Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
21 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Experts urge stronger measures to curb spread of new COVID-19 variant Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- Beijing has become the fourth city in China to report confirmed COVID-19 cases that appear to be the same as the variant initially found in the UK. Experts have called for stronger prevention and control measures to curb the spread of the more transmissible variant in the country.
- Holidays challenge villages' epidemic controls Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- Chinese health authorities released on Wednesday an extra strict guideline especially for people returning to their hometowns in rural areas during the upcoming Spring Festival holidays, stipulating tough measures including a 14-day health monitoring period at home after arrivals. Many wonder, however, if such moves will fix existing local loopholes.
- Chinese vaccines show preliminary effect on most coronavirus variants: experts Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- Chinese health authorities released on Wednesday an extra strict guideline especially for people returning to their hometowns in rural areas during the upcoming Spring Festival holidays, stipulating tough measures including a 14-day health monitoring period at home after arrivals. Many wonder, however, if such moves will fix existing local loopholes.
- Virus prevention work complicated, severe in Beijing after 2 isolated outbreaks: spokesperson Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- Two new local COVID-19 cases and one asymptomatic case were found in Beijing on Wednesday, the local government announced on Thursday, noting the new outbreak in the capital city's southern district Daxing is not related to previous outbreaks in the northeastern Shunyi district.
- Shanghai reports 3 local COVID-19 confirmed cases since Nov, screens 14,411 contacts Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- Shanghai found three local confirmed COVID-19 cases in its downtown Huangpu and Xuhui districts on Thursday, two months since the last local case was reported in the city, the municipal health authorities said Thursday.
- Shandong reports one new local coronavirus case, another asymptomatic Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- Pingdu city in East China's Shandong Province reported one new confirmed local COVID-19 case and one an asymptomatic virus carrier on Wednesday, making the total number of local infected cases to 778, with 770 patients already discharged from hospitals.
- China sets rules on test capacity, requires cities to cover 5m residents in two days Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- China's health authorities will set up mobile nucleic acid testing teams, after the State Council issued rules stipulating that cities with a resident population of less than 5 million must be able to complete nucleic acid testing of all residents within two days.
- Two Shanghai hospitals suspend outpatient services after suspected COVID-19 cases reported Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- Two top-tiered hospitals in Shanghai â€” Fudan University Shanghai Cancer Center and Renji Hospital affiliated to Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine â€” have suspended outpatient services in their downtown branches on Thursday for COVID-19 epidemic prevention and control reasons after two suspected COVID-19 cases were reported on Wednesday and Thursday at the two hospitals.
- China's CoronaVac vaccine recognized by multiple countries People's Daily 21 Jan 2021 -- Brazil's Health Regulatory Agency (Anvisa) announced on Jan. 17 that it has approved the emergency use of the CoronaVac vaccine, from the Chinese biotech firm Sinovac. The first batch of Brazilian vaccines were vaccinated on the same day.
- Chinese mainland reports 144 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday recorded 144 new COVID-19 cases â€“ 126 local transmissions and 18 from overseas, the National Health Commission said on Thursday.
- Over 15 mln doses of COVID-19 vaccine administered in China People's Daily 21 Jan 2021 -- More than 15 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in China since the country launched its vaccination program in December last year, China's health authorities said Wednesday.
- Three Chinese cities resume mass testing to halt COVID-19 People's Daily 21 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese cities of Shijiazhuang and Tonghua, as well as Daxing District of the national capital Beijing, started a new round of mass nucleic acid testing on Wednesday in an effort to contain the latest COVID-19 resurgence.
- Construction of central gov't-funded temporary hospital for COVID-19 patients completed in Hong Kong People's Daily 21 Jan 2021 -- The construction of a temporary hospital funded by the central government for treating COVID-19 patients in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) was completed Wednesday.
- Govts race to vaccinate with Chinese jabs People's Daily 21 Jan 2021 -- Mass inoculation programs using Chinese vaccines against COVID-19 are rolling out across continents while more countries plan options, reaffirming China's global public good promise.
- China to Gift Pakistan 500K COVID-19 Vaccine Doses VOA 21 Jan 2021 -- Pakistan said Thursday it will receive half-a-million free doses of China's Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine by January 31.
- China Reclaims Land, Fortifies Coast of South China Sea Island Base to Prevent Erosion Radio Free Asia 21 Jan 2021 -- China has reclaimed more land on Woody Island, its main outpost in the northern part of the South China Sea, and is fortifying the island's coast against erosion, according to new satellite imagery and Chinese government documents seen by Radio Free Asia.
- China releases regulations on management of Chang'e-5 lunar samples People's Daily 21 Jan 2021 -- The China National Space Administration (CNSA) rolled out on Monday regulations on the management of lunar samples brought back to Earth by the country's Chang'e-5 moon probe, which is an important manifestation of China's efforts to carry out practical international cooperation and exchanges on studying the samples.
