Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
03 August 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson's Remarks on Disinformation about COVID-19 Origins Tracing Disseminated by US Congressmen PRC MofA 03 Aug 2021
- China's Wuhan Orders Mass Testing of 10 Million People Amid Delta Wave Radio Free Asia 03 Aug 2021 -- Authorities in the central Chinese city of Wuhan -- where the coronavirus pandemic first emerged in late 2019 -- on Tuesday announced mass COVID-19 testing amid a resurgence of cases.
- Nanjing, Yangzhou suspend road traffic, flights amid soaring outbreak Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- Starting from midnight Tuesday, the city of Yangzhou in East China's Jiangsu Province has put all communities in the main urban area under closed management, while continuing its strict control of access routes to and out of the area to contain further spread of the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Gateways to China enhance 'firewalls' against Delta variant, cold-chain transmission remains in focus Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- As authorities in Nanjing said Tuesday that 44 percent of the confirmed COVID-19 cases in the city can be connected to staff at the Lukou international airport, the worst outbreak in China since that in Wuhan in 2020, the spotlight is again focused on Chinese ports and airports that have been at the frontline in battling imported infections since China cleaned up massive domestic infections last year.
- China launches vaccinations for teenagers as Delta runs rampant Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- China has launched a vaccination campaign for minors aged 12-17 amid the fresh Nanjing COVID-19 outbreak, which has spread to at least 18 provinces, and Observers believed that improving vaccination rates for the entire population - including minors - is important to tackle the rampant Delta variant, which is far more contagious, as well as possible future new variants.
- East China city Yangzhou seal communities in main urban area; 60% infections related to mahjong parlors Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- The city of Yangzhou in East China's Jiangsu Province has put all communities in the main urban area under closed management, starting from midnight Tuesday, while continuing its strict control of access routes to and out of the area to prevent from further spread of the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Residents, tourists ordered not to leave Zhangjiajie amid COVID-19 flare-ups Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- Zhangjiajie in Central China's Hunan Province, where the blockbuster Avatar was shot, ordered all residents and tourists not to leave the city and cooperate with epidemic control measures amid the latest outbreak.
- China's education authority issues urgent notice to promote student vaccination Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- China's Ministry of Education (MOE) has urged local authorities across the country to promote student vaccination amid the recent domestic COVID-19 outbreaks that have spread to at least 18 provinces and cities in China.
- COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infections possible, but vaccination slows down virus spread: Zhang Wenhong Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- None of the close contacts of the local COVID-19 case reported on Tuesday at Shanghai Pudong International Airport have been infected so far, as all the working staff at the airport have taken COVID-19 vaccines, slowing down the spread of the virus by a large margin, ZhangWenhong, China leading infectious disease specialist said at a press conference held in Shanghai on Tuesday.
- Wuhan begins city-wide COVID-19 testing after new local infections since June 2020 Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- Wuhan in Central China's Hubei Province will conduct city-wide COVID-19 testing, as the city has upgraded its epidemic response measures in the face of the recent outbreak, locking down the area where local infections were reported while upgrading its risk levels. The city's subway has adopted stricter anti-epidemic rules, and all schools have been closed.
- UPDATE: Shanghai escalates a residential compound to medium risk after one local COVID-19 case found Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- Shanghai escalated a residential compound in Pudong New Area to medium-risk area after the city reported one new local coronavirus case on Tuesday, about six months since the city saw its last local infection.
- Chinese FM slams report by US Representative Mike McCaul on Wuhan institute virus leak theory Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry has slammed a report released by US Representative Mike McCaul, the top Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, which claimed that there is a preponderance of evidence that the virus leaked from the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV) sometime before September 2019. The relevant report is totally based on concocted lies and distorted facts without providing any evidence, and is not credible or scientific, the ministry said.
- China goes all out to contain Delta outbreak People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- China has reported a cluster of COVID-19 infections in the past month, with 328 new locally transmitted confirmed cases registered in July, a number almost equal to the country's total number in the previous five months.
