Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Hebei epidemic spread significantly curbed with declining daily cases for five days Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- North China's Hebei Province has seen a decline in new daily COVID-19 cases for five straight days, a positive sign that the epidemic in the province has been significantly curbed, said the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Wednesday.
- 'Absurd' coronavirus control measures expose complexity of rural management Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- Officials tied a man to a tree during a COVID-19 lockdown; villagers got slapped when playing mahjong when coronavirus was still rife â€¦ incidents that occurred in Chinese rural areas' epidemic prevention efforts have stirred a firestorm of online criticism, with many denouncing such moves as simple and crude.
- Port cities vulnerable to viral rebound: CDC Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- Recent clusters of coronavirus infections in China were mainly caused by inbound visitors and imported goods, and port cities that are at constant risk of exposure to such sources are prone to see the resurgence of the disease, a senior Chinese official said on Wednesday.
- China curbs viral resurgence with 'strictest' measures in Spring Festival Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- China has rolled out measures to guide the public on their return journeys to their hometowns and urged them to stay in their working cities during the upcoming Spring Festival holidays. Among the measures are mandatory nucleic acid tests within seven days of travel, 14-day health monitoring at home and an extra bonus as a stimulus for those who choose to stay.
- Virus strain in Beijing COVID19 cases same as variant in UK Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- The COVID-19 virus strain found in the first two cases in Beijing's Daxing district is the same as the variant initially found in the UK, suggesting it was imported from an overseas source, Beijing authorities said on Wednesday.
- Jilin says 83.45% of recent cases were asymptomatic carriers Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- Northeast China, especially Jilin Province, is suffering from a resurgence in COVID-19 cases, mostly with asymptomatic patients, so areas in the region are carrying out large-scale nucleic acid testing for all local residents to discover silent carriers.
- Shenzhen reports COVID-19 'relapse' case, coming back from Africa Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- Shenzhen city, Guangdong Province, reported one imported COVID-19 re-infected silent carrier from Africa on Tuesday, who tested positive for the coronavirus in September 2020 while in Africa before her symptoms disappeared after taking medication, Shenzhen authorities announced on Wednesday, making it a second "relapse" case following one found in Hangzhou earlier this month.
- Epidemic situation in Hebei basically under control Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- The outbreak of COVID-19 in N China's Hebei Province has been obviously curbed, an official said, as daily new cases in Hebei have been decreasing for 5 consecutive days.
- China has administered over 15 million COVID-19 vaccine doses: official Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- China has vaccinated more than 15 million people as of Wednesday and will expand vaccinations to include the elderly and children as the country rolls out mass vaccination against coronavirus, a Chinese health official said.
- Employee of COVID-19 testing agency detained for falsifying testing results Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- Police have detained an employee of a COVID-19 testing agency in Longyao county, Xingtai of North China's Hebei Province, for falsifying testing results. The company in question has had its business operations suspended.
- Residents of Beijing's Daxing district undergo virus test, banned from leaving capital Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- Beijing has reported seven local COVID-19 cases, six of which are from Daxing district. Home to more than 1.7 million permanent residents, Daxing has strengthened prevention measures, including the launch of sweeping district-wide nucleic acid testing, banning residents from leaving Beijing, and shutting down schools and nursing homes.
- Western media making vaccines an invisible geopolitical issue: Chinese FM Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Wednesday denounced some Western media for making COVID-19 vaccines an invisible geopolitical issue and attempting to promote Pfizer's vaccine while criticizing Chinese vaccines.
- Chinese mainland reports 103 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday recorded 103 new COVID-19 cases â€“ 88 local transmissions and 15 from overseas, the National Health Commission said on Wednesday.
- China Reports 103 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 20 Jan 2021 -- China reported 103 new COVID-19 cases during the past 24 hours, Reuters reported.
- Brazil launches mass inoculation of Chinese CoronaVac vaccine against COVID-19 People's Daily 20 Jan 2021 -- Brazil launched a mass immunization campaign against the COVID-19 pandemic in every state starting at 5:00 p.m. Monday local time (2000 GMT).
- Iraq approves use of Chinese, British COVID-19 vaccines; Israel extends lockdown for 10 days People's Daily 20 Jan 2021 -- Iraq on Tuesday approved the emergency use of China's Sinopharm and British AstraZeneca vaccines to contain the spread of COVID-19 pandemic. Meanwhile, Israel decided to extend nationwide lockdown for 10 days.