- FC-31 stealth fighter, GJ-11 stealth drone star in poster for Chinese defense firm Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- China's FC-31 stealth fighter jet and GJ-11 stealth armed reconnaissance drone have again attracted enthusiasm among Chinese netizens after being featured in a new poster for a state-owned defense company.
- PLA builds renewable power grids for border defense outposts in plateau, islands Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has built newly developed micro-power grid systems for more than 80 border defense outposts in remote plateau regions and islands, and troops stationed at these posts are using stable, reliable and renewable solar and wind energy sources in addition to diesel oil and battery storage, ensuring their combat capabilities, analysts said on Thursday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on January 21, 2021 PRC MofA 21 Jan 2021
- Biden Administration Criticizes China Sanctions on Former Trump Officials VOA 21 Jan 2021 -- The Biden administration has criticized China's decision to impose sanctions on Trump administration officials Wednesday just minutes after Joe Biden was sworn in as the 46th president of the United States.
- Taiwan affairs office supports sanction on US politicians; Xinjiang conference 'hammers last nail' into coffin of 'poisonous legacy' of Pompeo Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- The Taiwan Affairs Office of China's State Council and the government of Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Regions lammed former US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo over bad behavior on the Taiwan question and his smear against Xinjiang, as China announced sanctions on 28 anti-China US politicians on Wednesday night, including Pompeo.
- Beijing sanctions Pompeo, other anti-China hawks, sets 'bottom line' on bilateral ties Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- Minutes after Wednesday noon in Washington as Joe Biden was being sworn in as 46th US president, China's Foreign Ministry announced sanctions on 28 anti-China politicians under the former president including former secretary of state Mike Pompeo in a move that was characterized by Chinese experts as a well-timed and vigorous demonstration of Beijing's bottom line in the fightback against anti-China forces.
- Update: China, US deserve a better future, must fix bilateral ties: Chinese FM Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- Over the past few years, there had been too many obstacles put up in the China-US relationship, with many bridges burned down and roads damaged, while US President Joe Biden has called for unity and healing which are greatly needed for China-US ties, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said during a routine press conference on Thursday.
- China, US should have courage to fix bilateral ties: Chinese FM spokesperson on Biden inauguration Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- Good angels in China-US relations can defeat evil forces, Chinese FM spokesperson Hua Chunying said on Biden Inauguration. China and US had experienced a very difficult time in the past, and the two sides indeed deserve a better future, so we wish Biden a successful presidency, Hua noted.
- China slaps sanctions on 28 Trump administration officials, including Pompeo Press TV 21 Jan 2021 -- China has slapped sanctions on 28 Americans who worked in the administration of former president Donald Trump, including ex-secretary of state Mike Pompeo, for violating Chinese sovereignty and interfering in the country's internal affairs.
- China Calls For Better Ties With US as Biden Begins Presidency Radio Free Asia 21 Jan 2021 -- China on Thursday called for improved ties with the United States as it congratulated President Joe Biden on his inauguration and welcomed his decision to rejoin the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Pompeo makes himself 'doomsday clown' lying about Xinjiang Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- "A joke of the century," "a doomsday clown," "Mr. Liar," and "Secretary of Crimes" â€¦ all these words have been given to the "worst-ever Secretary of State" Mike Pompeo by Chinese and overseas officials, scholars and netizens, and on his last day, Pompeo made the final crazy move by groundlessly accusing China and the Communist Party of China of carrying out "genocide" in its Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
- New Hong Kong Bar Chair Vows to 'Protect the Independence of the Judiciary' Radio Free Asia 21 Jan 2021 -- Hong Kong's Bar Association elected veteran human rights barrister Paul Harris as its new chairman Thursday to replace Phillip Dykes, who had been in the position since 2018.
- HK electoral reform inevitable, with policymakers suggesting a political scrutiny mechanism for candidacy Global Times 21 Jan 2021 -- Though the ongoing session of the 13th National People's Congress (NPC) Standing Committee has not included Hong Kong-related issues on its agenda, reform of the city's electoral process has been widely discussed among Hong Kong delegates to the NPC, policy advisors and experts on Hong Kong affairs, and some suggest the need to set up a political scrutiny mechanism to make sure 'those who rule Hong Kong are patriotic.'
- Turkey-based Relatives of Uyghur Detainees Pause Protests After Chinese Consulate Accepts Demands Radio Free Asia 21 Jan 2021 -- A group of Turkey-based Uyghurs have suspended daily protests in front of China's consulate in Istanbul after consular officials agreed to accept documentation of their family members held in internment camps in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) at the behest of the mayor, group members said.
- China Includes State Journalists' Social Media Posts in Vetting Process Radio Free Asia 21 Jan 2021 -- As part of an annual vetting and review process targeting journalists in state-owned and approved media organizations, Chinese journalists will have their social media posts included in their press card renewal process.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list