Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
24 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Life returning to normal in Hebei's low-risk regions as coronavirus infections decline Global Times 24 Jan 2021 -- Low-risk regions in North China's Hebei Province, many of which had been locked down due to outbreaks of coronavirus, are reopening as new infections continue to decline.
- Beijing medical institutions summoned after rejecting patients from COVID-19 medium and high risk areas Global Times 24 Jan 2021 -- Beijing authorities told certain medical institutions that refused to treat patients from COVID-19 medium and high risk areas to immediately make changes.
- Shanghai adds new COVID-19 medium-risk area, strengthens imported cold-chain management Global Times 24 Jan 2021 -- The Guixi residential community in downtown Shanghai has been designated as a medium-risk area for COVID-19 after a resident was confirmed to have been infected, according to Shanghai authorities on Sunday. This brought the number of medium-risk areas up to four in the metropolis.
- Shijiazhuang strengthens home-quarantine management after media criticism of loopholes Global Times 24 Jan 2021 -- Shijiazhuang, capital of North China's Hebei Province, which has recently seen a resurgence in COVID-19 cases, has strengthened epidemic prevention and control measures in residential communities after media criticized the city's loopholes in the closed management of some old communities, as residents in these communities could go out of and into the community at will.
- Beijing CDC calls on public to avoid travel for Spring Festival Global Times 24 Jan 2021 -- The Beijing Center for Disease Control and Prevention on Sunday appealed to the public to spend their upcoming Spring Festival holidays in the capital due to COVID-19 outbreak risks, after China rolled out a series of measures to encourage the public to stay in their working cities, including mandatory nucleic acid tests from within seven days of travel, 14-day health monitoring at home and an extra bonus for those who choose to stay.
- China's megacity completes 3rd round of citywide COVID-19 testing People's Daily 24 Jan 2021 -- Shijiazhuang, a megacity in north China's Hebei Province, has completed three rounds of citywide nucleic acid testing in 17 days to stem the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- Chinese mainland reports 65 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 24 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Saturday reported 80 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 65 locally transmitted ones and 15 arriving from outside the mainland, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- PLA bomber swarm near Taiwan 'likely routine operations' Global Times 24 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) on Saturday reportedly dispatched 13 warplanes including eight H-6K bombers to locations in the middle of the island of Taiwan and the Dongsha Islands in the South China Sea, as the US aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt entered the South China Sea from the south of Taiwan on the same day for "routine operations," in a first since US President Joe Biden assumed office.
- 15 Chinese military planes enter Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 24 Jan 2021 -- China sent 15 military airplanes of five types into Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Sunday but they did not cross the median line that divides the Taiwan Strait, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said.
- China sends record-high number of planes over Taiwan to flex muscle CNA 24 Jan 2021 -- China sent a record-high number of military aircraft into Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Saturday, a move aimed at flexing its military muscle to new U.S. President Joe Biden, military experts said Saturday.
- Biden's words to Beijing show continuity of U.S. foreign policy CNA 24 Jan 2021 -- A call made by the administration of new United States President Joe Biden asking China to stop its military coercion toward Taiwan shows continuity in U.S. foreign policy, experts said Sunday.
- Biden administration urges Beijing to cease military pressure against Taipei CNA 24 Jan 2021 -- The new Joe Biden administration of the United States on Saturday called on China to stop its ongoing military coercion toward Taiwan while calling on both sides of the Strait to engage in peaceful dialogue.
- China Authorises Coast Guard to Fire on Foreign Vessels as US Sends Carrier Strike Group to Region Sputnik 24 Jan 2021 -- On Sunday, a US carrier strike group led by the USS Theodore Roosevelt entered the South China Sea for "routine operations." Earlier, Japan issued a rebuke of China's claims in the strategic body of water. The Pentagon reciprocated by promising to protect the Senkakus â€“ the East China Sea islands controlled by Tokyo but also claimed by Beijing.
- US sends carrier to South China Sea after Beijing gives fire order Press TV 24 Jan 2021 -- The US has dispatched an aircraft carrier group to the South China Sea, in a move that is set to escalate tensions after China authorized its coast guard to open fire on foreign vessels deemed to pose threats to its sovereignty.
- US Carrier Strike Group Enters South China Sea Amid Tensions Between China, Taiwan Sputnik 24 Jan 2021 -- A US carrier strike group has entered the South China sea for routine operations, the US Indo-Pacific Command (INDOPACOM) announced on Sunday amid increased tensions between China and Taiwan.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list