- Pakistan in phase III trials of Chinese vaccine with expectation to see COVID-free future People's Daily 20 Jan 2021 -- Having volunteered to take part in the phase III trials of a Chinese COVID-19 vaccine in a private hospital here, Majid Abbasi had mixed feelings.
- US should rejoin Iran nuclear deal with no preconditions: China Press TV 20 Jan 2021 -- China has called on the incoming US administration to rejoin the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), with no preconditions and remove the unilateral sanctions on the country.
- Biden to make sure Taiwan can defend itself: Blinken CNA 20 Jan 2021 -- The Joe Biden administration will maintain the United States' commitment to ensure that Taiwan has the ability to defend itself against aggression, said Antony Blinken, Biden's pick to head the U.S. Department of State.
- Shift in U.S.-Taiwan Ties Unlikely Under Biden: Analysts Radio Free Asia 20 Jan 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden's pick for Secretary of State Antony Blinken has welcomed moves by the Trump administration to remove curbs on official contacts with the democratic island of Taiwan, although analysts said it remains to be seen whether the new administration will continue to move in the direction of greater recognition for the Taiwanese government.
- China provides minesweeping equipment for Cambodia PLA Daily 20 Jan 2021 -- A new batch of minesweeping equipment donated by China to Cambodia arrived in Phnom Penh on January 19, 2021. Chinese Ambassador to Cambodia Wang Wentian and first Vice President of the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) Ly Thuch attended the handover ceremony.
- China's space tracking ship completes satellite launch monitoring PLA Daily 20 Jan 2021 -- China's space tracking ship Yuanwang-5 completed its mission in the Pacific Ocean to monitor and ensure the launch of the Tiantong 1-03 satellite on Wednesday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on January 20, 2021 PRC MofA 20 Jan 2021
- China Sanctions 28 Former Trump Administration Officials VOA 20 Jan 2021 -- China imposed sanctions on Trump administration officials just minutes after Joe Biden was sworn in as the 46th president of the United States, according to the Chinese Foreign Ministry.
- Clown-like Pompeo will face trial of history: Chinese FM Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has lied too much and what he has "determined" is another ridiculous lie, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Wednesday, noting that the politician infamous for lying has made himself a clown and joke with his last frenzy.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Announces Sanctions on Pompeo and Others PRC MofA 20 Jan 2021 -- "Over the past few years, some anti-China politicians in the United States, out of their selfish political interests and prejudice and hatred against China and showing no regard for the interests of the Chinese and American people, have planned, promoted and executed a series of crazy moves which have gravely interfered in China's internal affairs, undermined China's interests, offended the Chinese people, and seriously disrupted China-U.S. relations. "
- China Sanctions Mike Pompeo, Peter Navarro, John Bolton, Steve Bannon and 24 Other US Citizens Sputnik 20 Jan 2021 -- A new sanctions list that includes many members of the now-former Trump administration was released shortly after the new US president, Joe Biden, was sworn in.
- Planned Changes to Hong Kong Immigration Law Spark Fears of Exit Curbs Radio Free Asia 20 Jan 2021 -- Hong Kong's government is seeking to amend the city's immigration laws to enable security chiefs to ban passengers from taking any form of transport in or out of the city, sparking concern that the authorities may be getting ready to stop people from leaving amid a crackdown on dissent under the national security law.
- China Dismisses Pompeo Designation Of Genocide Against Uyghurs RFE/RL 20 Jan 2021 -- China has dismissed a declaration by the United States that Beijing is guilty of genocide against ethnic Uyghurs and other minorities saying the designation "is a piece of wastepaper."
- Jack Ma makes 1st public appearance via video link since Alibaba came under tougher scrutiny Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- Jack Ma Yun, the English teacher turned business magnate behind Chinese e-commerce behemoth Alibaba, appeared during a rural teacher-themed social welfare event via video link on Wednesday, according to media reports.
- China's Richest Man Makes First Public Appearance Since October VOA 20 Jan 2021 -- Chinese billionaire Jack Ma has made his first public appearance since openly criticizing China's financial regulatory system just over two months ago.
- China unveils draft rules to tighten oversight on non-banking payment platforms Global Times 20 Jan 2021 -- China's central bank unveiled draft rules for non-banking payment institutions on Wednesday, intending to flesh out the regulatory toolbox that would include an anti-monopoly regulatory toughening of the payment sphere.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list