Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 June 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Shenzhen sets up special medical facility to treat COVID-19 patients infected with the Delta variant Global Times 23 Jun 2021 -- A designated clinical facility managed by a special medical team to treat COVID-19 patients infected with the Delta variant has been set up in Shenzhen after the local government announced four cases of the new variant in the city.
- Over 1.07 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 23 Jun 2021 -- Over 1.07 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in China as of Tuesday, the National Health Commission said on Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland sees no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Jun 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported 24 imported COVID-19 cases but no new locally transmitted cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Wednesday.
- Tunisia receives China's CoronaVac COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 23 Jun 2021 -- A batch of China's CoronaVac COVID-19 vaccine arrived in Tunisia on Monday afternoon, according to a statement released Tuesday by the Chinese Embassy to Tunisia.
- Vietnam to Use 500,000 Donated Chinese Vaccines in Northern Provinces Radio Free Asia 23 Jun 2021 -- Vietnam will administer coronavirus vaccines manufactured in China to people in the country's nine northern provinces, becoming the final ASEAN country to accept vaccines from its northern neighbor, local media reported.
- China's Flash Points in Asia Persist Despite Network of Crisis Hotlines VOA 23 Jun 2021 -- A growing network of crisis-defusing telephone hotlines between China and other Asian countries shows Beijing's intent to strengthen those relations but does not resolve the wider disputes that could spark conflict, analysts believe.
- China's military deployment at border with India a normal defense arrangement: Chinese FM Global Times 23 Jun 2021 -- China's military deployment along the western section of the China-India border is a normal defense arrangement aiming at preventing and responding to encroachment and threats on China's territoryï¼ŒChinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian said on Wednesday.
- US Has Created 400,000 Troop-Strong Force in Asia-Pacific, Russian Military Intelligence Warns Sputnik 23 Jun 2021 -- The Biden administration dramatically increased so-called "freedom of navigation" operations in the East and South China Seas, and on the diplomatic front has worked to create a major new alliance to "contain" China. Beijing has blasted these efforts, accusing the US of trying to create global chaos.
- U.S. navy makes sixth transit through Taiwan Strait under Biden CNA 23 Jun 2021 -- A United States Navy destroyer sailed through the Taiwan Strait on Tuesday, making it the sixth transit by an American warship through the waterway in five months.
- PLA on alert during US warship's latest Taiwan Straits provocation Global Times 23 Jun 2021 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Eastern Theater Command tracked and monitored a US warship as it sailed through the Taiwan Straits with the aim of stirring up trouble in the region on Tuesday, the command's spokesperson said on Wednesday.
- Chinese military denounces US destroyer's provocation in Taiwan Strait PLA Daily 23 Jun 2021 -- The USS Curtis Wilbur (DDG-54) sailed through the Taiwan Strait and hyped it publicly on June 22. Air Force Senior Colonel Zhang Chunhui, spokesperson for the Chinese PLA Eastern Theater Command (ETC), denounced the US provocative move in a written statement on Wednesday.
- Beijing Blames 'One Power' for Global Chaos, Says it Won't Let Taiwan Be 'Torn Away' From China Sputnik 23 Jun 2021 -- Chinese officials have been fighting a war of words with their US counterparts in the Biden administration in recent months amid the latest escalations of China-US tensions over Taiwan. Beijing considers the island to be an integral part of China and has threatened to take action against both its "separatist" politicians and their foreign backers.
- Beijing Decries US Warship's Passage Via Taiwan Strait as Threat to Regional Peace Sputnik 23 Jun 2021 -- China has expressed protest in connection with the latest passage of a US Navy destroyer through the Taiwan Strait, Air Force Senior Colonel Zhang Chunhui, the spokesman for the Chinese army's Eastern Theater Command, said on Wednesday.
- Russia, China Question Need for Aid Operations from Turkey to Northwest Syria VOA 23 Jun 2021 -- The U.N. secretary-general personally appealed to the Security Council on Wednesday to extend vital cross-border aid from Turkey into northwest Syria for another year, saying not to do so "would have devastating consequences."
- North Korea to Replace 10,000 Workers Dispatched to China Radio Free Asia 23 Jun 2021 -- North Korea is planning to repatriate 10,000 workers dispatched to earn foreign currency in China but were stranded by the coronavirus pandemic, replacing them with younger recruits, sources in China told RFA.
