Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
26 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Shanghai's precise COVID-19 prevention and control measures ensure megacity's safety Global Times 26 Jan 2021 -- Responding to the public's concerns about the latest sporadic local COVID-19 cases in the city, Shanghai's medical experts assured the public of the city's ability to contain the epidemic with precise prevention and control measures on Tuesday.
- Jilin reports China's second COVID-19 patient death in latest outbreak Global Times 26 Jan 2021 -- Northeast China's Jilin Province reported one death caused by COVID-19 on Monday, the second coronavirus fatality after North China's Hebei Province reported its first in mid-January in the latest outbreak.
- Do Chinese COVID-19 vaccines need redesign to tackle variants? Global Times 26 Jan 2021 -- With worrisome signs that some recent coronavirus mutations may dampen the effectiveness of current vaccines, US drugmaker Moderna and Oxford scientists are mulling new vaccines to tackle mutant strains. Meanwhile, concerns have emerged in China as to whether there's a need to update vaccines and whether vaccine exports will be affected.
- Chinese mainland reports 69 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 82 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 69 locally transmitted and 13 arriving from outside the mainland, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- China's Heilongjiang reports 53 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Jan 2021 -- China's Heilongjiang Province reported 53 new confirmed COVID-19 cases and 24 asymptomatic infections on Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 13 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland reported 13 new imported COVID-19 cases Monday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 4,624.
- Egypt begins inoculation as at least 4 African nations secure Chinese vaccines; more in talks Global Times 26 Jan 2021 -- At least four African countries have given its citizens Chinese vaccines or secured vaccines from Chinese developers as of Tuesday, with talks on cooperation underway in more countries. Despite the challenges involved, observers noted that China is striving to help the continent fill the immunity gap rather than hoard doses.
- New-material rocket tanks to boost China's space launch capability and manned missions Global Times 26 Jan 2021 -- China has successfully developed two types of rocket tank prototypes made from new lighter but stronger materials, and according to industry insiders, these advances will further help reduce the weight of rocket bodies and consequently enhance the rockets' space launch capabilities, laying the foundation for the new generation of heavy-lift and even manned rockets.
- Locals Fear Investors In Chinese Trade Hub Are Pushing Them Out Of Gwadar RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Jan 2021 -- Pakistani millionaires are snapping up real estate in the impoverished city of Gwadar in response to China's multibillion-dollar investments that aim to transform the coastal area of Pakistan's southwestern Balochistan Province into a commercial hub and a lynchpin of Beijing's footprint in the region.
- Beijing Announces Military Drills in South China Sea After US Aircraft Carrier Enters Area Sputnik 26 Jan 2021 -- On Monday, Beijing accused Washington of "flexing its muscles" in the region, a few days after the US Navy sent the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group to the South China Sea "to foster maritime security".
- Indonesia: Tankers' Crews Caught 'Red-Handed' in Illegal Oil Transfer, Confessed Radio Free Asia 26 Jan 2021 -- The crews of two tankers seized by Indonesia over the weekend admitted that they were carrying out an unauthorized oil transfer from an Iran-flagged vessel to a Panama-flagged one and hiding their ships' identities, a spokesman for the Indonesian coast guard said on Tuesday.
- China's western airspace more secure with PLA Army, Air Force integration Global Times 26 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Western Theater Command has begun to integrate air defense systems of the Army and Air Force in a move experts said on Tuesday can complement each other's capabilities and better secure China's air security in joint operations in the region.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on January 26, 2021 PRC MofA 26 Jan 2021
- China urges Biden to correct Trump policy, as US sends negative signals Global Times 26 Jan 2021 -- China on Tuesday called on the new administration of US President Joe Biden to reverse what officials called the "wrong policies" toward China under former president Donald Trump, and instead take a positive and constructive approach to pull bilateral ties back to the right path, in a direct response to what analysts said was rather negative signals from the new US administration of repeating similar grievances and ill intentions that were a hallmark of the previous government.
- China's Xi offers indirect advice for new US administration Press TV 26 Jan 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has implicitly warned US President Joe Biden that he would risk a "new Cold War" if he followed in the footsteps of his predecessor, Donald Trump, calling for multilateralism instead.
- President Xi's emphasis on multilateralism significant for world to face challenges: FM Global Times 26 Jan 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's speech at Davos Agenda, which mentioned pursuit of multilateralism many times, lays out a road for an increasingly complex world. Against the backdrop of global economic recession, Xi's speech has highlighted China's proposal for addressing global challenges, China's Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
- US government should be fair toward HK national security law: Lam Global Times 26 Jan 2021 -- Hong Kong SAR Chief Executive Carrie Lam said on Tuesday that she hoped the Biden administration should take a fair attitude on HK national security law.
- Hong Kong Should 'Leave Behind Myth of Western Democracy': Pro-China Paper Radio Free Asia 26 Jan 2021 -- A China-backed newspaper on Tuesday warned that Hong Kong would have to leave behind any notion of "Western" democracy, suggesting that the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is planning to further tighten its grip on the city's political life amid an ongoing crackdown on dissent.
- Hong Kong Activists Feel Pressure as Chinese Authorities Approach Relatives in Mainland China VOA 26 Jan 2021 -- A pro-democracy activist in Hong Kong is the latest to disclose that Chinese authorities questioned his family and friends in mainland China for information about him.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list