Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
16 August 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- China sees daily cases fall for 5 days, reaching 'turning point' for latest resurgence Global Times 16 Aug 2021 -- China on Monday saw a fifth day of decreasing daily cases amid the country's latest COVID-19 resurgence. With main epidemic-stricken cities clearing infections or reporting declining numbers of new cases, experts said the latest outbreak, described as the most widespread since last year's outbreak in Wuhan, had reached a turning point and is expected to be tamed by the end of August.
- Shanghai residents expected to access public transportation and venues using a single QR code Global Times 16 Aug 2021 -- Shanghai residents are expected to use a single QR code for public transportation as well as when entering public venues; the city's health QR code and transportation QR codes will be integrated, Shanghai Municipal Transportation Commission announced on Monday.
- Chinese vice premier stresses strict measures against cluster COVID-19 People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- Chinese vice premier Sun Chunlan has stressed strict, scientific, and accurate measures to combat cluster COVID-19 infections.
- Over 1.86 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- Over 1.86 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Sunday, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 13 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported 13 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Monday.
- Over 1.85 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- Over 1.85 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Saturday, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- China aims to balance COVID-19 control, economic growth People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- While imposing strict measures including mass testing and widespread travel restrictions to contain the latest Delta variant outbreak, China, the world's second-largest economy, has continued to drive economic growth.
- More Chinese COVID-19 vaccines arrive in Thailand People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- Two batches of Chinese COVID-19 vaccines were flown to the Thai capital Bangkok on Sunday, boosting support to the Southeast Asian country's fight against its worst-ever wave of the coronavirus outbreak.
- US Diplomat's Meeting with Tibetan Exile Representative in India Riles China Radio Free Asia 16 Aug 2021 -- U.S. Charge d'Affaires Atul Keshap, the senior diplomat in the U.S. Embassy in India, met last week with a representative of Tibet's exile government, disregarding Chinese protests that the meeting represents interference in China's internal affairs.
- Chinese Police Stop Tibetan Travelers, Pushing One Into River and Shooting Another Radio Free Asia 16 Aug 2021 -- Police in western China's Qinghai province stopped a group of Tibetans traveling on the road in a random search on Sunday, pushing one who objected to the search into a river where he later died, and shooting another who attempted to intervene, Tibetan sources said.
- China ends fishing moratorium in South China Sea, foreign media speculation rejected Global Times 16 Aug 2021 -- The summer fishing moratorium has ended in the South China Sea, with thousands of fishing boats from South China's Guangdong, Fujian and Hainan setting off on Monday.
- China respects Afghans' choice, expects Taliban to keep its words of establishing inclusive govt Global Times 16 Aug 2021 -- China hopes that the Taliban can implement its previous commitments and ensure a smooth transition of power in Afghanistan, said spokesperson of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs Hua Chunying at a Monday news conference.
- China respects the choice and will of the Afghan people: MFA Global Times 16 Aug 2021 -- China will respect the choice and will of the Afghan people, spokesperson Hua Chunying from China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) said Monday in a daily press conference in response to the situation in Afghanistan.
- China says ready to establish 'friendly, cooperative ties' with Afghanistan under Taliban Press TV 16 Aug 2021 -- China says it is ready to deepen "friendly and cooperative" relations with Afghanistan in the wake of the Taliban's takeover of Kabul.
- China says respects choices of Afghan people, calls for smooth transition People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- China respects the choices of the Afghan people and hopes for a smooth transition in the Afghan situation, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Monday.
- China Eyes Post-War Reconstruction in Afghanistan Amid Promises of Peace From Taliban Radio Free Asia 16 Aug 2021 -- China stands poised to take part in post-war reconstruction in Afghanistan after U.S. troops ended a 20-year occupation, leaving the capital Kabul to be taken over by the Taliban, state media reported on Monday.
- Beijing in Contact With Taliban Over Situation in Afghanistan Sputnik 16 Aug 2021 -- China is in touch with the Taliban* and other political forces over the ongoing situation in Afghanistan, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said on Monday.
- China's special envoy for Afghanistan meets with Zarif in Tehran IRNA 16 Aug 2021 -- China's special envoy for Afghanistan affairs meets with Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in Tehran on Monday.
- Zarif holds talks with Chinese envoy over developments in Afghanistan Press TV 16 Aug 2021 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Javad Zarif has held talks with China's special representative for Afghanistan affairs Yue Xiaoyong in Tehran over the latest developments in the Central Asian nation in the wake of Taliban's takeover of the capital Kabul.
- Afghan abandonment a lesson for Taiwan's DPP: Global Times editorial Global Times 16 Aug 2021 -- The US troops' withdrawal from Afghanistan has led to the rapid demise of the Kabul government. The world has witnessed how the US evacuated its diplomats by helicopter while Taliban soldiers crowded into the presidential palace in Kabul. This has dealt a heavy blow to the credibility and reliability of the US.
- Exercise ZAPAD/INTERACTION-2021: 265 tons of ammunition fired in 45 minutes PLA Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- Exercise ZAPAD/INTERACTION-2021 entered the final stageâ€“---the live-fire exercise on August 13. During the drill, the Chinese and Russian participating forces carried out joint counter-terrorism operations focusing on responding to traditional security threats. New forces and asymmetric combat methods were used to form a powerful joint strike capability against the mock enemy. In this drill, more than 10,000 soldiers, 200-plus armored vehicles, and over 100 aircrafts from both side were invovled.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on August 16, 2021 PRC MofA 16 Aug 2021
- Press release on Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's telephone conversation with Foreign Minister of the People's Republic of China Wang Yi Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 16 Aug 2021 -- On August 16, Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov had a telephone conversation with Minister of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China Wang Yi.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with People's Republic of China State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi US Dept. of State 16 Aug 2021
- Hong Kong Protest Organizer Disbands After Criticisms in Beijing-Backed Media Radio Free Asia 16 Aug 2021 -- Hong Kong's Civil Human Rights Front (CHRF), which once organized annual mass rallies on July 1 marking the 1997 handover of the city to Beijing, announced it would disband at the weekend following repeated denunciations by media backed by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
- China's top legislature may discuss adding anti-sanctions law to HK legislation: source Global Times 16 Aug 2021 -- China's top legislature will likely discuss including the Anti-Foreign Sanctions Law into the Annex III of the Hong Kong Basic Law in a meeting this week, a source confirmed with the Global Times on Monday.
- Anti-China group Civil Human Rights Front will never escape punishment: spokesperson People's Daily 16 Aug 2021 -- A central government spokesperson of China on Sunday said the illegal organization Civil Human Rights Front in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) must be investigated and punished severely in accordance with the law.
- Hong Kong's Population Falls For Second Year Running Amid Exodus Radio Free Asia 16 Aug 2021 -- Hong Kong's population fell by 1.2 percent in the past 12 months, amid an ongoing exodus of people in the wake of a draconian national security law imposed on the city by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) from July 1, 2020.
- Children of Detained Uyghur Parents Held in 'Welfare Schools' in China's Xinjiang Radio Free Asia 16 Aug 2021 -- More than 80 percent of the Uyghur children at a village preschool in China's far-western Xinjiang have at least one parent in state custody, while pupils with both parents in detention attend a separate "welfare school" where they are continuously monitored, RFA has learned.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list