Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
11 August 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese cities speed up vaccination for teenagers preparing for new semester Global Times 11 Aug 2021 -- Amid COVID-19 resurgence in multiple provinces across China, many cities are promoting large-scale vaccination campaigns for minors aged 12-17 on a voluntary basis during the summer holiday, in a bid to ensure that the new semester starts normally in early September.
- Over 1.8 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 11 Aug 2021 -- More than 1.8 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Tuesday, the National Health Commission (NHC) said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 83 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 11 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported 83 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, including 54 in Jiangsu Province, 14 in Hubei, seven in Henan, five in Hunan, two in Yunnan and one in Beijing, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Wednesday.
- China intensifies hospital-acquired COVID-19 infection control People's Daily 11 Aug 2021 -- China has stepped up efforts to prevent COVID-19 infections at hospitals as the country is reining in a resurgence of locally transmitted cases.
- China strengthens nucleic acid testing People's Daily 11 Aug 2021 -- Requirement and measures have been issued in China to strengthen nucleic acid testing amid a resurgence of COVID-19 in multiple localities.
- China's State Broadcaster Takes Down Virus Article Outed as 'Fake News' Radio Free Asia 11 Aug 2021 -- Some Chinese state media outlets have removed a report on the origins of the coronavirus that caused the COVID-19 pandemic that cited a "Swiss biologist" after the Swiss embassy said there was no such person.
- Bangladesh receives Chinese COVID-19 vaccines through COVAX facility People's Daily 11 Aug 2021 -- Bangladesh has received another batch of Chinese COVID-19 vaccine doses shipped via the COVAX Facility.
- Tibetan Students Offered Military Training For a Break on School Fees Radio Free Asia 11 Aug 2021 -- Tibetan students ages 18-21 are being offered reimbursement of their school fees in exchange for enrolling in a two-year course of military training, as tensions continue to rise along the region's border with India, Tibetan sources say.
- Chinese Authorities in Tibet Cancel Annual Horse Race Festival Over COVID Concerns Radio Free Asia 11 Aug 2021 -- Chinese authorities in Tibet have arrested 110 Tibetans on suspicion of sharing videos of preparations for a local horse racing festival they ordered canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, sources in Tibet told RFA.
- Beijing's spat with Lithuania could affect EU-China ties: spokeswoman CNA 11 Aug 2021 -- The European Union (EU) has called China's recall of its ambassador to Lithuania amid a dispute over the EU member state's approach to Taiwan regrettable and said it could affect EU-China relations.
- U.S. backs Lithuania in spat with China over Taiwan office CNA 11 Aug 2021 -- The U.S. State Department on Tuesday said it "stand(s) in solidarity" with Lithuania amid a dispute with China over the Baltic state's decision to allow Taiwan to open a representative office there using the name "Taiwan."
- Mainland spokesperson warns against DPP's collusion with external forces to seek "independence" People's Daily 11 Aug 2021 -- Any attempt by Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authority to seek "Taiwan independence" by colluding with external forces is futile and doomed to fail, a Chinese mainland spokesperson said on Wednesday.
- DPP's collusion with external forces will hurt their own interests: spokesperson People's Daily 11 Aug 2021 -- The Democratic Progressive Party authority's collusion with external forces to seek "Taiwan independence" will only end up hurting their own interests, a Chinese mainland spokesperson said Tuesday.
- Commentary: Lithuania playing with fire on Taiwan People's Daily 11 Aug 2021 -- Lithuania is playing with fire by violating the one-China principle regarding Taiwan.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Remarks on China's Recall of its Ambassador to Lithuania PRC MofA 11 Aug 2021
- Statement by the Prime Minister on the verdict of Michael Spavor Canda - Prime Minister 11 Aug 2021
- Sentencing of Canadian Citizen Michael Spavor US Dept. of State 11 Aug 2021 -- "We stand with the international community in calling for the People's Republic of China (PRC) to release, immediately and unconditionally, Canadian citizens Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig."
- China Jails Canadian Businessman Michael Spavor For 11 Years on 'Spying' Charges Radio Free Asia 11 Aug 2021 -- Another Canadian national detained by the Chinese authorities days after the arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver has been handed an 11-year jail term by a court in the northeastern province of Liaoning on spying charges.
- China Sentences Canadian to 11 Years on Spying Charges VOA 11 Aug 2021 -- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the 11-year prison sentence handed down by a Chinese court to businessman Michael Spavor is "absolutely unacceptable and unjust."
- US Calls on China to Release 'Immediately and Unconditionally' Canadians Accused of Spying Sputnik 11 Aug 2021 -- Earlier, Canadian Michael Spavor was sentenced to 11 years in prison by a Chinese court on spying charges.
- EU Says China Breached Canadian Spy Convict Spavor's Right to Fair Trial Sputnik 11 Aug 2021 -- The European Union accused China on Wednesday of flouting international human rights laws when trying Canadian businessman Michael Spavor on spying charges.
- Canadian businessman jailed for 11 years for spying in verdict showing China's resolve to safeguard judicial integrity Global Times 11 Aug 2021 -- A court in China on Wednesday sentenced Canadian businessman Michael Spavor to 11 years for foreign espionage and the illegal provision of state secrets, a day after the death sentence of a convicted Canadian drug trafficker was upheld, in what analysts called a clear show of China's resolve and determination to safeguard its independent judicial system and national interests despite baseless attacks and mounting pressure from the West.
- China hands Canadian 11-year jail term, raising Ottawa's ire Press TV 11 Aug 2021 -- Tensions continue to simmer between Beijing and Ottawa over judicial trials involving the citizens of both countries, as a court in China has handed a lengthy prison term to a Canadian businessman for espionage, triggering an angry response from Canada.
- Hong Kong to amend bill to ban online insults to Chinese national flag, emblem Global Times 11 Aug 2021 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government introduced a draft amendment to the National Flag and National Emblem Bill to the Legislative Council (LegCo) on Wednesday. The bill would ban online insults to the Chinese national flag or emblem, and extend the prosecution to up to two years, local media said.
- Carrie Lam supports adopting anti-foreign sanctions law in Hong Kong People's Daily 11 Aug 2021 -- Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said Tuesday that the HKSAR government supports the inclusion of the anti-foreign sanctions law in Annex III to the HKSAR Basic Law.
- Hong Kong Professional Teachers' Union decides to disband People's Daily 11 Aug 2021 -- The Hong Kong Professional Teachers' Union (PTU), a group that has long engaged in anti-China and trouble-making activities, said Tuesday that it has decided to disband and has stopped recruiting new members or extending memberships with immediate effect.
- Banning Mongolian From Kindergartens Part of China's 'Cultural Genocide': Activists Radio Free Asia 11 Aug 2021 -- Plans by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) to extend compulsory Mandarin teaching to preschoolers across the country are part of an ongoing process of "cultural genocide" in the northern region of Inner Mongolia and in other regions of China with specific cultures, commentators told RFA on Wednesday
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list