oxygen to Russia through the largest land border crossing to help treat COVID-19 patients in Russia.
- Over 1.88 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 18 Aug 2021 -- A total of over 1.88 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China as of Tuesday, data from the National Health Commission showed Wednesday.
- China's Zhengzhou downgrades COVID-19 risk level in six areas People's Daily 18 Aug 2021 -- Zhengzhou, the capital city of central China's Henan Province, has lowered the number of areas classified as medium-risk for COVID-19 transmission on Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 6 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 18 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese mainland Tuesday reported six new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases in Jiangsu Province, the National Health Commission said in its daily report Wednesday.
- China's Hunan clears COVID-19 risk areas except Zhangjiajie People's Daily 18 Aug 2021 -- Central China's Hunan Province has downgraded all its medium- or high-risk areas for COVID-19 except those in the city of Zhangjiajie after the province reported no new confirmed cases on Monday, the provincial health authorities said Tuesday.
- Researchers Jailed Over Github Stash of Pandemic Content Banned in China Radio Free Asia 18 Aug 2021 -- Two Chinese researchers who kept an online repository of banned articles on the coronavirus pandemic have been sentenced, then released, by a court in Beijing.
- Satellite Images Allegedly Show Chinese Infrastructure Upgrades in Region Contested by India Sputnik 18 Aug 2021 -- Satellite imagery of alleged Chinese roads and other infrastructure leading to the Depsang Plains have surfaced online, raising tensions between Beijing and Delhi.
- U.S. experts refute comments comparing Afghanistan and Taiwan CNA 18 Aug 2021 -- Although some Taiwanese critics have warned that the island could face a similar fate to that of the U.S.- supported government in Afghanistan if Washington abandons its commitment to Taiwan, American experts on Taiwan affairs on Tuesday dismissed such comments.
- U.S. national security advisor reaffirms commitment to Taiwan CNA 18 Aug 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden's national security advisor on Tuesday reaffirmed the United States' commitment to Taiwan amid concerns that the U.S. could abandon it and other U.S. allies to Chinese aggression or terrorists after the U.S. exit from Afghanistan.
- China may become more assertive after 2022 party congress: MAC CNA 18 Aug 2021 -- China is unlikely to dial down its "aggressive" foreign policy after next year's 20th Party Congress and could even emerge from the meeting with a more assertive approach toward Taiwan, according to an official with Taiwan's top agency for China affairs.
- Why the US will abandon island of Taiwan eventually: Global Times editorial Global Times 18 Aug 2021 -- On Wednesday, Taiwan's regional leader Tsai Ing-wen finally made a speech on the panic on the island triggered by Afghanistan's situation. She declared that Taiwan's only option is to make itself stronger, more united and more determined to defend itself. Just before Tsai's speech, US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan on Tuesday responded to whether the US will abandon Taiwan. He said that "When it comes to Taiwan, it is a fundamentally different question in a different context" and the US' "commitment" to Taiwan remains "as strong as it's ever been."
- China urges U.S. to honor agreements on Taiwan, stop arms sales People's Daily 18 Aug 2021 -- A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson urged the United States to abide by the provisions of the three China-U.S. joint communiques, sever military links with Taiwan and stop arms sales to the island.
- China urges US to honor pacts on Taipei, halt arms sales to island Press TV 18 Aug 2021 -- China has again called on the US to abide by the provisions of the Beijing-Washington communiques and halt military ties to Chinese Taipei, insisting that the island territory is an inalienable part of China.
- Chinese Hackers Used Cyber-disguising Technology Against Israel, Report Finds VOA 18 Aug 2021 -- A major cybersecurity firm says it believes Beijing-backed hackers carried out cyberattacks on Israel while pretending to be operating from Israel's archrival, Iran.
- China, Tajikistan conduct joint anti-terrorism drill amid regional changes after Afghan political reshuffle Global Times 18 Aug 2021 -- China and Tajikistan started a two-day joint anti-terrorism drill in Dushanbe on Wednesday, aiming to strengthen coordination of anti-terrorism forces of the two countries in the face of terrorism threats in the region.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 18, 2021 PRC MofA 18 Aug 2021
- Xi says China to expand cooperation with Iraq CNA 18 Aug 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping said Wednesday that China stands ready to work with Iran to push for steady and sustained development of their comprehensive strategic partnership.
- Raeisi calls China ties his pending govt.'s priority Press TV 18 Aug 2021 -- Speaking during a phone call made by Chinese President Xi Jinping, President Ebrahim Raeisi describes the Sino-Iranian relations as a priority for his pending government.
- Dissolution of anti-China group Civil Human Rights Front has nothing do to with freedom: Carrie Lam People's Daily 18 Aug 2021 -- Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said Tuesday that the dissolution of Civil Human Rights Front has nothing do to with freedom, and crimes committed by the anti-China group will not be exonerated by its dissolution.
- Hong Kong Police Arrest Four Students Over Motion Supporting Suicide Attacker Radio Free Asia 18 Aug 2021 -- Police on Wednesday arrested four former University of Hong Kong student union leaders for publicly mourning a man who carried out a suicide attack on a police officer.
- Hong Kong Students Arrested for 'Advocating Terrorism' VOA 18 Aug 2021 -- Four University of Hong Kong students were arrested Wednesday on suspicion of promoting terrorism after they publicly mourned a man who stabbed a police officer and then killed himself in July.
- 'To Save The Uyghurs Is to Save The World': Interview Radio Free Asia 18 Aug 2021 -- Nathan Duddles is an American scholar whose family has been hiking a nearly 500-mile-long trail in Colorado since July 12 to raise awareness of the human rights crisis involving Muslim Uyghurs in northwestern China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR). Duddles lived and taught in the XUAR and in neighboring Kazakhstan for nearly two decades, learning both Mandarin Chinese and the Uyghur language.
- Taliban Takeover Wins Mixed Reviews, Backlash on China's Internet Radio Free Asia 18 Aug 2021 -- The Taliban's takeover of Afghanistan has prompted mixed reactions on and offline in China, with some deploring attempts by online commentators to play down the Taliban's attitude to women, as the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) tried to present the victorious armed movement as a potential ally for Beijing.
- As Malaysia's surging COVID-19 cases hits chip supply, firms urged to shift production to China Global Times 18 Aug 2021 -- As surging COVID-19 cases in Malaysia disrupted the production of semiconductors and other key components, Chinese experts are suggesting that companies should move certain production lines to the Chinese mainland to ensure the smooth running of their facilities while meeting the huge demand.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list