- China delivers 350 million doses vaccines to BRI partners People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- China has delivered 350 million doses of vaccines to co-sponsors of the Initiative for Belt and Road Partnership on COVID-19 Vaccines Cooperation, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Monday.
- China sends COVID-19 working group to Henan People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- The State Council inter-agency task force for COVID-19 response has dispatched a working group to guide prevention and control efforts in central China's Henan Province, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- China's Wuhan Set to Screen Entire City for COVID-19 as New Cases Detected Sputnik 03 Aug 2021 -- The authorities in the Chinese city of Wuhan, the world's first COVID-19 hotbed, have decided to test the city's entire population of 11 million for the virus after several new cases were detected in the city, the local government said on Tuesday.
- Nearly 1.69 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- Nearly 1.69 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China by Monday, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 61 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 61 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Tuesday.
- Libya receives a batch of Chinese COVID-19 vaccines People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- Libya received a batch of China's Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines on Monday amid the country's stepped-up effort to vaccinate as many people as possible.
- New batch of COVID-19 vaccines donated by China arrives in Tunisia People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- A new batch of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccines and protective medical equipment donated by China arrived in Tunisia on Monday.
- Leader of Transnational Money-Laundering Network Pleads Guilty to Aiding Drug-Trafficking Organizations, While Co-Conspirator is Sentenced US Dept. of Justice 03 Aug 2021 -- A Chinese national and naturalized U.S. citizen pleaded guilty yesterday to his involvement in a conspiracy to launder at least $30 million in drug proceeds on behalf of foreign drug-trafficking organizations. Another Chinese national was sentenced to seven years in prison today for his role in the same conspiracy.
- Germany sends frigate to contested South China Sea on Indo-Pacific mission Press TV 03 Aug 2021 -- Germany has deployed a frigate to the contested South China Sea for the first time since 2002, becoming the latest US ally to engage in such provocative deployments to the Chinese-claimed waters.
- China's latest high mobility tactical vehicle enters mass production Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- China's latest, third-generation high mobility tactical vehicle has entered mass production, which will meet the needs of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) not only for off-road personnel assault carriers, but also utility mobile platforms for multiple types of weapons including howitzer and rocket, experts said on Tuesday.
- PTU hijacks Hong Kong's education sector: Carrie Lam People's Daily 03 Aug 2021 -- Carrie Lam, chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), said Monday that the Hong Kong Professional Teachers' Union (PTU) has hijacked the education sector in Hong Kong and she supports the Education Bureau of the HKSAR government in cutting working relations with it.
- Hong Kong Independent Media Group Will Relocate to Singapore Radio Free Asia 03 Aug 2021 -- An independent news website has announced it will relocate from Hong Kong to Singapore in the wake of a crackdown on political opposition and press freedom under a national security law imposed on the city by Beijing.
- Scholar's Turn From 'Two-Faced' Uyghur to 'Parrot' of Party Line Draws Sympathy and Scorn Radio Free Asia 03 Aug 2021 -- In 2018, a noted Uyghur professor of literature and culture was arrested and fired from her university job for publishing pointed criticism of China's policies towards Muslim residents of Xinjiang. This year, she is part of an official propaganda campaign defending and supporting practices she once argued against.
- FM deplores US', EU' wanton comments on Macao court's decision to dismiss appeals by three candidate teams Global Times 03 Aug 2021 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry deplored and rejected the wanton comments by the US and the European Union (EU) on the Macao Court of Final Appeal's decision to dismiss appeals by three candidate teams and to uphold the decision of the Electoral Affairs Commission for the Legislative Assembly Election to exclude their candidate lists from the upcoming election.
- Scant Change in China's Disaster Response From Tangshan to Zhengzhou Radio Free Asia 03 Aug 2021 -- Forty-five years after a massive earthquake devastated the northern city of Tangshan, survivors say the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP)'s disaster response still scores poorly compared with the praise heaped on the People's Liberation Army (PLA) in state-run media.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list