- China explores water ingestion trial methods for warplanes, enhances all-weather combat capability Global Times 23 Jun 2021 -- China is reportedly exploring water ingestion trial methods for warplanes, as its aviation industry recently conducted such test for the first time.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on June 23, 2021 PRC MofA 23 Jun 2021
- Montenegro Getting European Help To Refinance Its Massive China Debt RFE/RL 23 Jun 2021 -- A European financial institution is prepared to help refinance Montenegro's $1 billion debt to China, which the Balkan country incurred over a controversial highway project.
- Canada sheds crocodile's tears for its indigenous people; not qualified to criticize China: FM Global Times 23 Jun 2021 -- Canada is unqualified to criticize China. They have to reflect on their own misdeeds on human rights, Zhao Lijian, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson, told a press conference on Wednesday, responding to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's remarks over topics of China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
- To improve bilateral ties, the ball is in Australia's court: Chinese FM Global Times 23 Jun 2021 -- To improve China-Australia relations, the ball is in Australia's court,a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Wednesday.
- China and New Zealand should hammer down specific cooperation on BRI and expand bilateral collaboration: Chinese FM Global Times 23 Jun 2021 -- China and New Zealand should use their upgraded free trade agreement to speed up hammering down specific cooperation on the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) and push forward bilateral collaboration, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister, Wang Yi, said during a video conference with his New Zealand counterpart on Tuesday.
- Chinese president calls for building closer Belt and Road partnership PLA Daily 23 Jun 2021 -- China stands ready to work with all parties to build a closer Belt and Road partnership, President Xi Jinping said Wednesday in a written message to the Asia and Pacific High-level Conference on Belt and Road Cooperation.
- BRI vigorous in jointly fighting pandemic, green recovery Global Times 23 Jun 2021 -- China stands ready to work with all parties to build a closer Belt and Road partnership, Chinese President Xi Jinping said on Wednesday.
- Asian Countries Welcome G7's Answer to China's One Belt, One Road Program Radio Free Asia 23 Jun 2021 -- Bangladesh and nations in Southeast Asia are welcoming the Group of Seven's new answer to China's One Belt, One Road initiative, saying it will be another source for financing their burgeoning infrastructure needs.
- Taiwan VP urges Beijing to stop oppressing Hong Kong's press CNA 23 Jun 2021 -- Taiwan Vice President Lai Ching-te (è³´æ¸…å¾·) on Wednesday called on Beijing to stop oppressing the media in Hong Kong, where the pro-democracy newspaper Apple Daily is facing a shutdown after a crackdown by police.
- Closure of Apple Daily in Hong Kong: Foreign Secretary's statement UK FCDO 23 Jun 2021 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab comments on the closure of the Apple Daily newspaper in Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong's Pro-Democracy Newspaper Apple Daily to Cease Operations This Week VOA 23 Jun 2021 -- The parent company of Hong Kong pro-democracy Apple Daily newspaper announced Wednesday that it will shut down the publication this week.
- Hong Kong's Apple Daily to Print Last Edition on Thursday Radio Free Asia 23 Jun 2021 -- Hong Kong's Apple Daily newspaper said on Wednesday it will be shutting down operations following a raid on its headquarters by national security police and the arrests of several executives for "collusion with foreign powers."
- HK secessionist tabloid Apple Daily to end its edition on Thursday Global Times 23 Jun 2021 -- After the Hong Kong Police Force (HKPF) arrested another staff member of Apple Daily on suspicion of violating the national security law, the pro-secessionist tabloid announced on Wednesday that it will issue its last edition on Thursday amid mounting financial pressure.
- First Trial Under Beijing-Imposed National Security Law Begins in Hong Kong VOA 23 Jun 2021 -- A 24-year-old Hong Kong man Wednesday became the first defendant to be tried under the city's nearly one-year-old national security law.
- Defendant pleads not guilty in HK's 1st national security law trial Global Times 23 Jun 2021 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) started its first trial under the national security for Hong Kong on Wednesday. Observers noted that the trial could be a test for future national security cases.
- Hong Kong Begins Trial of First National Security Law Defendant Radio Free Asia 23 Jun 2021 -- Motorcyclist Tong Ying-kit stands accused of "terrorism" and "inciting secession" after he flew a banned slogan while riding down a street on July 1, 2020.
- China Mounts Massive Security Operation in Beijing Ahead of Centenary Radio Free Asia 23 Jun 2021 -- Authorities in the Chinese capital have stepped up security measures ahead of the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP)'s centenary celebration on July 1, while rights activists and dissidents are being forced to leave town by state security police, RFA has learned.
- Wanted Chinese Kingpin Owns Casino With Cambodian Senator's Son-in-Law Radio Free Asia 23 Jun 2021 -- Political connections in Cambodia have allowed a major Chinese fugitive to elude jail while building a business empire, an investigation by RFA has found.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list