Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
10 August 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- COVID-19 resurgence in China sees 100 daily cases again after half year, to be controlled 'before end of August' Global Times 10 Aug 2021 -- Amid the latest COVID-19 outbreaks fueled by the Delta variant, China's locally transmitted COVID-19 cases reached 108 on Monday, the first time to exceed 100 new local cases on a single day in more than six months.
- Over 1.79 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 10 Aug 2021 -- Over 1.79 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Monday, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 108 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 108 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, including 50 in Jiangsu Province, 37 in Henan, 15 in Hubei and six in Hunan, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Tuesday.
- Over 70 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in Hubei People's Daily 10 Aug 2021 -- A total of about 70.59 million COVID-19 vaccine doses have been administered in central China's Hubei Province, local authorities said on Tuesday.
- China works to make COVID-19 vaccines more available in developing countries People's Daily 10 Aug 2021 -- China has been striving to make COVID-19 vaccines more available in developing countries, and has already provided more than 770 million doses of vaccines and concentrates to the world.
- Cyber firm claims China hacked Israeli firms; Beijing reacts with criticism Press TV 10 Aug 2021 -- A US-based cybersecurity firm says China's intelligence has most likely been behind a "coordinated" cyberattack against dozens of Israeli organizations, a claim dismissed by Beijing as "baseless" and politically motivated.
- China's Likely Responses to European and Indian Warships in Sea it Calls its Own VOA 10 Aug 2021 -- A series of voyages by multiple Western allies in mid-2021 through a disputed Asian sea will incite China, the waterway's largest claimant, to shadow the foreign ships, hit back at the countries behind them and possibly hold a live-fire drill, analysts say.
- US 'not qualified' to make remarks on issue of South China Sea: Chinese envoy Global Times 10 Aug 2021 -- The US has become the biggest threat to peace and stability in the South China Sea by arbitrarily sending advanced military vessels and aircraft to the region as provocations. The country itself is not qualified to make any remarks on the issue of the South China Sea, said a Chinese envoy.
- China says U.S. not qualified to make irresponsible remarks on South China Sea issue People's Daily 10 Aug 2021 -- China said on Monday the United States is not qualified to make irresponsible remarks on the issue of South China Sea.
- Chinese envoy says US biggest threat to security in South China Sea after Blinken's 'bully' remarks Press TV 10 Aug 2021 -- A UN Security Council meeting on maritime security has turned into a scene of a heated exchange between Chinese and American officials, with the Chinese envoy taking the US to task for threatening peace in the South China Sea, after the US secretary of state accused Beijing of using bullying tactics.
- Beijing Calls US Biggest Threat to South China Sea Security as Blinken Accuses PRC of 'Bullying' Sputnik 10 Aug 2021 -- China and other nations with maritime claims in the South China Sea began negotiations on a code of conduct for the region in the early 2000s. In 2010, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton classified the body of water as a matter of "US national interest" and voiced military and diplomatic support for local nations in their claims against Beijing.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson's Statement on China's Decision to Recall its Ambassador to Lithuania PRC MofA 10 Aug 2021
- Taiwan lauds Lithuania for standing up to China CNA 10 Aug 2021 -- Taiwan lauded Lithuania for standing up to China on Tuesday after Beijing recalled its ambassador from the country for allowing Taiwan to open a representative office there using the name "Taiwan."
- China recalls ambassador to Lithuania in rare countermeasure on Taiwan question; possible 'diplomatic cut-off' not ruled out: experts Global Times 10 Aug 2021 -- China announced it will recall its ambassador to Lithuania and demanded that the Lithuanian government recall its ambassador to China, as a countermeasure in response to the Eastern European country's act to allow the separatist Taiwan authorities to open a "representative office" under the name of "Taiwan" - a move which severely undermines China's sovereignty and territorial integrity, and openly violates the spirit of the communiquÃ© on the establishment of China-Lithuania diplomatic ties.
- China asks Lithuania to recall envoy over decision to allow Taipei to open embassy in Vilnius Press TV 10 Aug 2021 -- China has called on Lithuania to withdraw its ambassador from Beijing and said it would recall its own envoy to the Lithuanian capital in protest at the Baltic state's decision to allow Chinese Taipei to open a de facto embassy in Vilnius.
- New equipment account for 81.6% in Zapad/Interaction-2021: Chinese commander PLA Daily 10 Aug 2021 -- On August 9, the China-Russia joint exercise Zapad/Interaction-2021 officially kicked off. In the next few days, the Chinese and Russian participating troops would conduct mixed grouping, joint planning and implementation of joint field training against the background of jointly safeguarding regional security and stability. Lieutenant General Liu Xiaowu, deputy commander of the PLA Western Theater Command and commanding officer of the Chinese participating troops, introduced the highlights of the exercise in detail in an interview.
- Field Air-defense System in action during China-Russia joint exercise PLA Daily 10 Aug 2021 -- The field air-defense system was seen in action during the ongoing China-Russia joint military exercise code-named ZAPAD/INTERACTION-2021 in northwestern China.
- China, Russia kick off joint military drills showing combined combat capability PLA Daily 10 Aug 2021 -- A China and Russia joint exercise code-named ZAPAD/INTERACTION-2021 kicked off on Monday in Qingtongxia in northwest China's Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region.
- Russian, Chinese forces kick off massive joint military drills in Ningxia Press TV 10 Aug 2021 -- Russia and China are taking part in massive joint military drills in China's north-central region of Ningxia, in what is widely viewed as the two superpowers' intention to boost their operational capabilities vis-a-vis the United States.
- Commander Offers Strategies for Deterring Aggression From China and Russia DoD News 10 Aug 2021 -- The commander of North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command described threats from Russia and China and ways to mitigate those threats.
- Hong Kong leader favors adopting China law to respond to foreign sanctions Press TV 10 Aug 2021 -- Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam has thrown her weight behind the adoption of a law introduced by Beijing to uphold the territory's sovereignty in the face of foreign interference and sanctions.
- Hong Kong Teachers' Union Disbands After Denunciation in People's Daily Radio Free Asia 10 Aug 2021 -- Hong Kong's largest teachers' union announced it would disband on Tuesday following a growing number of attacks from pro-Beijing newspapers, among dozens of civil society groups to do so since the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) imposed a draconian national security law on the city from July 1, 2020.
- Chinese Court Upholds Death Sentence For Canadian National Radio Free Asia 10 Aug 2021 -- A Chinese court on Tuesday upheld a death sentence handed to Canadian national Robert Schellenberg for drug offenses amid an ongoing extradition hearing for Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou that resulted in warnings of "consequences" from Beijing.
- As Activists Increase Pressure, Beijing Olympics Sponsors Remain Largely Silent VOA 10 Aug 2021 -- With the pandemic-delayed Tokyo Summer Olympics finally in the books, human rights activists are gearing up to put pressure on the companies that have taken high-profile sponsorship roles in the upcoming 2022 Winter Games in Beijing.
- China and Cambodia Urged to Rethink Dam Compensation Packages VOA 10 Aug 2021 -- A Chinese electricity company and the Cambodian and Chinese governments are being urged to review compensation packages for Indigenous and ethnic minority communities after a Human Rights Watch report found their lives had been undermined by dam construction.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list