Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
04 August 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Shenzhen Kangtai says vaccine effective against Delta variant Global Times 04 Aug 2021 -- The COVID-19 vaccine produced by Shenzhen Kangtai Biological Products can protect against various mutations of the novel coronavirus, including the increasingly dominant Delta variant, the company told the Global Times on Wednesday.
- Risk areas in latest COVID-19 surge reach highest number since outbreak in Wuhan Global Times 04 Aug 2021 -- China had 153 medium- or high-risk COVID-19 areas as of 6 pm on Wednesday, the highest number since the nation's epidemic prevention and control situation was normalized after the outbreak in Wuhan was basically contained in April 2020, according to National Health Commission (NHC).
- Beijing reports 3 new infections, all close contacts under quarantine; patient's residential compound sealed Global Times 04 Aug 2021 -- Beijing reported three confirmed COVID-19 infections on Wednesday, two are family members of a patient confirmed on Sunday in Fangshan district and one Chaoyang district resident who had took the same flight with the patient.
- Macao to close amusement venues, second time since epidemic began Global Times 04 Aug 2021 -- Starting from Thursday, Macao Special Administrative Region will close some of its amusement venues after four COVID-19 infections were discovered. This marks the second time the city has shut down its amusement facilities since the epidemic began.
- Vaccines effective solution against Delta strain, China confident in containing COVID-19: top epidemiologist Zhang Wenhong Global Times 04 Aug 2021 -- The latest local coronavirus case reported at Shanghai Pudong International Airport on Tuesday was infected by the imported Delta variant after gene sequencing as the patient, an airport foreign cargo terminal staff member, was exposed to a COVID-19 contaminated environment, Wu Jinglei, director of Shanghai Health Commission said at a press conference held in Shanghai on Wednesday.
- Tianjin carries out nucleic acid testing for employees and surrounding residents of railway stations Global Times 04 Aug 2021 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality, a city near Beijing, has carried out nucleic acid testing for employees and surrounding residents of the city's two railway stations, Tianjin Railway Station and Tianjin West Railway Station, starting from Wednesday.
- China's flood-hit Zhengzhou expands lockdown area amid new COVID-19 surge Global Times 04 Aug 2021 -- Zhengzhou, Central China's Henan Province, expanded lockdown area of residential communities and escalated epidemic control as the local outbreak continues to spread within the city. The city is just recovering from a severe flood disaster which caused nearly 300 deaths in the capital city.
- Wuhan COVID-19 surge caused by Delta variant, as city seals off 16 communities Global Times 04 Aug 2021 -- The COVID-19 flare-up in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province, is caused by the Delta variant, and the virus sequencing is highly similar to that from the epidemic outbreak in East China's Jiangsu, Wuhan health authorities said on Wednesday.
- Zhangjiajie punishes 20 officials, management personnel responsible for latest COVID-19 spike Global Times 04 Aug 2021 -- Tourist city Zhangjiajie in Central China's Hunan Province, which has become the latest hot spot of COVID-19 infections, punished 20 officials and public post holders for slack response in dealing with the epidemic flare-up.
- Over 1.7 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 04 Aug 2021 -- With new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases reported in multiple regions, strict anti-epidemic measures were urged, especially concerning imported cases and key locations which are currently vulnerable to spreading the virus.
- Chinese mainland reports 71 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 04 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported 71 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Wednesday.
- China's Wuhan launches citywide COVID-19 testing People's Daily 04 Aug 2021 -- Wuhan City, capital of central China's Hubei Province, launched another citywide COVID-19 nucleic acid testing campaign on Tuesday, according to a press conference held by the provincial COVID-19 prevention and control headquarters.
- Lax management leads to COVID-19 infections at Nanjing airport People's Daily 04 Aug 2021 -- Lax daily management is the main reason for the COVID-19 cases at the Nanjing Lukou International Airport in east China's Jiangsu Province, said an official with the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC).
- China's Zhangjiajie tightens measures to contain COVID-19 People's Daily 04 Aug 2021 -- All the people in the central Chinese city of Zhangjiajie, including residents and tourists, are not allowed to leave the city from Tuesday as part of efforts to curb the latest resurgence of COVID-19, said the municipal headquarters on COVID-19 prevention and control.
- China strengthens efforts to curb Delta outbreak People's Daily 04 Aug 2021 -- China has stepped up efforts to contain a new cluster of COVID-19 infections, with 328 new locally transmitted confirmed cases registered in July.
- China imposes massive travel restrictions to combat Delta outbreak People's Daily 04 Aug 2021 -- China has imposed massive travel restrictions, including temporary closure of airports and travel alerts for citizens to other places across the country, to contain the spread of the Delta variant.
- UAE approves use of Chinese Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine for 3-17 age group Global Times 04 Aug 2021 -- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) announced on Monday the approval of Chinese Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine for children aged 3-17 in the country after its efficacy in that age group has been verified, Reuters reported.
- Tibetan Students Forced to Take Military Training During Summer Break Radio Free Asia 04 Aug 2021 -- Schoolchildren in Tibet are being forced by Chinese authorities into programs of military training during summer vacation in a move aimed at weakening their ties to their own culture and further indoctrinating them in the ideology of China's ruling Communist Party, Tibetan sources say.
- Lhasa-Nyingchi Railway hosts its first military transport mission Global Times 04 Aug 2021 -- The newly opened Lhasa-Nyingchi Railway in Southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region recently hosted its first military transport mission, a move analysts said on Wednesday served as a boost to the capability of the People's Liberation Army (PLA).
- China rolls out extra-large tank parts and liquid booster engine for new heavy-lift carrier rocket Global Times 04 Aug 2021 -- Experts have hailed the development of China's super-heavy-lift Long March-9 carrier rocket as a milestone, as the country's first 9.5-meter-diameter rocket tank bottom and the liquid booster engine were rolled out in recent days.
- U.S. Will Continue to Operate in South China Sea to Ensure Prosperity for All DoD News 04 Aug 2021 -- There's a variety of concerns that keep Indo-Pacom on its toes â€” many centered around the activities of China, which quite often don't match up with the words that come out of Beijing, its commander said.
- India deploys warships to South China Sea, joining US in countering China Press TV 04 Aug 2021 -- India has deployed warships to the South China Sea in what New Delhi proclaims to be a bid to expand security ties with "friendly countries" and in an apparent move to join and play a bigger role in a US-led scheme to counter China near Chinese territorial waters.
- CHINESE THREAT AT THE COASTAL REGION India PIB 04 Aug 2021 -- India's relations with its neighbours stand on their own and are independent of the relations of those countries with third countries.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson's Remarks on US Announcement of Sanctions against Cuba PRC MofA 04 Aug 2021
- Chinese Media Impressed by Russia's S-500, Says 'Worth Studying' Possible Purchase for PLA Sputnik 04 Aug 2021 -- Russia's Ministry of Defence released the first-ever video footage of the S-500 surface-to-air missile system last month. The first S-500s will be introduced into Moscow region's air defence troops once combat trials are wrapped up.
- China Launches Campaign Against 'Fake News' Amid Flood Row With BBC Radio Free Asia 04 Aug 2021 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has launched a campaign against "fake news" that will mostly target online content, and will likely extend to Hong Kong.
- Court in China's Anhui Jails Rights Activist Over Foreign Funding Radio Free Asia 04 Aug 2021 -- Authorities in the eastern Chinese province of Anhui have jailed a rights activist and citizen journalist for three-and-a-half years on public order charges for getting overseas funding and providing information to human rights groups.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list