Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
25 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- A few discharged COVID-19 patients test positive again in Shanghai Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- A few people in Shanghai tested positive for COVID-19 again after being discharged from hospitals, the local health authority said on Monday.
- Chinese regulators make vaccine reviews devoid of political, public pressure: top advisor Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- Chinese authorities responsible for drugs approval made review of Chinese vaccine candidates through careful assessments and devoid of political, public pressure, a top Chinese disease control and prevention expert told the Global Times, revealing the rare insight of the process of vaccine approval.
- Chinese vaccines effective for mutations, could be redesigned in 2 months: top advisor Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- Chinese inactivated vaccines are effective for all coronavirus mutants spread to China from overseas in recent outbreaks, according to lab tests conducted by Chinese scientists, Shao Yiming, a leading expert advising on China's vaccine research and development, told the Global Times in an exclusive interview, noting that China is prepared for wider mutations and is able to redesign an inactivated vaccine against the mutants in as quickly as two months.
- BioNTech vaccine given emergency use authorization in HK; first 1 mln doses to be delivered in Feb Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- The COVID-19 mRNA vaccine developed by BioNTech was approved for emergency use in China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region on Monday.
- Nine samples from food company in Heilongjiang test positive for COVID-19 Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- Local authorities in Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province said Monday they had found coronavirus on the outer packaging of nine products of a local meat-processing company co-established by the Thai conglomerate CP Group, after the firm reported dozens of confirmed cases and asymptomatic infections last week. Relevant products have been removed from the shelves, according to media reports.
- Beijing mulls local legislation on infectious diseases amid COVID-19 outbreak Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- Beijing's legislature is mulling local legislation on infectious diseases prevention and treatment, and legislators in the Chinese capital have voted to pass 10 health related laws since the COVID-19 outbreak in early 2020.
- Chinese FM rejects idea of China-India vaccine competition, calls for joint effort to fight pandemic Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- It is up to each country to decide which COVID-19 vaccine it wishes to use, and there should not be vicious competition or confrontation, as China welcomes more countries to produce effective vaccines to benefit more people, Chinese Foreign Ministry said in response to reports that India was pursuing "vaccine diplomacy" to counter China.
- Chinese mainland reports 124 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 25 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday recorded 124 new COVID-19 cases â€“ 117 local transmissions and seven from overseas â€“ the National Health Commission said on Monday.
- China Reports 124 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 25 Jan 2021 -- China reported 124 new COVID-19 cases on Jan. 24, the country's national health authority said on Monday.
- Iran, China stress continuation of cooperation in fighting COVID-19 IRNA 25 Jan 2021 -- Speaker of Majlis (Iranian Parliament) Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf and Speaker of China's National People's Congress Li Zhanshu emphasized cooperation in fighting coronavirus and producing vaccines.
- Turkey to receive 6.5 mln Chinese vaccines on Monday: Turkish minister Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca announced on Sunday that 6.5 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccines would arrive in Turkey from China on Monday.
- Turkey to receive 6.5 mln more doses of COVID-19 vaccines from China; Israel bans int'l flights to prevent arrival of new coronavirus variant People's Daily 25 Jan 2021 -- Turkey announced on Sunday that 6.5 million more doses of COVID-19 vaccines would arrive in Turkey from China. Meanwhile, the Israeli cabinet approved a ban on international flights in a bid to prevent the arrival of new COVID-19 variants.
- Jilin suspends all gatherings amid resurgence of COVID-19 cases Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- Northeast China's Jilin Province has suspended gatherings and closed cultural or entertainment venues province-wide on Sunday after the province reported 12 confirmed and 29 asymptomatic cases on Saturday, bringing the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases to 206 in the province.
- Samples of China's vaccination sites test positive for non-infectious inactivated coronavirus used in vaccines: CDC Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- Some regions in China have detected inactivated coronavirus used in vaccines at COVID-19 vaccination sites and is not contagious, China's national Center for Disease Control and Prevention announced on Sunday, but urged the sites remain vigilant for infectious versions of the virus.
- Why China Plans to Place Its Super Offshore Oil Rig in a Disputed Sea VOA 25 Jan 2021 -- Chinese authorities plan to position their first homegrown semi-submersible oil rig in a deep-water field in the disputed South China Sea to show rivals how far it's willing to go for energy security and possibly to expand its political clout, observers believe.
- U.S. Carrier Strike Group Sails Into South China Sea Amid Heightened Tensions Radio Free Asia 25 Jan 2021 -- The United States has deployed an aircraft carrier strike group to the South China Sea, just days after President Joe Biden took office, drawing a rebuke from China against Washington for the display of force.
- PLA continues large scale warplane exercises near Taiwan Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) reportedly continued large-scale warplane exercises near the island of Taiwan on Sunday by sending 15 warplanes, two more than on Saturday, as Chinese mainland analysts said Monday that the routine drills are becoming increasingly closer to real-life combat.
- China Flexes Military Muscle to Biden With Incursions Near Taiwan Radio Free Asia 25 Jan 2021 -- China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) flew multiple aircraft into Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) at the weekend, in a move analysts said was flexing military muscle at the start of the Biden administration.
- China, India Agree to Speed Up Withdrawal of Troops on Border in Wake of Recent Clashes Sputnik 25 Jan 2021 -- Chinese and Indian military agreed to speed up the withdrawal of advanced troops on the border between the two countries, the Chinese Defence Ministry said.
- Indian Army: Indian, Chinese Troops Face Off Along Border VOA 25 Jan 2021 -- Indian and Chinese soldiers were involved in a fresh clash last week along their disputed border in the eastern Himalayas according to the Indian army. China has not confirmed the incident.
- Latest China-India military talks agree to push for early disengagement as spring nears Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- China and India on Sunday held the ninth round of the Corps Commander Level Meeting, in which both sides agreed to push for an early disengagement of the frontline troops and continue to stabilize and control the border situation, China's defense ministry announced on Monday.
- Latest China-India border clash fake news: source Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- Indian media reports on Monday claiming Chinese and Indian troops engaged in a clash three days ago that resulted in injuries on both sides are fake, the Global Times learned from a source on Monday.
- Joint Press Release of the 9th Round of India-China Military Commander-Level Meeting India PIB 25 Jan 2021 -- On January 24, the 9th round of China-India Corps Commander Level Meeting was held on the Chinese side of the Moldo-Chushul border meeting point. The two sides had a candid and in-depth exchange of views on disengagement along the Line of Actual Control in the Western Sector of China-India border areas.
- Joint Press Release of the 9th Round of China-India Corps Commander Level Meeting PLA Daily 25 Jan 2021 -- On January 24, the 9th round of China-India Corps Commander Level Meeting was held on the Chinese side of the Moldo-Chushul border meeting point. The two sides had a candid and in-depth exchange of views on disengagement along the Line of Actual Control in the Western Sector of China-India border areas.
- India, China troops clash at disputed border, injuries on both sides Press TV 25 Jan 2021 -- A new clash has broken out between Indian and Chinese soldiers in a disputed border area, leaving several troops injured on both sides.
- Travel Restrictions Announced at Tibetan Monastery in Gansu Ahead of Major Religious Festival Radio Free Asia 25 Jan 2021 -- Authorities in northwestern China's Gansu province are imposing restrictions on travel to and from an important Tibetan monastery ahead of a major annual religious festival, requiring the wearing of masks by those attending and forbidding entry even to private vehicles, Tibetan sources say.
- Indonesian Authorities Probe Iranian, Chinese Crews of Tankers Over Oil Transfer Radio Free Asia 25 Jan 2021 -- The Indonesian coast guard said Monday it was investigating the Iranian and Chinese crews of two oil tankers after seizing them off West Kalimantan province for allegedly carrying out an illegal ship-to-ship petroleum transfer in territorial waters.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on January 25, 2021 PRC MofA 25 Jan 2021
- White House Says US Seeks 'New Approach' with China VOA 25 Jan 2021 -- The White House says Washington is being patient as it seeks a "new approach" toward relations with China at a time when the two countries remain in serious "strategic competition."
- Cooperation should continue playing key tone in China-US relations: FM Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- Cooperation has been the key tone for China-US relations in the past, and should continue playing such role in the future based on broad common interest and huge room for the two sides to team up, China's Foreign Ministry (FM) said Monday.
- China's Xi Jinping Warns Against 'New Cold War' VOA 25 Jan 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping urged the world to come together to fight the coronavirus pandemic and warned against a "new Cold War" in a speech Monday at the World Economic Forum, held virtually this year because of the pandemic.
- A Reporter Looks Back: Hong Kong's Martin Lee in 2021 Radio Free Asia 25 Jan 2021 -- Much has been written about the arrest of the Hong Kong politician and barrister Martin Lee in the spring of last year.
- China Hits Back at US Label of Genocide in Xinjiang as 'Lies' in Propaganda-Laden Screed Radio Free Asia 25 Jan 2021 -- China on Monday labeled as "lies" a U.S. designation of abuses in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) as genocide in a report that cites residents it said had flocked to social media to "refute" the claim, but an expert said it would do little to address growing concerns over the situation there.
- Prominent Uyghur Poet and Author Confirmed to Have Died While Imprisoned Radio Free Asia 25 Jan 2021 -- The oldest of more than a dozen staff members arrested after their Uyghur-run publishing house in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) released "problematic" books has died while serving an 11-year jail term, according to official sources.
- Xi: No social system is superior to the other Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- Each country is unique with its own history, culture and social system, and none is superior to the other, Chinese President Xi Jinping said Monday while addressing the World Economic Forum Virtual Event of the Davos Agenda.
- Former deputy minister culture and tourism Li Jinzao expelled from Communist Party of China. Global Times 25 Jan 2021 -- Li Jinzao, former deputy minister of culture and tourism, has been expelled from Communist Party of China and discharged from office for taking bribes and gifts, as well as evading investigations.
- China vows unremitting fight against corruption People's Daily 25 Jan 2021 -- China's top disciplinary body on Sunday adopted a communique, vowing unremitting efforts to improve Party conduct, build a clean government and fight corruption to ensure the implementation of the targets and tasks set for the 14th Five-Year Plan period (2021-2025).
- China Steps up Charges Against Activists Who Called For Political Change Radio Free Asia 25 Jan 2021 -- Authorities in China are stepping up charges against two prominent activists with the New Citizens' Movement detained after an informal gathering of dissidents in the southeastern port city of Xiamen in December 2019.
- Is Jack Ma Helping China Reinforce Communist Regime's Digital Authoritarianism? VOA 25 Jan 2021 -- China's regulators have reiterated that their probe into financial technology giant Ant Group, founded by the beleaguered billionaire Jack Ma, would not undermine the company's development and was not a move against private firms â€“ a message widely seen as a government effort to alleviate market concerns over the entrepreneur and the fate of his business empire, Alibaba Group.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list